Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default shingles

On 1/7/2011 10:16 AM, Red Green wrote:
Jeff wrote in news:ig5rkb$rc9$1
@news.albasani.net:

I'd like to put a new roof on, well the insurance company says I need
to and I can't argue with them.

It's been a long time since I've done any shingling and I was
thinking of getting something like this:

#2 Owens Corning ARC 30
http://www.northsidematerialbrokers....r_Products.php

Is that a good deal/product or should I look elsewhere.

and contracting out to a pickup truck full of Mexicans. I've got a
friend who knows how to work that and has done shingling before. I'sd
rent a nail gun and I've already got flashing.

Is it still 30# felt or is there something new?

Jeff

As far as the nailgun renting, consider buying one on ebay for $125-150
(new with warranty). Use at your pace. Compare to renting and rushing.
Search ebay for "coil roofing nailer". There's also Harbor Freight.

Thanks. Found this locally:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tls/2148878813.html

30# is the heavy weight. May be what what your, and most codes, require
now. 15# is the basic stuff. Saw some guys doing a roof last summer and
indeed they were using something newer. Not talking about waterproof
shingle underlayment (WSU). Can't recall what it was. I'm sure a local
lumber supply could fill you in if no one here does.

The WSU is interesting stuff and may be what I was thinking of.

I've reroofed parts of my house (taking it down to the decking) before
but much of it is ancient (29 house) and way too many layers. Not
knowing how to deal with that and not having the resources at the time I
roll roofed much of it a few years back. Now it will all have to come
off and whatever goes on I want to last.

I noticed that there are several architectural shingles available, but
I don't know whether they are worth the extra money. Or if I should
should just stick with a good brand of a conventional shingle.

Jeff