Posted to rec.woodworking
larry

Default new vinyl floor underlayment

Hello to the group. I am going to redo my entire kitchen, while shopping for
the vinyn sheet goods (new name for lineoleum sp?). The salesman told me
that the new 1/4 inch underlayment I was going to put down with screws
should be stapled and the staples should be spaced every 1 inch along the
edges and every 4 inches in the field of the sheet. This means a hell of a
lot of staples in an L shaped floor (approx 250 sq. ft.). Is he correct or
blowing smoke up my butt? Would I be better off using ring shanked nails and
maybe construction adheasive? What spacing should I use for nails or even
screws? I give thanks to the group for any help you can give me. Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob AZ

Larry

This means a hell of a lot of staples in an L shaped floor (approx
250 sq. ft.).

I would think the salesman has a lot of staples for sale. Don't they
ues a contact or similar adhesive for this and roll is down?

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tha Anonymous

Glue and screws is the method I've always used. Space the screws on a
12"x12" grid, countersink them slightly and cover over the screw heads
with some non-shrinking filler. Make sure everything is in the same
plane and the seams are tight, or it will telegraph through the
linoleum.

Woody

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger amd Missy Behnke

I spent 14 years in the floor covering industry and can tell you that
improper floor preparation is the source of 85% of floor covering complaints
and failures.

To install underlayment.

1. Choose an product that is recommended by the manufacturer and the
flooring manufacturer to be used as an underlayment.

2. Follow the installation instructions provided by the underlayment and the
floor covering manufacturer.

If you follow these 2 steps you butt is covered. It would be a shame to
have you new floor ruined by using an improper product or procedure.

I always used a product called MultiPly. It was fastened with 7/8 inch,
divergent point staples. Spacing was 4 inches on the edges and 6 inches in
the field. All joints were touch sanded.

Roger
"larry" wrote in message
Hello to the group. I am going to redo my entire kitchen, while shopping
for the vinyn sheet goods (new name for lineoleum sp?). The salesman told
me that the new 1/4 inch underlayment I was going to put down with screws
should be stapled and the staples should be spaced every 1 inch along the
edges and every 4 inches in the field of the sheet. This means a hell of
a lot of staples in an L shaped floor (approx 250 sq. ft.). Is he correct
or blowing smoke up my butt? Would I be better off using ring shanked
nails and maybe construction adheasive? What spacing should I use for
nails or even screws? I give thanks to the group for any help you can give
me. Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"larry" wrote in message
Hello to the group. I am going to redo my entire kitchen, while shopping

for
the vinyn sheet goods (new name for lineoleum sp?). The salesman told me
that the new 1/4 inch underlayment I was going to put down with screws
should be stapled and the staples should be spaced every 1 inch along the
edges and every 4 inches in the field of the sheet. This means a hell of

lot of staples in an L shaped floor (approx 250 sq. ft.). Is he correct or
blowing smoke up my butt? Would I be better off using ring shanked nails

and
maybe construction adheasive? What spacing should I use for nails or even
screws? I give thanks to the group for any help you can give me. Larry

Actually, he is not too far off with the staple/nail/screw pattern. The
biggest problem I've noticed with DIY'ers installing vinyl floors is either
not properly fastening the underlayment, or butting the joints so tight when
they use plywood, with no adhesive and a poor fastener pattern, is that the
underlayment eventually buckles with changes in RH/Temp.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

Vinyl is not linoleum. You can still get real linoleum floor
coverings -- it's sometimes used commercially. But it's more
expensive than vinyl (and holds up a lot better).

larry wrote:
Hello to the group. I am going to redo my entire kitchen, while shopping for
the vinyn sheet goods (new name for lineoleum sp?).

Posted to rec.woodworking
klaatu

On Fri, 19 May 2006 00:50:05 -0400, "larry" wrote:

Hello to the group. I am going to redo my entire kitchen, while shopping for
the vinyn sheet goods (new name for lineoleum sp?). The salesman told me
that the new 1/4 inch underlayment I was going to put down with screws
should be stapled and the staples should be spaced every 1 inch along the
edges and every 4 inches in the field of the sheet. This means a hell of a
lot of staples in an L shaped floor (approx 250 sq. ft.). Is he correct or
blowing smoke up my butt? Would I be better off using ring shanked nails and
maybe construction adheasive? What spacing should I use for nails or even
screws? I give thanks to the group for any help you can give me. Larry

You may want to check out the new vinyl flooring that need not be
glued down. It is fiberglass backed instead of cardboard backed.
It also comes 4 meter wide, about 13 feet. Maybe a little belt sanding
and self leveling stuff would be good enough. At least if you saw a
bump or hollow telegraph thru the flooring you could just roll it up
and fix it.

Hardieplank versus vinyl fishman35 Home Repair 4 August 13th 06 02:55 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
How dangerous is 3% asbestos in vinyl flooring? [email protected] Home Repair 21 August 26th 04 07:53 AM
Vinyl windows and siding: need to make decision Pat Kiewicz Home Repair 1 July 10th 03 03:09 PM