Rich

Default Main cold water supply ???

Hi all, hope all is well in 2005, I live in a first floor flat and on the
ground floor there are two flats so total is 3 flats in the building, these
are all fed from the road which is about 20 meters from the road stop cock
to where it comes in to the ground floor flat, this pipe seems to be black
and only about 3/4" in dia on the outside.
Sometimes we don't get any water out of our taps at all and at the best the
pressure is stoppable with a thumb over the tap end.. If I approach the
water company and have a new supply put in will it have to go on a water
meter or would the water co do this new supply for free ?? I presume the
3/4" pipe is not big enough for the 3 flats given the distance to flats etc:

Rich

--
To reply remove " spam "

Old Bill

Rich wrote:
Hi all, hope all is well in 2005, I live in a first floor flat and on the
ground floor there are two flats so total is 3 flats in the building, these
are all fed from the road which is about 20 meters from the road stop cock
to where it comes in to the ground floor flat, this pipe seems to be black
and only about 3/4" in dia on the outside.
Sometimes we don't get any water out of our taps at all and at the best the
pressure is stoppable with a thumb over the tap end.. If I approach the
water company and have a new supply put in will it have to go on a water
meter or would the water co do this new supply for free ?? I presume the
3/4" pipe is not big enough for the 3 flats given the distance to flats etc:

Rich

In London, in a similar setup, I enquired about a separate supply for
one flat they said they would treat it same as a new build. The cost
quoted was exhorbitant. I think their stance is the developer who made
these houses into flats should have sorted out the supplies and the it
was adequate for the original house. Having a meter wasn't compulsory
Christian McArdle

If I approach the water company and have a new supply put in will it
have to go on a water meter

That's up to them. However, you would be strongly advised to request one.
You are very likely to pay less on a meter in a gardenless flat, even with
long daily showers or baths.

or would the water co do this new supply for free ??

Sorry to disappoint. They use new water connections to buy the chairmen
their yachts.

I presume the 3/4" pipe is not big enough for the 3 flats given the

distance to flats etc:

Unfortanately, the replacement will not increase the static pressure when
others in the building are not using water. It will improve it when they
are, though. It should greatly increase the flow rate, though.

However, the low pressure could work to your advantage. The water company
must provide at least 9lpm and 1 bar pressure. It sounds like they are
failing to do this and might have to upgrade you for free. This could
actually involve upgrading street mains, if the pressure is that low.

Christian.

Rich

Can someone tell me what this works out to in pressure so I can work out if
I am ok or not,

Quoted from Portsmouth Water..
"We will maintain a minimum pressure of water in a communication pipe
serving premises supplied with water, of 7 metres static head."
--
To reply remove " spam "
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Is the 9 litres a min at 1 bar the national limit or does it differ? see
above for the Quote. I surpose that they would have to fit a larger pipe to
supply our 3 flats with the desired flow and pressure !!!! For free if its
below the limits..

Rich

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Quoted from Portsmouth Water..
"We will maintain a minimum pressure of water in a communication pipe
serving premises supplied with water, of 7 metres static head."

That is about 0.7 bar.

Is the 9 litres a min at 1 bar the national limit or does it differ?

Clearly it differs!

above for the Quote. I surpose that they would have to fit a larger pipe

supply our 3 flats with the desired flow and pressure !!!! For free if its
below the limits..

The replacement pipe will not affect the genuinely static pressure. However,
with such a low pressure from the street, you need a particularly large
supply pipe to get a good flow rate. Think 32mm MDPE.

Christian.

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM