Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can caulk be microwaved?

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put
it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was
wondering in the future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

You have a wood-burning stove AND a microwave?

Isn't that like ...

Never mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

40degree garage! Lucky *******.g

I'd worry that the microwave would cook parts of it.

My choice would be to plunge it into a bucket of hot water. Water
conducts heat better than air.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2011 2:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Probably not. Microwave works best on vibration of bonds in water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 3, 1:11*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. *It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. *I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. *I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Squeeze out a little bit on a paper towel, put in the MW and try it. I
don't think much will happen. But then, I could be wrong. So i think
I'll try it myself. If I can find the sealant in the mess somewhere.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2011 3:17 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 3, 1:11 pm, "Steve wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Squeeze out a little bit on a paper towel, put in the MW and try it. I
don't think much will happen. But then, I could be wrong. So i think
I'll try it myself. If I can find the sealant in the mess somewhere.

Joe

A little is never good to microwave. That energy has to somewhere and
this *may* contribute to shortening the MW's life.

I didn't see any reason not to MW it, but Googled this:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6331407_kit...king-tips.html

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 7:25*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. *It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. *I put
it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. *I was
wondering in the future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

You have a wood-burning stove AND a microwave?

Isn't that like ...

Never mind.

I have a woodburning stove, a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 1/3/2011 3:17 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 3, 1:11 pm, "Steve wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in
the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Squeeze out a little bit on a paper towel, put in the MW and try it. I
don't think much will happen. But then, I could be wrong. So i think
I'll try it myself. If I can find the sealant in the mess somewhere.

Joe

A little is never good to microwave. That energy has to somewhere and
this *may* contribute to shortening the MW's life.

I didn't see any reason not to MW it, but Googled this:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6331407_kit...king-tips.html

Jeff

Thank you, Jeff. That cinches it. But I would have done it for too long,
and on my 1300 watt mw, may have had a mess on my hands.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

No, same as an egg, it would expand too fast and either explode or
squirt out everywhere.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:51:58 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Jan 3, 7:25*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. *It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. *I put
it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. *I was
wondering in the future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

You have a wood-burning stove AND a microwave?

Isn't that like ...

Never mind.

I have a woodburning stove, a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

I have millions of microwaves. At least I did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in
the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

No, same as an egg, it would expand too fast and either explode or squirt
out everywhere.

--
LSMFT

Guess you missed the memo:

I didn't see any reason not to MW it, but Googled this:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6331407_kit...king-tips.html

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-01-03, mm wrote:

I have millions of microwaves. At least I did.

Howzabout living offspring?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jan 3, 12:11*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. *It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. *I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. *I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

==
No, don't be so dumb. MW is for cooking NOT warming caulk. Put the
caulk over a heat register or use a heat gun and don't get it too hot.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2011 12:51 PM harry spake thus:

On Jan 3, 7:25 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone.
It was fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40
degrees. I put it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to
warm up. I was wondering in the future ........ could I heat it
up in the microwave?

You have a wood-burning stove AND a microwave?

Isn't that like ...

Never mind.

I have a woodburning stove, a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

What the hell is a "hob"? Speak English, man!

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roy" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 12:11 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in
the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

==
No, don't be so dumb. MW is for cooking NOT warming caulk. Put the
caulk over a heat register or use a heat gun and don't get it too hot.
==

Damn, another that did not get the memo .............................
c'mon, I'm getting tired of posting this ........................

I didn't see any reason not to MW it, but Googled this:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6331407_kit...king-tips.html

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in
the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

No, same as an egg, it would expand too fast and either explode or squirt
out everywhere.

Had that many years ago with baby food in a jar. Thought I could speed
things up, I stuck an opened jar of baby food in the micro and turned it on
for a few seconds. I heard a whoosh, and looked in. The entire jar's
contents had evacuated and was lining the inside of the microwave oven
including up into the fan. Cleaning up was a pain and seemed to take
forever. I would really hate to clean up caulk that had burst out the tube
and spread all over the insides of the oven. It may never come clean nor be
suitable for food again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Jan 3, 7:25 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It
was fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I
put it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was
wondering in the future ........ could I heat it up in the
microwave?

You have a wood-burning stove AND a microwave?

Isn't that like ...

Never mind.

I have a woodburning stove, a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

Yeah, but we know you're warped.

I was thinking about normal folk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2011 2:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Might turn into an IED....interesting explosive device ) I started a
bread wrapper on fire once because I forgot to take off the metal
twist-tie. Let us know )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 7:38*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
Innews:AeqdnWfd8ele6L_QnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@earthlink. com,
typed:

On 1/3/2011 2:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of
silicone. *It was fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk
is about 40 degrees. *I put it a safe distance from the
woodburning stove to warm up. *I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave? Steve

Try it & let us know how it goes. If it's got any metal parts, forget it
though. All the heat will go to the metal and ruin it or distort it and
nothing else will warm up. It's neat having a spare uWave around; I haven't
ruined it yet and it still works fine. Want a pretty show? Put a CD in it,
data side up, darken the room & put the uwave on hi.

