Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default how to do the last row of shingles?

beecrofter wrote:

On May 23, 7:19 pm, "Suanne Lippman" wrote:

I am already finished with this part, but I wonder what the right way to do
it is...

I am nearly done building a 4x8 shed that backs up to my garage. I did the
roof today. How was I supposed to do the last row?

I cut a half width shingle to fit, nailed it on, and covered the nail heads
with a tarry patching compound. Since it is shielded by the garage roof
overhang it will never get very wet, so I figure my method will be adequate,
but what is the right way?
Thanks.

Look up "step flashing"

You can't use step flashing at that connection. You use wall
flashing. If the shingles were running into a wall at the end
of each run, you may use step flashing. His wall is along the
top row of shingles.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.