Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default best pipe for cold water supply?

What's the best pipe to use to get cold water
from the input in the cellar up to a tank in the loft?

Blue plastic pipe?

If the water in it freezes will it not split like copper does?

And what are the best joints to use?

The existing pipe is metal with threaded ends,
but some of it has been replaced with black plastic.

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
What's the best pipe to use to get cold water
from the input in the cellar up to a tank in the loft?

Blue plastic pipe?

If the water in it freezes will it not split like copper does?

And what are the best joints to use?

The existing pipe is metal with threaded ends,
but some of it has been replaced with black plastic.

[george]

The black plastic will date from the mid 1980's, predating the blue.
Previously over the years I've used both for the rising main in my own
houses with no problems whatsoever.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is no heating at that end of the house
so I want pipe and joints which won't split
if the water in it freezes...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
What's the best pipe to use to get cold water
from the input in the cellar up to a tank in the loft?

Blue plastic pipe?

If the water in it freezes will it not split like copper does?

And what are the best joints to use?

The existing pipe is metal with threaded ends,
but some of it has been replaced with black plastic.

[george]

The black plastic will date from the mid 1980's, predating the blue.
Previously over the years I've used both for the rising main in my own
houses with no problems whatsoever.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
What's the best pipe to use to get cold water
from the input in the cellar up to a tank in the loft?

Blue plastic pipe?

If the water in it freezes will it not split like copper does?

And what are the best joints to use?

The existing pipe is metal with threaded ends,
but some of it has been replaced with black plastic.

[george]

The black plastic will date from the mid 1980's, predating the blue.
Previously over the years I've used both for the rising main in my own
houses with no problems whatsoever.

Conventionally polyethylene is unly used for underground supplies (it is
subject to damage by UV so should definitely not be used for
permanent above-ground supplies outdoors). I'd use PolyButylene (Hep2O and
friends) or PEX (PolyEthylene, crosslinked - Speedfit & the likes).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

There's nowt as queer as folk.
Especially other folk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
What's the best pipe to use to get cold water
from the input in the cellar up to a tank in the loft?

Blue plastic pipe?

If the water in it freezes will it not split like copper does?

And what are the best joints to use?

The existing pipe is metal with threaded ends,
but some of it has been replaced with black plastic.

[george]
The black plastic will date from the mid 1980's, predating the blue.
Previously over the years I've used both for the rising main in my own
houses with no problems whatsoever.

Conventionally polyethylene is unly used for underground supplies (it is
subject to damage by UV so should definitely not be used for
permanent above-ground supplies outdoors). I'd use PolyButylene (Hep2O and
friends) or PEX (PolyEthylene, crosslinked - Speedfit & the likes).

reading between the lines i guess that the old black pipe is
polyethylene which i should replace,
and that the blue pipe is UV proof,

Is it ok to buy blue pipe for the cold rising main
from the farm supplies shop down the road,
and what width of pipe should I get?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "george (dicegeorge)" contains these words:

reading between the lines i guess that the old black pipe is
polyethylene which i should replace,
and that the blue pipe is UV proof,

Is it ok to buy blue pipe for the cold rising main
from the farm supplies shop down the road,
and what width of pipe should I get?

There are various varieties of "old black pipe" to various standards,
but for your purposes it's enough to assume that the old pipe is to
imperial standards and will probably be OK long after you're gone.

The blue pipe will be to current dimensional specification but is not
designed to be UV proof. However, it's not going to disintegrate if the
odd bit of it is visible inside out of direct sunlight.

why does my basement cold water pipe only rattle during cold weather? Joe Home Repair 7 November 7th 07 02:26 AM
"sweaty" cold water supply pipe blueman Home Repair 30 July 24th 05 03:23 PM
Main cold water supply ??? Rich UK diy 5 January 24th 05 09:22 PM
Pipe run between Cold water tank and hot water cylinder. John Durham UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 10:02 AM
Can you put a water supply pipe and a gas supply pipe in the same conduit? Suz UK diy 4 September 9th 03 03:06 AM