Default Newbie tiler: planning the first row

I'm attempting my first ever tiling job -- a part-wall tiled splashback
behind the sink taps and around the kitchen window. I am using 15 cm
tiles.

The tiling area disappears behind the fridge. So I am attempting to put
full-size tiles around the window if possible and then hide any cut
pieces behind the fridge!

Here are some questions:

* I want to put a row of full size tiles under the window ledge. The
window ledge seems to slope. I fixed a plumb batten at 15 cm under the
ledge. I can fit full tiles at the LH side but as I move right the gap
is more like 16-17cm. Looks like I am going to have to move the batten
up slightly, trim 1 cm or so off the LH tiles and use full tiles on the
RH side. Or does the batten have to be exactly plumb? Can I just bang
full size tiles on and carry on regardless?

* I intend to use a plastic joining strip where the tile rows meet at
the edge of the window ledge. Should this strip be inserted under the
row on the window ledge or behind the row under the window?

* The window ledge is uneven. I now know why I found a layer of part
tiles beneath when I took off the old tiles -- it was to attempt to
build up a level layer. Any tips?

Thanks
Bruce

Fred

wrote in message
ups.com...

* I want to put a row of full size tiles under the window ledge. The
window ledge seems to slope. I fixed a plumb batten at 15 cm under the
ledge. I can fit full tiles at the LH side but as I move right the gap
is more like 16-17cm. Looks like I am going to have to move the batten
up slightly, trim 1 cm or so off the LH tiles and use full tiles on the
RH side. Or does the batten have to be exactly plumb? Can I just bang
full size tiles on and carry on regardless?

Can't you build the window ledge up to be flat?

* I want to put a row of full size tiles under the window ledge.

The
window ledge seems to slope. I fixed a plumb batten at 15 cm under

the
ledge. I can fit full tiles at the LH side but as I move right the

gap
is more like 16-17cm. Looks like I am going to have to move the

batten
up slightly, trim 1 cm or so off the LH tiles and use full tiles on

the
RH side. Or does the batten have to be exactly plumb? Can I just

bang
full size tiles on and carry on regardless?

Can't you build the window ledge up to be flat?

Doh!
Its obvious now! I just have to put a few patches of polyfilla and
scrap tiles on the LH side of the window ledge. Should even it all up a
bit.

Thanks.
Bruce

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
Planning application process - and complaint? mich UK diy 14 July 17th 04 09:46 PM
Attached Garage and Planning Permission for Change of Use Jizzy_Lizzy UK diy 13 July 3rd 04 03:09 PM
default planning permission? Brian S Gray UK diy 11 August 30th 03 06:42 PM