Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Underlayment - Screws vs ring shank

I've always used no-snap screws for putting down underlayment for vinyl
then filled in countersinks with flooring skimcoat/filler.

What about ring shank nails? I would think the heads do not get driven
enough to not show throuh after a period of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 11:37*am, Red Green wrote:
I've always used no-snap screws for putting down underlayment for vinyl
then filled in countersinks with flooring skimcoat/filler.

What about ring shank nails? I would think the heads do not get driven
enough to not show throuh after a period of time.

You mean the ring shanks that are meant for underlayment? If the
heads are flush (why wouldn't they be?) they're fine, but if the
installer was a little meat-fisted and put some hammer dings in the
underlayment then you'll need to use filler. I just plan on using
filler anyway for the seams, and I hit whatever else needs hitting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Jan 7, 11:37*am, Red Green wrote:
I've always used no-snap screws for putting down underlayment for
vinyl then filled in countersinks with flooring skimcoat/filler.

What about ring shank nails? I would think the heads do not get
driven enough to not show throuh after a period of time.

You mean the ring shanks that are meant for underlayment?

No, the ones that say Ring Shank Underlayment on the box :-)

If the
heads are flush (why wouldn't they be?) they're fine,

Don't know. I've never used them on an vinyl underlayments (not luan)
that tend to be harder material. Doesn't take much of a bump to
eventually mold to it. Of course, a nailing pattern would be more
obvious than a bump or two. Could call it a "feature".

but if the
installer was a little meat-fisted and put some hammer dings in the
underlayment then you'll need to use filler. I just plan on using
filler anyway for the seams, and I hit whatever else needs hitting.

Yep, seams gotta be filled. Hmmm, might have some mortar mix laying
around :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 7, 10:37*am, Red Green wrote:
I've always used no-snap screws for putting down underlayment for vinyl
then filled in countersinks with flooring skimcoat/filler.

What about ring shank nails? I would think the heads do not get driven
enough to not show throuh after a period of time.

FWIW, Iv'e used Senco GL21 and Gl24 ring shanks in my SnN 60 for years
on subfloors, siding, or whatever. Its easy to set the head just a
scosche below surface and go over the area with a bit of Bondo. I
like the Bondo because it is ready for sanding so quickly and fills up
seam areas so well that need help. Right now there are a couple of
unfinished projects on my list that have been put down this way and
the area looks fine for flooring crew when I'm ready.
These were 8d and 5/8" ply, so wouldn't apply to Luan, probably.

Joe