Posted to alt.home.repair

Default On gas water heaters

A buddy of mine asked this question and since my b-i-l the plumber is
traveling this week, I thought I'd ask youse people.
His kid is going away over the holidays and wants to turn off the
water to the water heater. There is no indication of failure, but he
still doesn't entirely trust it. Because it is one where you have to
physically relight to pilot using a match or lighter, the kid doesn't
want to turn off the pilot. So... any particular reason you shouldn't
turn off the water to the heater if you are not also going to turn off
the pilot?
Thanks.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

A buddy of mine asked this question and since my b-i-l the plumber is
traveling this week, I thought I'd ask youse people.
His kid is going away over the holidays and wants to turn off the
water to the water heater. There is no indication of failure, but he
still doesn't entirely trust it. Because it is one where you have to
physically relight to pilot using a match or lighter, the kid doesn't
want to turn off the pilot. So... any particular reason you shouldn't
turn off the water to the heater if you are not also going to turn off
the pilot?
Thanks.

If he's going away on holiday, he could move the gas switch to the PILOT
position, so the burner won't be cycling on and off. Save some gas that
way and forestall any problems that could theoretically arise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:42:17 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:
So... any particular reason you shouldn't
turn off the water to the heater if you are not also going to turn off
the pilot?

Yes. If the WH does leak, including via a leaking hot water faucet,
and empties, the flame could damage the WH. This is a near certainty
with electric WHs, not sure how likely with gas. You don't indicate
whether the kid was planning to turn off the inlet, the outlet, or
both -- if he doesn't know how to relight a pilot, perhaps he doesn't
even know which valve is which. If he closes both and leaves the flame
on, I think there's a high likelihood that the pressure relief valve
will trip, discharging water wherever it does.

Also won't save any energy.

I believe that most gas WHs have a "pilot" setting, which keeps the
pilot lit but does not allow the main flame to ignite. Same as most
gas space heaters. May even be required.

If the kid doesn't know how to relight the pilot, he should not fool
with the WH. If he doesn't trust the WH, he should call the landlord.

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 11:42*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
A buddy of mine asked this question and since my b-i-l the plumber is
traveling this week, I thought I'd ask youse people.
* * *His kid is going away over the holidays and wants to turn off the
water to the water heater. There is no indication of failure, but he
still doesn't entirely trust it. *Because it is one where you have to
physically relight to pilot using a match or lighter, the kid doesn't
want to turn off the pilot. So... any particular reason you shouldn't
turn off the water to the heater if you are not also going to turn off
the pilot?
* * *Thanks.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

Better is closing the water main, leaks can occur anywhere. My
neighbor went away 2 days, the toilet on the second floor cracked,
Walls and ceilings were canvas on plaster, floors and furniture were
ruined. Turning down the water heater might save .50c a day
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Edward Reid wrote:

with electric WHs, not sure how likely with gas. You don't indicate
whether the kid was planning to turn off the inlet, the outlet, or
both -- if he doesn't know how to relight a pilot, perhaps he doesn't
even know which valve is which.

The inlet valve. It is on the second floor of the house and he is
concerned about it breaking and flooding the house before anyone notices
it. It sits in a pan that supposedly drains to the outside, but he
doesn't entirely trust that, either. He knows how, it is just sandwiched
near the washer in a small area and is really hard to get to. He just
doesn't want to.

Also won't save any energy.

As I said, energy isn't the concern, it is more flooding.

If the kid doesn't know how to relight the pilot, he should not fool
with the WH. If he doesn't trust the WH, he should call the landlord.

Owns the house.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It can't leak out of a hot water faucet...because there would be no
pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edward Reid wrote in
:

wrote:
So... any particular reason you shouldn't
turn off the water to the heater if you are not also going to turn off
the pilot?

Yes. If the WH does leak, including via a leaking hot water faucet,
and empties, the flame could damage the WH.

Wouldn't want to damage a leaking WH.

This is a near certainty
with electric WHs, not sure how likely with gas. You don't indicate
whether the kid was planning to turn off the inlet, the outlet, or
both -- if he doesn't know how to relight a pilot, perhaps he doesn't
even know which valve is which. If he closes both and leaves the flame
on, I think there's a high likelihood that the pressure relief valve
will trip, discharging water wherever it does.

