Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default how to do the last row of shingles?

"Suanne Lippman" wrote in
:

I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way
to do it is...

I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I
did the roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?

I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail
heads with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the
garage roof overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method
will be adequate, but what is the right way?
Thanks.

tarry patching compound.

If it's roofing cement, that tends to dry out and fail when exposed to
the sun I've read in a few places. I've also seen a lot of roofing cement
that was exposed to sun/weather that was dried out. Have started using
polyurethane based flashing cements like Henry 900. Just a tidbit. You
didn't create any roofing crime.