Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Krimped House Water Supply Pipe

My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on
this pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2011 1:09 AM, Terry Shaw wrote:
My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on this
pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

Why would shutting the water off be extremely difficult? In every place
I know you can call the water utility and tell them you need to do
maintenance and they will schedule a turn off at no charge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crimped House Water Supply Pipe

In article ,
Terry Shaw wrote:

My public water supply pipe is crimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't continue to be fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on
this pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

If nothing is broken, then there's nothing to fix. You're already done.
Now go watch a little football.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 7:45*am, George wrote:
On 1/8/2011 1:09 AM, Terry Shaw wrote:

My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on this
pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

Why would shutting the water off be extremely difficult? In every place
I know you can call the water utility and tell them you need to do
maintenance and they will schedule a turn off at no charge.

Ditto. Or in many cases you can shut it off yourself with a street
key. Don't see
why it would be hard to work on. As long as there is a long enough
piece of good
plastic pipe to be able to re-insert the fitting and double clamp it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Be nice to know if the krimped pipe is kopper, or Pex, or
some other kombination of konstruction. Sometimes, if you
krimp kopper bakk to round, it leacs. This kan be more
koncern than you had before you tried to kure a problem
that's not giving you krap.

If it is kopper, a good kraftsman of a plumber may be able
to kut out some of the kopper tubing, and karefully put in a
patch pipe with slip koupling. Some potable water solder,
and you're fine till the next kentury or more.

Kondolences, on having to korrect a problem that's not
kausing you konsternation.

--
Kristopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus Krist

"Terry Shaw" wrote in message
My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters
the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for
a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be
fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to
work on
this pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be
extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with
something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Shaw" wrote in message
My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house and
just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time and I
have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. Water pressure is
very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on this
pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that would
clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

Here in my North NJ town it's a $65.00 charge/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 1:23*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Terry Shaw wrote:

My public water supply pipe is crimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. *It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't continue to be fine. *Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. *Since there is no simple way to work on
this pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

If nothing is broken, then there's nothing to fix. You're already done.
Now go watch a little football.

Perhaps he means kinked not crimped?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 6:09*am, Terry Shaw wrote:
My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. *It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. *Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. *Since there is no simple way to work on
this pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

If your pipe is kinked it will be weakened. Whether it would ever leak
or burst, no-one can say. But as it's before your stop tap, if it did,
you could have a major flood and as you don't know where the street
valve is it could be catastrophic.
So you do need to look at this. You need to find the street valve and
then consider the repair. People here can advise you on the repair if
you give more details.
Posted to alt.home.repair

GTS-NJ wrote:
"Terry Shaw" wrote in message
My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the
house and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a
long time and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be
fine. Water pressure is very strong in the house and there are no
leaks. I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on
this pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

Here in my North NJ town it's a $65.00 charge/

Here in Seattle, I go out to the planting strip, lift the meter cover, and turn
the valve off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LUVIT!

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Be nice to know if the krimped pipe is kopper, or Pex, or
some other kombination of konstruction. Sometimes, if you
krimp kopper bakk to round, it leacs. This kan be more
koncern than you had before you tried to kure a problem
that's not giving you krap.

If it is kopper, a good kraftsman of a plumber may be able
to kut out some of the kopper tubing, and karefully put in a
patch pipe with slip koupling. Some potable water solder,
and you're fine till the next kentury or more.

Kondolences, on having to korrect a problem that's not
kausing you konsternation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 8, 9:36*am, "GTS-NJ" wrote:

snip

Here in my North NJ town it's a $65.00 charge/

New Jersey is out of money, so be sympathetic.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2011 1:09 AM, Terry Shaw wrote:
My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on this
pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

Who is telling you to fix it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2011 6:45 AM, George wrote:
On 1/8/2011 1:09 AM, Terry Shaw wrote:
My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on this
pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

Why would shutting the water off be extremely difficult? In every place
I know you can call the water utility and tell them you need to do
maintenance and they will schedule a turn off at no charge.

screw that, i just walk out, stick my water wrench in there and turn it
off. I got no time for water companies every time i need water off.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE

some years ago I did some plumbing at my moms home, turned main water
valve on at meter and a old line split.the valve refused to close
again.

called water company as basement flooded, water company came right
away but took 2 hours to find main shut off, buried by road
repaving, found main sewer floor drain didnt work good either......

I ended up hooking a garden hose to meter out to get water outdoors.

lets just say my first future move is to always be able to close main
street valve.

my best friend found my experience funny, till one christmas eve his
main lead line split at meter and water company had trouble closing
main street valve, its over a 100 years old.

he had 2 seperate ball valves installed after his adventure.

always make certain your main shut off valve location is known and
accesible for any utility!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kourse, I'm being kompletely komikal, here. I'd konsider if
the krimpted water like konsited of enough of konkern to be
worth the effort.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in
message ...
LUVIT!

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Be nice to know if the krimped pipe is kopper, or Pex, or
some other kombination of konstruction. Sometimes, if you
krimp kopper bakk to round, it leacs. This kan be more
koncern than you had before you tried to kure a problem
that's not giving you krap.

If it is kopper, a good kraftsman of a plumber may be able
to kut out some of the kopper tubing, and karefully put in
patch pipe with slip koupling. Some potable water solder,
and you're fine till the next kentury or more.

Kondolences, on having to korrect a problem that's not
kausing you konsternation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. You know, I was wondering that also.
However, I didn't think to ask. Observant of
you, and good of you to ask.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

You haven't answered the question of who told you
to fix the pipe and that could be key to your answer
as well. If it was a home inspector and this involves
a sale, then some kludge solution to try to strengthen
a kinked pipe, while already not the best idea, is
probably useless. A buyer isn't likely to accept it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So who was the dummy who landscaped over the shut off valve without
putting an extension on it?-

someday that shutoff might be critical, best to find and extend it
before disaster is in progress.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 01:09:22 -0500, Terry Shaw wrote:

My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on
this pipe, and shutting off water from the outside would be extremely
difficult, is there a way to strengthen the pipe with something that
would clamp over the existing pipe?

Thanks!

Wrap it with the Pasco 59054 Rubber Sealant Rapid Seal Pipe Repair
Tape.
http://www.pascospecialty.com/catalo..._CATALOG_E.pdf
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDQQ8wIwAg#
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 00:30:58 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house
and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time
and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be fine. Water
pressure is very strong in the house and there are no leaks.

I'm being told to fix this. Since there is no simple way to work on
this

One thing never mentioned in this thread (that I saw) is WHO told you
to fix this? If it's been there for years, just leave it. This
sounds like a realtor's opinion, and half of them are idiots when it
comes to home repair.