Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Default entry-level jigsaw

I am looking to purchase a jigsaw, to be used in the first instance to
cut some engineered wood flooring but also for future general use. I
like the look of Erbauer JS807, 800W with parallel fence. Does anyone
have any experience of this jigsaw or can any of you recommend a jigsaw
in the same price bracket (£50-£75). Any advice greatly appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:45:03 +0100, bob wrote
(in article . com):

I am looking to purchase a jigsaw, to be used in the first instance to
cut some engineered wood flooring but also for future general use. I
like the look of Erbauer JS807, 800W with parallel fence. Does anyone
have any experience of this jigsaw or can any of you recommend a jigsaw
in the same price bracket (£50-£75). Any advice greatly appreciated.

The short answer is that you won't find a decent jigsaw in the £50 bracket.
The mechanics are simply not well enough engineered to control blade
stability enough to prevent it wandering.

I had had a jigsaw in this category for many years and had even tried a few
other similar ones from time to time. None of them were able to provide
consistent, accurate cutting or to follow a line properly without wandering
off. It didn't matter what type of blade either.

I had pretty much given up on the notion of a jigsaw being of much use at all
other than for rough cutting where the results are not seen. I then had an
opportunity at a tool exhibition to have a go with a Bosch GST series just to
see what it was like. It was like chalk and cheese. There was accurate
speed control, the blade didn't wander about and I could easily cut straight
and random shapes. As a comparison, I tried a Makita tool in the same
price bracket. Not quite as good as the Bosch, but still streets ahead of
the basic products.

I bought the Bosch and have used it regularly ever since.

I've never found anything to touch it in the price range you mention.
Unfortunately, this level of saw is going to cost about £120, but if you are
going to use it for anything that will be seen, then I think that the entry
level jigsaws are a waste of money because you will almost certainly be
disappointed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Morley

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Andy on this too, I got a cheap erbereyr (or whatever from
screwfix) circular saw. Pile of s**t! Even that cannot cut a good straight
line!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Tim Morley wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

There isn't a jigsaw on the planet that cuts a "straight" line, but even
the cheapest circular saw should.
I think the £60 jigsaws pack quite a punch these days, and that's really
all it's about. The puny ones are simply underpowered, and that causes
wandering
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander

"bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking to purchase a jigsaw, to be used in the first instance to
cut some engineered wood flooring but also for future general use. I
like the look of Erbauer JS807, 800W with parallel fence. Does anyone
have any experience of this jigsaw or can any of you recommend a jigsaw
in the same price bracket (£50-£75). Any advice greatly appreciated.

I have the 650W version of the above and its well worth the £39.99. Better
power balance IMHO than the 450W Wickes/Kress it replaced which sufferred
from a sticky on/off switch and eventually a failed blade locking ring. I
paid particular attention to the locking ring and when I noticed a Makita
with a plastic locking ring I knew that wasn't for me even if spares were
available. The Erbauer speed control circuitry burned out after a year, but
it has a two year guarantee and was replaced without quibble. The
replacement has a stepped speed control, the original was continuously
variable, possibly a significant modification. It cuts perfectly straight
within its comfort zone.

Not exactly sure the type of flooring you are cutting but would a panel saw
not suffice?

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I agree with Andy, cheap jigsaws are very limited beasts. I recently
bought a Bosch GST135 - and it's transformed my opinion of jigsaws from
a bodgers tool to a capable device.

I'd suggest either finding a bit more cash for a superior jigsaw (the
Bosch GST2000 is being discontinued, and there are some bargains) - or
buy a circular saw (Skil Orca is good for price) and use a handsaw for
the pipe cut-outs and the like that a circular saw can't do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

bob wrote:
I am looking to purchase a jigsaw, to be used in the first instance to
cut some engineered wood flooring but also for future general use. I
like the look of Erbauer JS807, 800W with parallel fence. Does anyone
have any experience of this jigsaw or can any of you recommend a
jigsaw in the same price bracket (£50-£75). Any advice greatly
appreciated.

Surely engineered flooring should be cut with a Cross pull mitre
saw(compound saw)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Stuart Noble wrote:

There isn't a jigsaw on the planet that cuts a "straight" line, but
even the cheapest circular saw should.

Spot on Stuart. If you want a straight line cut a jigsaw is the wrong tool
to use.

I think the £60 jigsaws pack quite a punch these days, and that's
really all it's about. The puny ones are simply underpowered, and
that causes wandering

Agreed. I reckon 700w minimum.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Thanks everyone for your replies, off to look at mitre and circular
saws. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On 14 May 2006 00:10:20 -0700, "bob"
wrote:

Thanks everyone for your replies, off to look at mitre and circular
saws. :-)

Do a google for "sawboard" too.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Housemartin

I also agree with above posts about the bosch gst jigsaws giving
outstanding performance and disagree with the view that you can't cut
cut a straight line with a jigsaw. I have been using the BoschGST 135
BCE on a daily basis for the last 2 years and do a lot of straight line
cutting with it, ie doors, panels,floorboards,shelves etc. obviosly
anything like a table top has to be finshed with a plane anyway as
would using a circular saw but in a lot of cases it sufices.I use it
for doing laminate floors to great succes. I understand about cost
concerns but I think it is such a versatile tool that it will pay back
the serious diyer in time saved fiddeling about with inferior tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Housemartin wrote:
I also agree with above posts about the bosch gst jigsaws giving
outstanding performance and disagree with the view that you can't cut
cut a straight line with a jigsaw. I have been using the BoschGST 135
BCE on a daily basis for the last 2 years and do a lot of straight
line cutting with it, ie doors, panels,floorboards,shelves etc.
obviosly anything like a table top has to be finshed with a plane
anyway as would using a circular saw but in a lot of cases it
sufices.I use it for doing laminate floors to great succes. I
understand about cost concerns but I think it is such a versatile
tool that it will pay back the serious diyer in time saved fiddeling
about with inferior tools.

I'm summising the doors are kitchen cupboard ones?

Whats an inferior tool?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Whats an inferior tool?

Tony Blair?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

wrote:

Thanks everyone for your replies, off to look at mitre and circular
saws. :-)

Do a google for "sawboard" too.

Oh yes, a thing of wondrous beauty..............

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:15:27 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

There isn't a jigsaw on the planet that cuts a "straight" line, but even
the cheapest circular saw should.
I think the £60 jigsaws pack quite a punch these days,

Well there's your problem. Spend £150 on a Bosch and don't rush things.

I've cut dovetails in 1/2" softwood with mine. It's hardly a sensible
way to do them, but you can do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tournifreak

bob wrote: