SteveL

Default Shingles

I have a 25 year old cape style home in Massachusetts. I was cleaning the
gutters
recently (in the rain, naturally) when I noticed that the shingles seem to
be saturated
with water.

I'm guessing I've needed new shingles (roofing?) for a while? How can one
tell?
The house was built in 79, so it's 25 years old. Time for new shingles? Any
advantages
of any particular type or color? Can they shingle over the existing
shingles?

The house is a cope type roof with one dormer. 36 X 28 house. Ideas on
pricing?
Any recommendations for good contractors in the north central Ma area?

Thanks
Steve L
Ashby Ma.

Joseph Meehan

SteveL wrote:
[...]

Well if those are original shingles they are due. You should consider
replacing them. To find out if they are currently a problem, you can hire
someone with a little experience to offer an opinion of how long they may
last. The amount of "gravel" still on the shingles, any splits, broken or
missing shingles and non-flat shingles are factors to consider. You also
should take a look at the roof from the attic and see how things look.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math