Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Circulating hot water vs two hot water heaters

We are building a house that is about 2200 sq ft. The kitchen and
utility room are at one end and the bedroom/bathrooms are at the
other. We want to consider either installing two hot water
heaters(one in each end) or a circulating hot water system. We would
appreciate receiving any advice and experience to help us in this
choice. We are told by our builder that the original cost is about
the same. Thanks

How does this compare with the system that continuously circulates and
also, to having two tanks?

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:59:25 -0500, mid787 wrote:

wrote:
We are building a house that is about 2200 sq ft. The kitchen and
utility room are at one end and the bedroom/bathrooms are at the
other. We want to consider either installing two hot water
heaters(one in each end) or a circulating hot water system. We would
appreciate receiving any advice and experience to help us in this
choice. We are told by our builder that the original cost is about
the same. Thanks

I have a 2800 sq. ft 2-story home. I have the Laing auto-circ. You
install it under the sink in the furthest sink from the hot water tank.
I have had this since i built my house about 8 years ago. You can find
the Laing auto-circ on ebay for less that $250.00.

I had my plumber do it after I built my house. Just make you put an
electric outlet under your sink inside your vanity cabinet.

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:38:43 -0700, someone wrote:

and yet, here, the local gov't subsidizes use of circulators. of course,
they save an incredible amount of water, we live in the middle of a desert
and have a 7 year drought going on.

Waste one or waste the other. In a desert where water is precious,
certainly they don't want people running the water down the drain.
But for more normal situations, I doubt the savings is "incredible".
If I ran my bathroom faucet for a minute to get the hot water to come
up, it wouldn't half fill a 5 gallon bucket. Sure there is a savings
and if you multiply anything by millions of people you get a big
number.

So the water company likes the circulators - but what does the power
company think of those millions of small heating loops running 24/7
during air-conditioning season - the waste of electricity is
incredible, LOL.

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:11:57 GMT, someone wrote:

We are building a house that is about 2200 sq ft. The kitchen and
utility room are at one end and the bedroom/bathrooms are at the
other. We want to consider either installing two hot water
heaters(one in each end) or a circulating hot water system.

Oh jeez for the same money, DEFINITELY get two water heaters. More
capacity, doing dishes (where was the washer again?) doesn't effect
the shower, no constant small heating loop fired by your water heater
(that's what the circulating loop becomes) running 24/7 to use energy
(well, in heating season its helping you out with heat, but if you
have an A/C season....) I think normally this will use more than the
standby loss on the 2nd heater.

In any case, 2200 s.f. seems like a pretty small house to have the two
ends so far away that one heater in the middle wouldn't do the trick.
My house is 83 feet long and the heater (there actually are two, but
they are together in series) is more or less in the middle and its not
that big a deal to get hot water.

But if you have to choose, for the same $, get the 2 heaters.

Charles Spitzer

"v" wrote in message
[...]

they love them. we have a big nuke to power them. most houses in this area
are built on a concrete slab directly on the ground, with underslab pipes.
most of the heat goes down, not up.

Neil Williams

wrote in message
We are building a house that is about 2200 sq ft. The kitchen and
utility room are at one end and the bedroom/bathrooms are at the
other. We want to consider either installing two hot water
heaters(one in each end) or a circulating hot water system. We would
appreciate receiving any advice and experience to help us in this
choice. We are told by our builder that the original cost is about
the same. Thanks

2200 sq ft. seems pretty small to be concerned about needing
two heaters or a recirculator. In any case, one drawback to
two heaters is the space needed for the second heater. The
circulator is a tiny little pump that doesn't take up any extra
space, whereas a second heater has a pretty big footprint.

--Neil

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM