Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default new vinyl floor underlayment

"larry" wrote in message
Hello to the group. I am going to redo my entire kitchen, while shopping

for
the vinyn sheet goods (new name for lineoleum sp?). The salesman told me
that the new 1/4 inch underlayment I was going to put down with screws
should be stapled and the staples should be spaced every 1 inch along the
edges and every 4 inches in the field of the sheet. This means a hell of

lot of staples in an L shaped floor (approx 250 sq. ft.). Is he correct or
blowing smoke up my butt? Would I be better off using ring shanked nails

and
maybe construction adheasive? What spacing should I use for nails or even
screws? I give thanks to the group for any help you can give me. Larry

Actually, he is not too far off with the staple/nail/screw pattern. The
biggest problem I've noticed with DIY'ers installing vinyl floors is either
not properly fastening the underlayment, or butting the joints so tight when
they use plywood, with no adhesive and a poor fastener pattern, is that the
underlayment eventually buckles with changes in RH/Temp.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06