Posted to alt.home.repair

Default T-stat for heater

It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to those for whom
these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a heater for an
enclosure my sister has for her outside cats.

I have a small electric heater (ceramic, fan) and I'd like to get a t-stat
setup that would allow the heater to come on when the enclosure gets cold,
then shut off if it gets too warm. At the same time I'd like to have this
setup on a timer that would keep it off during the day, say from 10am to 6
pm)

Any suggestions??

Charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to those for whom
these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a heater for an
enclosure my sister has for her outside cats.

I have a small electric heater (ceramic, fan) and I'd like to get a t-stat
setup that would allow the heater to come on when the enclosure gets cold,
then shut off if it gets too warm. At the same time I'd like to have this
setup on a timer that would keep it off during the day, say from 10am to 6
pm)

Any suggestions??

Charles

Check out by googling beer brewing supplies. They have temperature controls
that might work for that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 12:46 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to those for whom
these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a heater for an
enclosure my sister has for her outside cats.

I have a small electric heater (ceramic, fan) and I'd like to get a t-stat
setup that would allow the heater to come on when the enclosure gets cold,
then shut off if it gets too warm. At the same time I'd like to have this
setup on a timer that would keep it off during the day, say from 10am to 6
pm)

Any suggestions??

Charles

A line voltage thermostat in series with a time switch. Timer first.
Here are links to some that do both jobs:

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/...hermostat.html

http://tinyurl.com/g2taf

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1273065

http://tinyurl.com/34b7kg2

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 12:46*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to those for whom
these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a heater for an
enclosure my sister has for her outside cats.

I have a small electric heater (ceramic, fan) and I'd like to get a t-stat
setup that would allow the heater to come on when the enclosure gets cold,
then shut off if it gets too warm. At the same time I'd like to have this
setup on a timer that would keep it off during the day, say from 10am to 6
pm)

Any suggestions??

Charles

Electric heaters usualy have settings that consume 6-900 and 1500
watts, 1500 watts might cost me near $100 to run a month. Consider a
small heating pad a pharmacy has, they might take 30-60 watts. The
cats can sleep on it and stay plenty warm since the heat will rise
around them. Put a piece of foam rubber under the pad so you dont
loose the heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

Hi,
What? 100.00 a month? Our power costs 7 cents/KWh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 4:15*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:46*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:

It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to those for whom
these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a heater for an
enclosure my sister has for her outside cats.

I have a small electric heater (ceramic, fan) and I'd like to get a t-stat
setup that would allow the heater to come on when the enclosure gets cold,
then shut off if it gets too warm. At the same time I'd like to have this
setup on a timer that would keep it off during the day, say from 10am to 6
pm)

Any suggestions??

Charles

Electric heaters usualy have settings that consume 6-900 and 1500
watts, 1500 watts might cost me near $100 to run a month.

That assumes it runs and is actually heating 24/7. He's only going to
run it

A - at night

B - only enough to warm up an enclosure for the cats. If that's a
washing machine
size enclosure, the heater won't be running most of the time even if
it's uninsulated.

I've done similar and used just one of the small 1200 watt heaters
that comes with a
thermostat and a safety switch in the bottom to cut it off if it tip
over. The only problem
is that the thermostat is typically not calibrated and could be moved
by a cat.

The line voltage thermostat is the next solution I was looking at
using. I only need the settup
when I'm away for a few days and I leave the cat in the garage with a
box settup. You can get
the thermostat at HD, online, Ebay, etc.

Location is unknown, but if 30-50 is close to the worst range, just
providing an enclosure
of reasonable size to accomodate the cats, small opening, insulation
underneath and around,
bedding inside, out of the wind, etc, might be all that's needed.
Several cats will keep each
other warm to some extent. If it can get to 15, then it's another
story.

Consider a
small heating pad a pharmacy has, they might take 30-60 watts. The
cats can sleep on it and stay plenty warm since the heat will rise
around them. Put a piece of foam rubber under the pad so you dont
loose the heat.

That might be a better solution too, especially if it's not the 15F
environment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:15:39 -0800, ransley wrote:
Electric heaters usualy have settings that consume 6-900 and 1500 watts,
1500 watts might cost me near $100 to run a month. Consider a small
heating pad a pharmacy has, they might take 30-60 watts. The cats can
sleep on it and stay plenty warm since the heat will rise around them.
Put a piece of foam rubber under the pad so you dont loose the heat.

I don't like the idea of pets on top of electricity... particularly not
pets with sharp claws :-)

We run a 250W heat lamp in the back porch for the dogs and cats at night
- it stays quite toasty under it / nearby, even though the rest of the
room that they're in will cool down to about 40F (and it's got down to
-26F outside some nights recently). Cost is somewhere between $5 and $10
per month to just leave it running each night.

