Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shingles

I'd like to put a new roof on, well the insurance company says I need
to and I can't argue with them.

It's been a long time since I've done any shingling and I was
thinking of getting something like this:

#2 Owens Corning ARC 30
http://www.northsidematerialbrokers....r_Products.php

Is that a good deal/product or should I look elsewhere.

and contracting out to a pickup truck full of Mexicans. I've got a
friend who knows how to work that and has done shingling before. I'sd
rent a nail gun and I've already got flashing.

Is it still 30# felt or is there something new?

Jeff

#2 Owens Corning ARC 30http://www.northsidematerialbrokers.com/Exterior_Products.php

Is that a good deal/product or should I look elsewhere.

and contracting out to a pickup truck full of Mexicans. I've got a
friend who knows how to work that and has done shingling before. I'sd
rent a nail gun and I've already got flashing.

Is it still 30# felt or is there something new?

* *Jeff

Jeff - since I plan on residing where I am until they carrry me out in
a body bag I redid my roof. I hired a pro, used a fibreglass shingle
and used the ice dam material on the entire house - had my rain
gutters upgraded as well. No worries. DIY on the roof is fine if you
know what you are doing. If your insurance wants it upgraded you may
have put in a claim? They may want to see a receipt and send their own
inspector out to see if it was not only done but done correctly.

#2 Owens Corning ARC 30
http://www.northsidematerialbrokers....r_Products.php

Is that a good deal/product or should I look elsewhere.

and contracting out to a pickup truck full of Mexicans. I've got a
friend who knows how to work that and has done shingling before. I'sd
rent a nail gun and I've already got flashing.

Is it still 30# felt or is there something new?

Jeff

As far as the nailgun renting, consider buying one on ebay for $125-150
(new with warranty). Use at your pace. Compare to renting and rushing.
Search ebay for "coil roofing nailer". There's also Harbor Freight.

30# is the heavy weight. May be what what your, and most codes, require
now. 15# is the basic stuff. Saw some guys doing a roof last summer and
indeed they were using something newer. Not talking about waterproof
shingle underlayment (WSU). Can't recall what it was. I'm sure a local
lumber supply could fill you in if no one here does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Saw some guys doing a roof last summer and
indeed they were using something newer. Not talking about waterproof
shingle underlayment (WSU).

When we had our last house built (metal roof), they used a blue poly membrane
instead of felt or wsu. Not sure how that works. Felt is supposed to carry water
vapor away from the roof deck. Plastic wouldn't do that, but then you wouldn't
want water vapor under metal anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

if the insurance company is concerned about your old roof you may need
decking replaced, and dont forget hauling away old shingles and
debris...

dumpsters can cst a lot

#2 Owens Corning ARC 30
http://www.northsidematerialbrokers....r_Products.php

Is that a good deal/product or should I look elsewhere.

and contracting out to a pickup truck full of Mexicans. I've got a
friend who knows how to work that and has done shingling before. I'sd
rent a nail gun and I've already got flashing.

Is it still 30# felt or is there something new?

Jeff

As far as the nailgun renting, consider buying one on ebay for $125-150
(new with warranty). Use at your pace. Compare to renting and rushing.
Search ebay for "coil roofing nailer". There's also Harbor Freight.

Thanks. Found this locally:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tls/2148878813.html

30# is the heavy weight. May be what what your, and most codes, require
now. 15# is the basic stuff. Saw some guys doing a roof last summer and
indeed they were using something newer. Not talking about waterproof
shingle underlayment (WSU). Can't recall what it was. I'm sure a local
lumber supply could fill you in if no one here does.

The WSU is interesting stuff and may be what I was thinking of.

I've reroofed parts of my house (taking it down to the decking) before
but much of it is ancient (29 house) and way too many layers. Not
knowing how to deal with that and not having the resources at the time I
roll roofed much of it a few years back. Now it will all have to come
off and whatever goes on I want to last.

I noticed that there are several architectural shingles available, but
I don't know whether they are worth the extra money. Or if I should
should just stick with a good brand of a conventional shingle.

Jeff

#2 Owens Corning ARC 30
[...]

How old are you, and when is the last time you did sustained work 15-20
feet off the ground?

I'm nearing 60.

Not meaning to sound crass, but roofing is young
man's work. I did several roofs as a kid, as well as being the job site
gofer running up and down a ladder, and thought nothing of it. Now, 30+
years later, anything that major I would hire out.

Oh, I agree. My impression is to use day labor and supervise everything
(note pickup truck line). It's a bit of a risk, but there are a lot of
experienced roofers in that pool. I'll hire a crew chief, perhaps a
buddy that speaks Spanish. The construction trade here runs on
Hispanics. No shortage of them.

As the saying on AHR
goes, I don't bounce worth a damn any more. Not so bad nailing shingles
in the middle of a 5-12 roof, but if roof is steep enough to need jacks,
or when trimming and flashing gable ends, the ground is starting to look
awful far away. Gravity is a bitch, etc. We have 2 guys at work that
will never walk right again, another one that lasted 2 days in the
hospital before dying, all in the last 3-4 years. (In a population of
about 2000 workers, average age 49.)

Ouch. 4-12 or so and only have one wall at near two story height.

But if your heart is set on doing it yourself- 30 year shingles, of
whatever style is common on the fresh roofs in your neighborhood. Some
houses just look wrong with the textured shingles, IMHO, but if resale
is a consideration,

Nope.

traditional 3-tab now says 'cheap roof' to most
people. Definitely strip entire roof to bare wood (a face at a time),
and use a big iron bar to thump the wood every few feet. The difference
in the sound and bounce will make the soft spots jump out.

3/4 ext OSB? Prime cut edges.

Replace those
areas with appropriate material. Good time to update your vent caps, and
extend any fart fans that currently dump into attic. For underlayment,
15 lb felt is fine, with the expen$ive self-sealing stuff on the bottom
3 feet, in valleys, and around penetrations. For valleys, go by what you
see on new roofs nearby- nobody around here does traditional open
valleys or weaved ones any more- they all do 'tight slit' valleys.

OK. I'll look around.

For the tearoff, rent a dumpster, and spend 50 bucks at HF for the
scraping and prying tools. Your back will thank you, and you can resell
them on CraigsList when you are done, for most of what you paid for
them. And have enough cheap tarps and cleats available to 'blue roof'
the place in case weather changes suddenly, or you run out of steam and
need to knock off for a day to rest up.

OK. I have most of this now. Looking for one of those shovel looking
things with teeth.

Jeff

New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Repair 34 March 10th 17 02:06 AM
Shingles David L. Martel Home Repair 11 November 2nd 07 08:04 PM
how to do the last row of shingles? Suanne Lippman Home Repair 6 May 24th 07 08:25 PM
New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down? Joe Home Ownership 10 November 30th 04 05:04 AM
Shingles SteveL Home Repair 1 September 21st 04 08:09 PM