Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Vinyl Underlayment - Screws vs ring shank

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Jan 7, 11:37*am, Red Green wrote:
I've always used no-snap screws for putting down underlayment for
vinyl then filled in countersinks with flooring skimcoat/filler.

What about ring shank nails? I would think the heads do not get
driven enough to not show throuh after a period of time.

You mean the ring shanks that are meant for underlayment?

No, the ones that say Ring Shank Underlayment on the box :-)

If the
heads are flush (why wouldn't they be?) they're fine,

Don't know. I've never used them on an vinyl underlayments (not luan)
that tend to be harder material. Doesn't take much of a bump to
eventually mold to it. Of course, a nailing pattern would be more
obvious than a bump or two. Could call it a "feature".

but if the
installer was a little meat-fisted and put some hammer dings in the
underlayment then you'll need to use filler. I just plan on using
filler anyway for the seams, and I hit whatever else needs hitting.

Yep, seams gotta be filled. Hmmm, might have some mortar mix laying
around :-)