I'm not sure if there's a good way of running two though, such that one's
normally running, but if it fails the other will kick in - that would be
handy to avoid frozen critters :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

What comes to mind, to me. Contact a refrigeration company,
and see about getting a thermostat that does the 50 degree
range. Wire that in series with the power cord on the
heater. Plug the heater into a lamp timer. Use the existing
ceramic heater.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to
those for whom
these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a
heater for an
enclosure my sister has for her outside cats.

I have a small electric heater (ceramic, fan) and I'd like
to get a t-stat
setup that would allow the heater to come on when the
enclosure gets cold,
then shut off if it gets too warm. At the same time I'd like
to have this
setup on a timer that would keep it off during the day, say
from 10am to 6
pm)

Any suggestions??

Charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Tony Hwang" wrote
Electric heaters usualy have settings that consume 6-900 and 1500
watts, 1500 watts might cost me near $100 to run a month. Consider a
small heating pad a pharmacy has, they might take 30-60 watts. The
cats can sleep on it and stay plenty warm since the heat will rise
around them. Put a piece of foam rubber under the pad so you dont
loose the heat.

Hi,
What? 100.00 a month? Our power costs 7 cents/KWh.

Possible.
The rate here is 18¢. At 1500 watts, that is 27¢ an hour. If you ran the
heater on high for 12 hours a day, the cost would be about $100 a month.

My guess, though, is that the enclosure can be heated with far less wattage
and less hours per day. In any case, the heating pad idea is probably a
better one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 1:46*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to those for whom
these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a heater for an
enclosure my sister has for her outside cats.

I have a small electric heater (ceramic, fan) and I'd like to get a t-stat
setup that would allow the heater to come on when the enclosure gets cold,
then shut off if it gets too warm. At the same time I'd like to have this
setup on a timer that would keep it off during the day, say from 10am to 6
pm)

Any suggestions??

Charles

A couple of cats in a small enclosure shouldnt need any heat at those
temps. Ours snuggle up in their cat condo down to the teens. The
secret is to not ave a lot of airspace they have to warm up.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

Not a direct answer to your thermostat concerns, but heating
requirements will depend on how large the enclosure is, and how well
insulated. A plywood box big enough for a few cats can be heated very
well with a 40-60 watt incandescent light bulb, so your ceramic heater
might be massive overkill.

On further thought, a plywood box big enough for a few cats can be
heated with a few cats. No t-stat needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 10:10 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
Smitty wrote:

Not a direct answer to your thermostat concerns, but heating
requirements will depend on how large the enclosure is, and how well
insulated. A plywood box big enough for a few cats can be heated very
well with a 40-60 watt incandescent light bulb, so your ceramic heater
might be massive overkill.

On further thought, a plywood box big enough for a few cats can be
heated with a few cats. No t-stat needed.

Oh, hot pus......, never mind. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Insulated is good. Also some kind of blanket or such over
the access hole. I had an outdoor cat that lived in a
Priority Mail cardboard box, wrapped in packing clear tape.
I cut a cat size hole in the one side of the box, using a
razor knife.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
Not a direct answer to your thermostat concerns, but
heating
requirements will depend on how large the enclosure is,
and how well
insulated. A plywood box big enough for a few cats can be
heated very
well with a 40-60 watt incandescent light bulb, so your
ceramic heater
might be massive overkill.

On further thought, a plywood box big enough for a few cats
can be
heated with a few cats. No t-stat needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 1/4/2011 12:46 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
It's getting cold here at night (30-50F-and my apologies to those for whom
these temps are a mild spring day) and I'd like to rig up a heater for an
enclosure my sister has for her outside cats.

I have a small electric heater (ceramic, fan) and I'd like to get a t-stat
setup that would allow the heater to come on when the enclosure gets cold,
then shut off if it gets too warm. At the same time I'd like to have this
setup on a timer that would keep it off during the day, say from 10am to 6
pm)

Any suggestions??

Charles

I've had a feral cat living around my place for years. Temps here will
get down below -35 deg. That's minus 35 deg. The cat not only survives
it thrives. Plus 30 deg to an outside cat is tropical. If it will make
you feel better build an insulated enclosure with a entrance
protecting the interior from the wind. The cats will be happy and you
can find something of worth to be concerned about.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 4:28*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

What? 100.00 a month? Our power costs 7 cents/KWh.- Hide quoted text -

Yea sure I bet, with Tax, the FULL BILL , you dont know how to read
your bill or what you pay. What do you pay and what KWH do you use.
0.07 total cost is non existant in the US, some inland areas are near .
25kwh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 9:59*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Thats the best answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

* Smitty *wrote:

Not a direct answer to your thermostat concerns, but heating
requirements will depend on how large the enclosure is, and how well
insulated. A plywood box big enough for a few cats can be heated very
well with a 40-60 watt incandescent light bulb, so your ceramic heater
might be massive overkill.

