Bert Hyman

Default Makers of mortise entry sets?

I want to replace the mortise entry set in our front door. The cutouts
appear to conform to ANSI A115.1, so modern products should fit.

Google searches produce many hits on "Emtek" and "Baldwin". Their online
catalogs suggest they have products that -look OK.

Can anybody offer comments on these two makers? Pointers to other makers?

Are these products usually packaged for homeowner installation
(hand-holding instructions, etc)?

Do they usually come with lock cylinders, or is that a separate purchase?

These things aren't sold in places like Home Depot; where do I find them,
other than online?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
DanG

Any commercial hardware supplier handles mortise locks. Look in
the yellow pages under hardware / commercial.

Corbin/Russwin
Schlage
Yale
Falcon

See if these folks have a store in your area;
http://www.idnacme.com/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
I want to replace the mortise entry set in our front door. The

cutouts
appear to conform to ANSI A115.1, so modern products should fit.

Google searches produce many hits on "Emtek" and "Baldwin".

Their online
catalogs suggest they have products that -look OK.

Can anybody offer comments on these two makers? Pointers to

other makers?

Are these products usually packaged for homeowner installation
(hand-holding instructions, etc)?

Do they usually come with lock cylinders, or is that a separate

purchase?

These things aren't sold in places like Home Depot; where do I

find them,
other than online?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Bert Hyman

In news:IRHDc.1766$fd3.1442@lakeread04 "DanG" wrote:

Any commercial hardware supplier handles mortise locks. Look in
the yellow pages under hardware / commercial.

Corbin/Russwin
Schlage
Yale
Falcon

Commercial seems to be the operative word here; looking through their
online offerings, none of these guys have anything that would properly go
on the front door of my house.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

I want to replace the mortise entry set in our front door. The cutouts
appear to conform to ANSI A115.1, so modern products should fit.

Google searches produce many hits on "Emtek" and "Baldwin". Their online
catalogs suggest they have products that -look OK.

Can anybody offer comments on these two makers? Pointers to other makers?

Are these products usually packaged for homeowner installation
(hand-holding instructions, etc)?

Do they usually come with lock cylinders, or is that a separate purchase?

These things aren't sold in places like Home Depot; where do I find them,
other than online?

Baldwin is a very good supplier. Go to a place called a 'hardware store'
if you want to find 'hardware'. They will be able to answer your
questions also. A good one local to me is "Crown City Hardware" (they
have a web presence at http://www.crowncityhardware.com). Give them
a call and they will likely answer a lot of your questions over the
phone. They do carry Baldwin locks, among others. Since they do mail
order they won't mind if you are not local.

Dimitri