HTH,

Twayne`

Might turn into an IED....interesting explosive device ) I started a
bread wrapper on fire once because I forgot to
take off the metal twist-tie. *Let us know )- Hide quoted text -

Fluorescent lights in a uwave put on a good light show!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
On 1/3/2011 2:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in
the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Might turn into an IED....interesting explosive device ) I started a
bread wrapper on fire once because I forgot to take off the metal
twist-tie. Let us know )

Heck, I set a bag of microwave popcorn on fire once. Man that oil can flame
........... and SMOKE ......... it was smoke from chest level to the ceiling
in my whole condo. Smoke alarms going off, dog raising hell barking.

You can have a lot of fun with a microwave. And your living quarters smells
like popcorn for a very long time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2011 4:23 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Jeff wrote in message
On 1/3/2011 3:17 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 3, 1:11 pm, "Steve wrote:
[...]

You are more than welcome!

Jeff
(who also has a wood burning stove)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I have a woodburning stove, a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

What the hell is a "hob"? Speak English, man!

Calvin's cook?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I have a woodburning stove, a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

What the hell is a "hob"? Speak English, man!

Calvin's cook?

English for cooking burner. Like a hotplate.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 7:25 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone.
It was fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40
degrees. *I put it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to
warm up. *I was wondering in the future ........ could I heat it
up in the microwave?

You have a wood-burning stove AND a microwave?

Isn't that like ...

Never mind.

I have a woodburning stove, *a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

What the hell is a "hob"? Speak English, man!

* *To me, the *plonk...* reminds me of the old man at the public hearing
* *who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
* *that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.- Hide quoted text -

Possibly unknown technology in the US? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 3:24*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I have a woodburning stove, *a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

What the hell is a "hob"? Speak English, man!

Calvin's cook?

I am English. Anything I might say is therefore English regardless.
Sorry you are deficient in vocabulary. Try to keep up.
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ssc-146001-halogen-hobs.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 1:05 AM harry spake thus:

On Jan 3, 7:25 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of
silicone. It was fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is
about 40 degrees. I put it a safe distance from the
woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the future
........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

You have a wood-burning stove AND a microwave?

Isn't that like ...

Never mind.

I have a woodburning stove, a halogen hob, double multi-oven and
TWO microwaves. So.........????

What the hell is a "hob"? Speak English, man!

Possibly unknown technology in the US? :-)

Not at all; we call them hotplates, or cookers, but not "hobs". That's
one of your quaint UK-isms.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 4, 3:24 am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I have a woodburning stove, a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

What the hell is a "hob"? Speak English, man!

Calvin's cook?

I am English. Anything I might say is therefore English regardless.
Sorry you are deficient in vocabulary. Try to keep up.
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ssc-146001-halogen-hobs.html

I guess no one remembers Calvin & Hobbes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 7:25 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

We use the term hob for a split cooker, ie hob and oven separate, as
distinct from the older sort (cooker) where they are in one unit.
Hotplate is the term we would use for the sort of thing you see in
McNasty. ie, big.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 11:00*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?"harry" wrote in message

On Jan 4, 3:24 am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I have a woodburning stove, *a halogen hob, double multi-oven and TWO
microwaves. So.........????

What the hell is a "hob"? Speak English, man!

Calvin's cook?

I am English. * Anything I might say is therefore English regardless.
Sorry you are deficient in vocabulary. Try to keep up.
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ssc-146001-halogen-hobs.html

I guess no one remembers Calvin & Hobbes.- Hide quoted text -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_%26_Hobbes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2011 8:43 AM harry spake thus:

On Jan 4, 9:18 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Not at all; we call them hotplates, or cookers, but not "hobs".
That's one of your quaint UK-isms.

We use the term hob for a split cooker, ie hob and oven separate, as
distinct from the older sort (cooker) where they are in one unit.
Hotplate is the term we would use for the sort of thing you see in
McNasty. ie, big.

Those big nasty things are what we call "grills"*. (Not "grilles", as
you how like to add those spurious "e"s would spell it.)

* Even though technically the thing ain't a grill, because it's just one
big hot surface, not an actually grill.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure it can!

However, the RF is resonant to water mollecules, so it
probably won't do any good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of
silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40
degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was
wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boss cooked some polly urethane rubber in micro wave. Damn near killed
every one in the shop!! VERY TOXIC. Wouldn't silicon be the same ??
Ruined the micro wave and lost his job !!

Jr

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 1:20*am, "
wrote:
On 1/3/2011 2:11 PM, Steve B wrote:

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. *It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. *I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. *I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Might turn into an IED....interesting explosive device ) *I started a
bread wrapper on fire once because I forgot to take off the metal
twist-tie. *Let us know )

You should try an egg!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Yes, but not at the same time with a cat.