On further thought, a plywood box big enough for a few cats can be
heated with a few cats. No t-stat needed.

Oh, hot pus......, never mind. :-)

TDD

The Pussy, makes heat that keeps you warm all winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 11:00*am, LdB wrote:
[...]

I found a cat near dead on log, took him home and he went in the
basement. After over a week of feeding him like a king, getting him
fat, I got him out and I built him a house, but he would not use it
even in a winter of -20f and 25 -35 mph winds on a lake, even with it
full of food. The next summers he was always around to say Hi but
never came within 50ft
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 9:46*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?
"Tony Hwang" wrote

Electric heaters usualy have settings that consume 6-900 and 1500
watts, 1500 watts might cost me near $100 to run a month. Consider a
small heating pad a pharmacy has, they might take 30-60 watts. The
cats can sleep on it and stay plenty warm since the heat will rise
around them. Put a piece of foam rubber under the pad so you dont
loose the heat.

Hi,
What? 100.00 a month? Our power costs 7 cents/KWh.

Possible.
The rate here is 18 . *At 1500 watts, that is 27 an hour. *If you ran the
heater on high for 12 hours a day, the cost would be about $100 a month.

My guess, though, is that the enclosure can be heated with far less wattage
and less hours per day. *In any case, the heating pad idea is probably a
better one.

But WHO is at .07 a KWH, answer, nobody in the USA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:41:51 -0800, ransley wrote:

On Jan 4, 9:46Â*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?
"Tony Hwang" wrote

Electric heaters usualy have settings that consume 6-900 and 1500
watts, 1500 watts might cost me near $100 to run a month. Consider a
small heating pad a pharmacy has, they might take 30-60 watts. The
cats can sleep on it and stay plenty warm since the heat will rise
around them. Put a piece of foam rubber under the pad so you dont
loose the heat.
Hi,
What? 100.00 a month? Our power costs 7 cents/KWh.

Possible.
The rate here is 18 . Â*At 1500 watts, that is 27 an hour. Â*If you ran
the heater on high for 12 hours a day, the cost would be about $100 a
month.

My guess, though, is that the enclosure can be heated with far less
wattage and less hours per day. Â*In any case, the heating pad idea is
probably a better one.

But WHO is at .07 a KWH, answer, nobody in the USA.

Ours here in northern MN is about 8.5c/kWH for regular supply and 4.5c/
kWH for the load-controlled devices (which our 14kW of electric baseboard
heat is hooked up to)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:41:51 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

Rats, hit enter before adding this:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 01:20:18 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

[...]

Plus "transportation" or delivery cost plus connection fee - which if
you only use a little makes the price per kwh significantly higher -
and if you use a lot, the rate goes up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 22:55:42 -0500, clare wrote:
But WHO is at .07 a KWH, answer, nobody in the USA.

Ours here in northern MN is about 8.5c/kWH for regular supply and 4.5c/
kWH for the load-controlled devices (which our 14kW of electric
baseboard heat is hooked up to)

Plus "transportation" or delivery cost plus connection fee - which if
you only use a little makes the price per kwh significantly higher - and
if you use a lot, the rate goes up.

I just checked: for our "non-load-controlled" service we get the first
500kWH per month at 8.8c/kWH and anything over that at 7.8c/kWH. The load-
controlled service (i.e. all the baseboards, dryer and water heater) are
at 4.7c/kWH regardless of how much (or little) we use.

The service fee seems to be a flat $25 per month, then state taxes of $6
and some 'renewable energy' fee that's linked to how much we use (about
$15 for November)

"non-load-controlled" service worked out as 691kWH for November, and the
load-controlled service at 2025kWH.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Idaho is $.08/kWh.- Hide quoted text -

08, im sure thats before all the taxes and surcharges. divide kwh used
by the total cost
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 12:50:02 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

[...]

It's also a state average; some areas will likely be higher, some lower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

[snip]

But WHO is at .07 a KWH, answer, nobody in the USA.

I checked my last bill and found .073 here. That's the actual amount (total
charge / usage) no "plus tax and fees" nonsense.

BTW, that's in one of the few Texas cities where you're NOT allowed to
choose your electric company.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Intelligence is the only moral guide." -- Robert G. Ingersoll
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

ransley wrote:

[snip]

But WHO is at .07 a KWH, answer, nobody in the USA.

I checked my last bill and found .073 here. That's the actual amount (total
charge / usage) no "plus tax and fees" nonsense.

BTW, that's in one of the few Texas cities where you're NOT allowed to
choose your electric company.

Just wait til the Chinese figure out how to make electricity, and start
shipping it over here. Then it'll be 7 cents for a kilowatt-month.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

I'll bet no one sells *discount* electricity to keep cats warm
*outdoors*.

I think the whole thing is a waste of money and natural resources, but
I'm posting just to say that humans should not sleep on a heating pad.
My mother's came with a warning not to do that, and indeed once she
rolled over in her sleep, ended up on top of it, and got burned. It
took quite a while to heal and I guess could have been much worse if
she had slept that way longer.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2011 12:20 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In .com,
Mark wrote:

ransley wrote:

[snip]

But WHO is at .07 a KWH, answer, nobody in the USA.

I checked my last bill and found .073 here. That's the actual amount (total
charge / usage) no "plus tax and fees" nonsense.

BTW, that's in one of the few Texas cities where you're NOT allowed to
choose your electric company.

Just wait til the Chinese figure out how to make electricity, and start
shipping it over here. Then it'll be 7 cents for a kilowatt-month.

Aren't there a lot of batteries and generators coming out of China? :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 3:11*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/7/2011 12:20 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

In .com,
* Mark *wrote:

ransley wrote:

[snip]

But WHO is at .07 a KWH, answer, nobody in the USA.

I checked my last bill and found .073 here. That's the actual amount (total
charge / usage) no "plus tax and fees" nonsense.

BTW, that's in one of the few Texas cities where you're NOT allowed to
choose your electric company.

Just wait til the Chinese figure out how to make electricity, and start
shipping it over here. Then it'll be 7 cents for a kilowatt-month.

I always wondered why some companies didn't build nuclear power plants
right
over the boarder in Mexico. Seems like there would be a lot less
regulatory
roadblocks and it could be done cheaply. Then, they could sell the
electricity
to the USA. That way, they'd get the profit, jobs, etc. and we'd get
a higher risk of an accident
from a plant just across the boarder.

Aren't there a lot of batteries and generators coming out of China? :-)

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Jumping on here, no longer have previous posts. I saw this item and
thought of this thread.

It's a thermostatically controlled "outlet". Might work, might not?

The Thermo Cube is a unique, patented electrical device that plugs
into a standard 15 amp electrical outlet and turns power on
automatically according to outside air temperature, saving money by
using power only when... Read more
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2em7nfc

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think the OP wanted to put a timer on it too.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/7/2011 12:20 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

In .com,
* Mark *wrote:

ransley wrote:

[snip]

[...]

A good question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 08:55:38 -0600, leonard hofstadter wrote:
The Thermo Cube is a unique, patented electrical device that plugs into
a standard 15 amp electrical outlet and turns power on automatically
according to outside air temperature, saving money by using power only
when...

Strange. I don't see any mention of an included temperature probe - if
it's used indoors, how does it know what the outside air temperature
is? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

[snip]

Sorry you said 0.073, or seven point 3 cents per KWH, and I still pay
near twenty cents per KWH in Chicago and my tennants get screwed to
the tune of near twenty six cents per KWH. Remember electricity is
traded every second for watts, So I dont believe you pay anywhere
near seven cents a KWH when I pay near Twenty, and Transmission lines
are all that make trade easy.

I checked that bill again.
Total amount: $92.57
Usage: 1266 KWH
Dividing that gives 0.073120063 (rounds to .073)

Electricity here is made with natural gas. There is a lot of that here.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"A humanist is an atheist who cares." -- Dr. Wendell Watters
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 7, 7:19*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
ransley wrote:

[snip]

Sorry you said 0.073, or seven point 3 cents per KWH, and I still pay
near twenty cents per KWH in Chicago and my tennants get screwed to
the tune of near twenty six cents per KWH. Remember electricity is
traded every second for watts, *So I dont believe you pay anywhere
near seven cents a KWH when I pay near Twenty, and Transmission lines
are all that make trade easy.

I checked that bill again.
Total amount: $92.57
Usage: 1266 KWH
Dividing that gives 0.073120063 (rounds to .073)

Electricity here is made with natural gas. There is a lot of that here.

--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"A humanist is an atheist who cares." -- Dr. Wendell Watters

I am amazed, I see Illinois with Com Edm is being ripped off since we
are maybe 65% Neuclear.