Also won't save any energy.

I believe that most gas WHs have a "pilot" setting, which keeps the
pilot lit but does not allow the main flame to ignite. Same as most
gas space heaters. May even be required.

If the kid doesn't know how to relight the pilot, he should not fool
with the WH. If he doesn't trust the WH, he should call the landlord.

Edward

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 1:27*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
*Edward Reid wrote:

with electric WHs, not sure how likely with gas. You don't indicate
whether the kid was planning to turn off the inlet, the outlet, or
both -- if he doesn't know how to relight a pilot, perhaps he doesn't
even know which valve is which.

* * *The inlet valve. It is on the second floor of the house and he is
concerned about it breaking and flooding the house before anyone notices
it. It sits in a pan that supposedly drains to the outside, but he
doesn't entirely trust that, either. He knows how, it is just sandwiched
near the washer in a small area and is really hard to get to. He just
doesn't want to.

Also won't save any energy.

* * As I said, energy isn't the concern, it is more flooding.

If the kid doesn't know how to relight the pilot, he should not fool
with the WH. If he doesn't trust the WH, he should call the landlord.

* *Owns the house.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

Then turn off the main supply valve from the service line. Probably
in a closet somewhere. If he can't find it there should be a ball
valve atthe meter as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Edward Reid wrote:

[...]

That's part of my 'going on vacation' ritual - set up the lamp timers,
turn down the thermostat, turn off the water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Edward Reid wrote:

[...]

turn down the thermostat, turn off the water.- Hide quoted text -

Pretty smart ritual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
A buddy of mine asked this question and since my b-i-l the plumber is
traveling this week, I thought I'd ask youse people.
His kid is going away over the holidays and wants to turn off the
water to the water heater. There is no indication of failure, but he
still doesn't entirely trust it. Because it is one where you have to
physically relight to pilot using a match or lighter, the kid doesn't
want to turn off the pilot. So... any particular reason you shouldn't
turn off the water to the heater if you are not also going to turn off
the pilot?
Thanks.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is
to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

My tank has a "vacation" mode, just above pilot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The question was not about turning off the HEAT - just the pilot.

Put the control on PILOT and shut off the water - no problem.
If the heater leaks it will drown the pilot, but so what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
A buddy of mine asked this question and since my b-i-l the plumber is
traveling this week, I thought I'd ask youse people.
His kid is going away over the holidays and wants to turn off the
water to the water heater. There is no indication of failure, but he
still doesn't entirely trust it. Because it is one where you have to
physically relight to pilot using a match or lighter, the kid doesn't
want to turn off the pilot. So... any particular reason you shouldn't
turn off the water to the heater if you are not also going to turn off
the pilot?
Thanks.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is
to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

What I do every time I will be away for more than one night is turn the
water off at the main and turn the water heater to the pilot setting. For a
50 gallon heater I have about an hours recovery time when I come home.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

What I do when leaving for an extended trip..my new (gas) heater (installed
this week) has a vacation mode on the dial switch...however I will still
turn the dial to the pilot position, this will keep my tank warm (even
water) and help eliminate moisture internally which will eventually lead to
corrosion.
my opinion turn to pilot
New tank is cool even has an electric lighter
"Red Green" wrote in message
Edward Reid wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hope it's not "cool"...you need it to work!
(and by electric...do you mean piezo?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
A buddy of mine asked this question and since my b-i-l the plumber is
traveling this week, I thought I'd ask youse people.
His kid is going away over the holidays and wants to turn off the
water to the water heater. There is no indication of failure, but he
still doesn't entirely trust it. Because it is one where you have to
physically relight to pilot using a match or lighter, the kid doesn't
want to turn off the pilot.

The "kid" should just get a long lighter and learn how to re-light the W/H.

Until those "long lighters" became a dollar $tore item, I had acually gone
so far as to use a LPG torch to light a W/H. But those dollar $tore
lighters are so cheap that you can just keep one permanent next to any gas
appliance with a standing pilot.

Using a match was definitely a PITA.

If you worry about losing it, just take a long piece of string and tie it to
the W/H.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt: I'm agreeing with the others, that it's good to turn the main
red knob to vacation setting. Typically on the WH I've seen, the knob
on the side is for temperature setting.

