Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can caulk be microwaved?

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 01/03/2011 11:11 AM, Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in
the
future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

I think it'd either get too hot or not hot at all -- or something in the
packaging would fry, and damage the caulk.

Chuck it in a tub of hot water.

--

Tim Wescott

Didn't EVEN think of that. Sat it on the stove for a couple of minutes, and
pulled and rotated it. Got it to where it would flow. Need me one of them
there fancy electricital caulking guns. Someone once asked what they were
good for over standard guns. I have a new answer. To run cold caulk. Hard
on the wrists otherwise.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:39:29 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in
the future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

I'd STRONGLY recommend AGAINST doing such a thing - think of what would
happen if it blew up. Have you ever microwaved a raw egg?

Please, don't do it. Let the goo sit until it reaches room temperature
before you use it.

Or, if you can afford a new microwave oven, go ahead and do the experiment
(this is called "science") and report back here with your results. It's
unlikely to burn the house down, but the oven would probably be unsuitable
for cooking food.

Good Luck!
Rich

Another thing..is the heat may cause the stuff to cure in the tube.

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:54:26 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

If that caulk froze, there's a good chance it won't do the job you
want it to. Then you can remove it and do it right the second time.
Read the label on acceptable storage temps.

Newb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Most tubes have a metallic seal too no?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

Most tubes have a metallic seal too no?- Hide quoted text -

The nozzle end is, at least. Most of the ones I've gotten lately have
a plastic cup as the pusher. A lot of them have metal foil as part of
the casing layers, too. In any case, heating the innards is going to
cause a pressure increase from the volatiles, how fast that happens
will determine whether it just spits the cup out with the goo or
splits the casing. The metal involved may cause arcing, too. Somebody
do this and take video, could have a nice KB! Mythbuster time? Could
be more fun than the gal that tried to dry her undies here at work in
the microwave. Had the fire dept. out and everything.

I store my caulk inside anyway. Most of it says on the label not to
freeze it.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

No, I haven't seen any metallic components in caulk cartridges in quite
some time (construction adhesive, yes). I'm not sure about the acrylic
caulks, but the silicones are "condensation cure" and require moisture
to cure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tnik wrote:
On 1/3/2011 4:42 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:39:29 -0800, Rich Grise

Or, if you can afford a new microwave oven, go ahead and do the
experiment (this is called "science") and report back here with your
results. It's unlikely to burn the house down, but the oven would
probably be unsuitable for cooking food.

Another thing..is the heat may cause the stuff to cure in the tube.

Most tubes have a metallic seal too no?

Uh-oh - thread drift! I've seen tubes of goo where the whole tube was
plastic, and possibly surprisingly, metal in the microwave won't kill
anybody, as long as there's something in there to absorb the radiation.

Back when microwave ovens first came out, they also published a uwave
cookbook, and in the first few pages, there was a description of why
you shouldn't use metal - they took an ice cube and wrapped it in Al
foil, and put it in the oven next to a glass of water; the water boiled
while the ice stayed ice.

They also _recommend_ using foil if you're defrosting one of those
rectangular pounds of burger - cover up the corners so that they don't
cook before the middle of the brick defrosts.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, caulk can be microwaved.

Should caulk be microwaved? I don't think so, myself.

It might cure in the tube, it might burst inside the microwave. It
could catch fire, too, which could be interesting - as in "may you
live in interesting times". Or it could just emit all manner of
toxic fumes and compounds - that might not be a good thing if you want
to use the microwave, or the kitchen, or the house, again.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 3, 2:39*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. *It was
fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. *I put it a
safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. *I was wondering in
the future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

I'd STRONGLY recommend AGAINST doing such a thing - think of what would
happen if it blew up. Have you ever microwaved a raw egg?

Please, don't do it. Let the goo sit until it reaches room temperature
before you use it.

Or, if you can afford a new microwave oven, go ahead and do the experiment
(this is called "science") and report back here with your results. It's
unlikely to burn the house down, but the oven would probably be unsuitable
for cooking food.

Good Luck!
Rich

Video. We must have video.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but ..............

I didn't see any reason not to MW it, but Googled this:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6331407_kit...king-tips.html

Jeff

They suggest 20 seconds.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*wrote:

Steve B wrote:

[...]

No, not any more. All the solid plastic tubes have no extra seal, only
the few cardboard tubes that are now left on the market have them.

The nozzle end is, at least. Most of the ones I've gotten lately have
a plastic cup as the pusher. A lot of them have metal foil as part of
the casing layers, too. In any case, heating the innards is going to
cause a pressure increase from the volatiles, how fast that happens
will determine whether it just spits the cup out with the goo or
splits the casing. The metal involved may cause arcing, too. Somebody
do this and take video, could have a nice KB! Mythbuster time? Could
be more fun than the gal that tried to dry her undies here at work in
the microwave. Had the fire dept. out and everything.

I store my caulk inside anyway. Most of it says on the label not to
freeze it.

I left some caulk in the truck during a cold spell (as low as 17F for
4 days) and it wouldn't cure after that. It stayed a loose white goo
for a week before I replaced it. I now keep caulk in the house and
take it to the site the day I use it.

--
You do not need a parachute to skydive.
You only need a parachute to skydive twice.