Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Default entry-level jigsaw

Tim Morley wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:45:03 +0100, bob wrote
(in article . com):

I am looking to purchase a jigsaw, to be used in the first instance to
cut some engineered wood flooring but also for future general use. I
like the look of Erbauer JS807, 800W with parallel fence. Does anyone
have any experience of this jigsaw or can any of you recommend a jigsaw
in the same price bracket (£50-£75). Any advice greatly appreciated.

The short answer is that you won't find a decent jigsaw in the £50
bracket.
The mechanics are simply not well enough engineered to control blade
stability enough to prevent it wandering.

I had had a jigsaw in this category for many years and had even tried a
few
other similar ones from time to time. None of them were able to provide
consistent, accurate cutting or to follow a line properly without
wandering
off. It didn't matter what type of blade either.

I had pretty much given up on the notion of a jigsaw being of much use at
all
other than for rough cutting where the results are not seen. I then had
an
opportunity at a tool exhibition to have a go with a Bosch GST series just
see what it was like. It was like chalk and cheese. There was
accurate
speed control, the blade didn't wander about and I could easily cut
straight
and random shapes. As a comparison, I tried a Makita tool in the same
price bracket. Not quite as good as the Bosch, but still streets ahead of
the basic products.

I bought the Bosch and have used it regularly ever since.

I've never found anything to touch it in the price range you mention.
Unfortunately, this level of saw is going to cost about £120, but if you
are
going to use it for anything that will be seen, then I think that the
entry
level jigsaws are a waste of money because you will almost certainly be
disappointed.

I agree with Andy on this too, I got a cheap erbereyr (or whatever from
screwfix) circular saw. Pile of s**t! Even that cannot cut a good straight
line!

There isn't a jigsaw on the planet that cuts a "straight" line, but even
the cheapest circular saw should.
I think the £60 jigsaws pack quite a punch these days, and that's really
all it's about. The puny ones are simply underpowered, and that causes
wandering