Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to do the last row of shingles?

I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way to do
it is...

I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I did the
roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?

I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail heads
with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the garage roof
overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method will be adequate,
but what is the right way?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Suanne Lippman" wrote in message
I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way to do
it is...

I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I did
the roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?

I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail
heads with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the garage
roof overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method will be
adequate, but what is the right way?
Thanks.

It's probably going to get wetter than you think -- consider rain blown
water
running down the wall of the garage, for example.

If I understand your situation correctly, the proper way would be to install
flashing over the top row of shingles and under what ever the garage wall
is sided with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 6:25 pm, "The Streets"
wrote:
[...]

yes the proper way is to tuck flashing under the siding. How far
under a overhang is it? I did the same thing on my shed and it hasn't
leaked yet, but then the lean to was close enough to the eave that I
could barely fit a roofing nailer under there. I'd recommend keeping
an eye on it. You could always caulk a piece of flashing to the
garage siding. Not ideal, but for a shed it's probably good enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Suanne Lippman" wrote in
:

I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way
to do it is...

I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I
did the roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?

I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail
heads with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the
garage roof overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method
will be adequate, but what is the right way?
Thanks.

tarry patching compound.

If it's roofing cement, that tends to dry out and fail when exposed to
the sun I've read in a few places. I've also seen a lot of roofing cement
that was exposed to sun/weather that was dried out. Have started using
polyurethane based flashing cements like Henry 900. Just a tidbit. You
didn't create any roofing crime.
Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:19:36 GMT, "Suanne Lippman"
wrote:

I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way to do
it is...

I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I did the
roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?

I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail heads
with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the garage roof
overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method will be adequate,
but what is the right way?
Thanks.

After the next blowing rain from that direction, check for leaks.
Only if you have leaks, then remove the last row and add flashing to
make it water proof. Then add the layer back, just like you did
before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 7:19 pm, "Suanne Lippman" wrote:
I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way to do
it is...

I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I did the
roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?

I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail heads
with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the garage roof
overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method will be adequate,
but what is the right way?
Thanks.

Look up "step flashing"

Posted to alt.home.repair

beecrofter wrote:

On May 23, 7:19 pm, "Suanne Lippman" wrote:

I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way to do
it is...

I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I did the
roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?

I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail heads
with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the garage roof
overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method will be adequate,
but what is the right way?
Thanks.

Look up "step flashing"

You can't use step flashing at that connection. You use wall
flashing. If the shingles were running into a wall at the end
of each run, you may use step flashing. His wall is along the
top row of shingles.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.