Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT- cheap entry-level 32" LCD with more than 2 sets of input jacks?

Subject says it all, almost. My 85YO half-blind father wants to
upgrade his bedroom TV, which he uses several hours per day. But it
need to have inputs for his old composite-feed VCR, DVD, and Dish
box. DTV from antenna won't play nice being fed through old SD dish
box, so I want the reserve the F connector for the roof antenna. (no
dish locals around here). I'd strongly prefer for him to not have to
do any voodoo of switching stuff on and off in a certain order, so
I'd rather not use the dish RF output anyway- just hit the source
button to switch back and forth. I'd rather not use a mechanical
switch box, but that is the fallback, since he has to stand in front
of the stack to put in a tape or DVD anyway. He won't let me just
replace it all with modern stuff that uses HDMI cables- the old stuff
still works.

--
aem sends, trying to finish all the list before I go home and can have
a real Usenet connection again, in 4 days....
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Subject says it all, almost. My 85YO half-blind father wants to
[...]

Hi,
Looked at Vizio LED LCD 32" panel?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 7:48*am, "A. Baum" wrote:
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 17:54:48 -0800, aemeijers wrote:
Subject says it all, almost. My 85YO half-blind father wants to upgrade
his bedroom TV, which he uses several hours per day. But it need to have
inputs for his old composite-feed VCR, DVD, and Dish box. *DTV from
antenna won't play nice being fed through old SD dish box, so I want the
reserve the F connector for the roof antenna. (no dish locals around
here). I'd strongly prefer for him to not have to do any voodoo of
switching *stuff on and off in a certain order, so I'd rather not use
the dish RF output anyway- just hit the source button to switch back and
forth. I'd rather not use a mechanical switch box, but that is the
fallback, since he has to stand in front of the stack to put in a tape
or DVD anyway. He won't let me just replace it all with modern stuff
that uses HDMI cables- the old stuff still works.

Go out and look. Most have several inputs.

No, actually they don't, especially at entry-level price points.
Several HDMI, but usually only a single old-style composite video. He
had the urge to buy this morning bright and early, and after the
clueless blue-crew droid at Sears ****ed him off, we went across the
street to Best Buy. He was about to pull the trigger on a Samsung 32",
when the Samsung 40" piled up in the aisle caught his eye. Only one
composite input, so we had to go with a switch box. BestBuy being
BestBuy, their cable prices were of course outrageus, so I went
elsewhere for those. Composite cables are getting hard to find, and
impossible in the 18" jumper cable size you need for a stack of
equipment. Ended up with 6-footers from Home Depot. Radio Shack was
useless- 'you've got questions- we've got blank stares'- they only had
long cables, more expensive than BestBuy.

But even with old SD feeds, it looks sweet. Should be much easier on
what little is left of his eyes. So he now not only has a nicer
computer/internet connection than me, he has a nicer TV. Too bad I'm
too cheap to go out and buy one for me....

--
aem sends, stuck on Google till Weds morning when I get on the plane
and return to the frozen north....
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 17:54:48 -0800 (PST), aemeijers
wrote:

Subject says it all, almost. My 85YO half-blind father wants to
upgrade his bedroom TV, which he uses several hours per day. But it
need to have inputs for his old composite-feed VCR, DVD, and Dish
box.

I still get component and composite mixed up, even though I have one
and not the other. The mnemomic I made up and was using turned out to
be wrong.

DTV from antenna won't play nice being fed through old SD dish
box, so I want the reserve the F connector for the roof antenna. (no
dish locals around here). I'd strongly prefer for him to not have to
do any voodoo of switching stuff on and off in a certain order, so

That's enough to drive anyone crazy. Although they do have remote
controls that can learn macros, and do several things in a row iiuc
from one button.

I'd rather not use the dish RF output anyway- just hit the source
button to switch back and forth. I'd rather not use a mechanical
switch box, but that is the fallback, since he has to stand in front
of the stack to put in a tape or DVD anyway.

There are two but only two remote controlled A-B switches that I could
find. One is at Radio Shack and has a remote and also an A-B button on
top. The other was on the net, had no button on top, but they sold an
additional remote for it separately.

He won't let me just
replace it all with modern stuff that uses HDMI cables- the old stuff
still works.

Absolutely. The old stuff still works. You're lucky he's willing to
get a bigger tv!

You can also try sci.electronics.repair. Many of the technical
electronics answers are way above my head, and a couple don't like
non-repair questions or simple questions, but others are quite
helpful. For one thing I'm thinking there might be a box which would
take some of your inputs and do the switching necessary, like an A-B
switch but more powerful. I don't know how the prices of these boxes
compare with the price of a fancier tv.

When I was in my 20's I had (sound only) a reel-to-reel, a cassette,
and something else all going into one set of RCA inputs of a simple
but nice AM-FM stereo radio, via 3-input selection switches, one for
the left channel and one for the right. I didn't know there were
such switches until I saw them at a surplus store, and they were
cheap, but later I realized they were soldered/assembled wrong and the
switches didn't point to the device selected, which is why they were
surplus and why they were cheap. I still have them.

This was in the living room of the fifth-floor apartment, and I ran
wires out the window to speakers in the kitchen, and also my bedroom,
where I had an outboard amplifier, assembled on a scrap piece of metal
2x4 from an old kit someone gave me, and from there to the bathroom,
where I had a volume control glued to the toilet, and also reachable
from the bathtub. And a 10 or 12" woofer and tweeter from a 1930's
record player in the corner between the wall and ceiling of the
bathroom. Great sound. The speakers got moved to my house now.
They're about 75 years old and sound very good.

The grill cloth (decorative burlap actually) is water-stained from the
steam we talked about in another thread. I will replace the grill
cloth eventually but connnecting the speaker wires, then nailing the
molding up there while holding the speakers up with the other hand,
with a ladder too nearly vertical because it was in the bathtub was
hard enough 27 years ago

need to convert from MIC level to LINE-INPUT level wylbur37 Electronics Repair 15 May 24th 07 04:45 AM
"Entry Level" what does that mean? HVAC question... Stevey Sandlin Home Repair 6 September 26th 06 11:55 AM
entry-level jigsaw bob UK diy 17 May 16th 06 10:36 AM
Makers of mortise entry sets? Bert Hyman Home Repair 3 June 28th 04 07:49 AM
Sony tv KV36 jumps to video input on ANY remote entry Roy and Rosa Electronics Repair 3 June 3rd 04 01:08 AM