It's also OK to turn the smaller knob on top of the gas valve to
"pilot" which will prevent the burner from coming on, at all.

Either is good, it's unlikely that either will give you any trouble.
As the water, I'd reccomend to turn off the main water valve, and open
all the faucets. Drain as much as you can, out of the pipes. In case
the furnace goes.

Jimmy -- in my part of the world, the electric goes out once a year or
so. My WH needs no electric. So, I have hot water even when the home
is freezing butt cold. I really value a hot shower, when the house is
freezing butt cold.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jimmy" wrote in message
What I do when leaving for an extended trip..my new (gas) heater
(installed
this week) has a vacation mode on the dial switch...however I will
still
turn the dial to the pilot position, this will keep my tank warm (even
water) and help eliminate moisture internally which will eventually
lead to
corrosion.
my opinion turn to pilot
New tank is cool even has an electric lighter

Posted to alt.home.repair

I actually prefer "self lighting" propane or mapp for WH lighting. Hot
and fast, just like I like my.... water heaters. What did you think I
was going to write?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...

The "kid" should just get a long lighter and learn how to re-light the
W/H.

Until those "long lighters" became a dollar $tore item, I had acually
gone
so far as to use a LPG torch to light a W/H. But those dollar $tore
lighters are so cheap that you can just keep one permanent next to any
gas
appliance with a standing pilot.

Using a match was definitely a PITA.

If you worry about losing it, just take a long piece of string and tie
it to
the W/H.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:23:58 -0500, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

[...]

Those foot-long fireplace matches work reasonably well, but the gas
match is sure simpler - and they don't go bad from absorbing moisture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*Edward Reid wrote:

[...]

valve atthe meter as well.- Hide quoted text -

How does that help in terms of getting to the water heater to re-light
it? Plus, he then has to re-light anything else with a pilot.

Every gas water heater I've ever seen has a pilot light position on
the gas control. That gas control knob is a lot easier to get to
than to re-light the pilot, so hoperfully he can get to it. If he
can't we'd have to wonder how the thing is installed or if there's a
ton of crap blocking it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*Edward Reid wrote:

[...]

ton of crap blocking it.- Hide quoted text -

Talking about turning off the water supply, not the gas. He's worried
about a leak flooding the house because no one is home to notice it.

Frankly that's unavoidable though a multi-day leak is probably the
worst. Most houses are unoccupied for hours at a time. A big leak
can cause a lot of damage in a couple hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Edward Reid wrote:

[...]

can cause a lot of damage in a couple hours.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not so sure I'd turn off the water without turning the water
heater to pilot. If he does that
then he needs to leave a hot water faucet open to allow for pressure
relief and avoid
tripping the TPR valve. And then he's relying solely on the final
failsafe mechanism in the gas
valve to shutoff the gas in the event that the water heater does
spring a leak and the water
runs out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 05:50:36 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 3, 8:39Â*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Dec 3, 8:19Â*am, wrote:

On Dec 1, 2:28Â*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Dec 1, 1:27Â*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
Â*Edward Reid wrote:

with electric WHs, not sure how likely with gas. You don't indicate
whether the kid was planning to turn off the inlet, the outlet, or
both -- if he doesn't know how to relight a pilot, perhaps he doesn't
even know which valve is which.

Â* Â* Â*The inlet valve. It is on the second floor of the house and he is
concerned about it breaking and flooding the house before anyone notices
it. It sits in a pan that supposedly drains to the outside, but he
doesn't entirely trust that, either. He knows how, it is just sandwiched
near the washer in a small area and is really hard to get to. He just
doesn't want to.

Also won't save any energy.

Â* Â* As I said, energy isn't the concern, it is more flooding.

If the kid doesn't know how to relight the pilot, he should not fool
with the WH. If he doesn't trust the WH, he should call the landlord.

Â* Â*Owns the house.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
Â*---PJ O'Rourke

Then turn off the main supply valve from the service line. Â*Probably
in a closet somewhere. Â* If he can't find it there should be a ball
valve atthe meter as well.- Hide quoted text -

How does that help in terms of getting to the water heater to re-light
it? Â* Plus, he then has to re-light anything else with a pilot.

