Posted to uk.d-i-y
george (dicegeorge) george (dicegeorge) is offline

Default best pipe for cold water supply?

YAPH wrote:
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 22:16:06 +0000, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

There is no heating at that end of the house
so I want pipe and joints which won't split
if the water in it freezes...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
What's the best pipe to use to get cold water
from the input in the cellar up to a tank in the loft?

Blue plastic pipe?

If the water in it freezes will it not split like copper does?

And what are the best joints to use?

The existing pipe is metal with threaded ends,
but some of it has been replaced with black plastic.

[george]
The black plastic will date from the mid 1980's, predating the blue.
Previously over the years I've used both for the rising main in my own
houses with no problems whatsoever.

Conventionally polyethylene is unly used for underground supplies (it is
subject to damage by UV so should definitely not be used for
permanent above-ground supplies outdoors). I'd use PolyButylene (Hep2O and
friends) or PEX (PolyEthylene, crosslinked - Speedfit & the likes).

reading between the lines i guess that the old black pipe is
polyethylene which i should replace,
and that the blue pipe is UV proof,

Is it ok to buy blue pipe for the cold rising main
from the farm supplies shop down the road,
and what width of pipe should I get?

[g]