Every gas water heater I've ever seen has a pilot light position on
the gas control. Â* That gas control knob is a lot easier to get to
than to re-light the pilot, so hoperfully he can get to it. Â* If he
can't we'd have to wonder how the thing is installed or if there's a
ton of crap blocking it.- Hide quoted text -

Talking about turning off the water supply, not the gas. Â*He's worried
about a leak flooding the house because no one is home to notice it.

Frankly that's unavoidable though a multi-day leak is probably the
worst. Â*Most houses are unoccupied for hours at a time. Â*A big leak
can cause a lot of damage in a couple hours.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not so sure I'd turn off the water without turning the water
heater to pilot. If he does that
then he needs to leave a hot water faucet open to allow for pressure
relief and avoid
tripping the TPR valve. And then he's relying solely on the final
failsafe mechanism in the gas
valve to shutoff the gas in the event that the water heater does
spring a leak and the water
runs out.

The pilot will not provide enough heat to cause any pressure/temp
relief to open. Leaving it on VACATION should not be a serious issue
either if the water is hot when he shuts off the water. To be safe,
just crack the highest water tap in the house enough to cause a drip
- hot or cold doesn't matter. It won't drip unless the pressure
builds, and will not fill the pipes with air which will make them
hammer like crazy when the water is turned back on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Edward Reid wrote:

[...]

Who ever said that it did? Not me. I said if he chose to follow the
advice, which was to turn off the main water supply to the house and
NOT touch the
water heater, then he should make sure to open a hot water faucet.

Leaving it on VACATION should not be a serious issue
either if the water is hot when he shuts off the water. To be safe,
just crack the highest water tap in the house *enough to cause a drip
- hot or cold doesn't matter. It won't drip unless the pressure
builds, and will not fill the pipes with air which will make them
hammer like crazy when the water is turned back on.- Hide quoted text -

If it were me, I would never leave a water heater in a mode where it's
going to be firing up at all with the water supply turned off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 05:39:14 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc
wrote:

Talking about turning off the water supply, not the gas. He's worried
about a leak flooding the house because no one is home to notice it.

Frankly that's unavoidable though a multi-day leak is probably the
worst. Most houses are unoccupied for hours at a time. A big leak
can cause a lot of damage in a couple hours.

Reminds me of a recent discussion here about basement floor drains.
Houses on slabs usually don't have them.
A buddy had all kinds of damage done to laminate wood floors,
carpeting and even drywall when a dishwasher supply came loose
when he and his wife were at work.
Even a basement floor drain won't help a dishwasher in the kitchen.
That and the toilet are the ones with flex fittings and attention
should be paid that were done well.
I had a washer hose pop in the basement but there was no damage done
because the water went down the floor drain.
Makes me think I'll just shut off the main next time I go on vacation.
Put the water heater on pilot or just shut the gas main too.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Â*Edward Reid wrote:

[...]

heater to pilot. Â*If he does that
then he needs to leave a hot water faucet open to allow for pressure
relief and avoid
tripping the TPR valve. Â* And then he's relying solely on the final
failsafe mechanism in the gas
valve to shutoff the gas in the event that the water heater does
spring a leak and the water
runs out.

Â*The pilot will not provide enough heat to cause any pressure/temp
relief to open.

Who ever said that it did? Not me. I said if he chose to follow the
advice, which was to turn off the main water supply to the house and
NOT touch the
water heater, then he should make sure to open a hot water faucet.

I misread it - I totally missed the "without" - it was time for an
afternoon nap!!!

Leaving it on VACATION should not be a serious issue
either if the water is hot when he shuts off the water. To be safe,
just crack the highest water tap in the house Â*enough to cause a drip
- hot or cold doesn't matter. It won't drip unless the pressure
builds, and will not fill the pipes with air which will make them
hammer like crazy when the water is turned back on.- Hide quoted text -

If it were me, I would never leave a water heater in a mode where it's
going to be firing up at all with the water supply turned off.

I was just responding to the percieved safety issue raised.

Water heaters Kurt Ullman Home Repair 28 December 14th 08 07:14 AM
Water heaters Jim Home Repair 84 October 9th 07 06:18 PM
Hard water & Indirect Water Heaters [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 9th 07 04:29 AM
Circulating hot water vs two hot water heaters [email protected] Home Ownership 10 March 3rd 05 06:17 AM