Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default On gas water heaters

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

A buddy of mine asked this question and since my b-i-l the plumber is
traveling this week, I thought I'd ask youse people.
His kid is going away over the holidays and wants to turn off the
water to the water heater. There is no indication of failure, but he
still doesn't entirely trust it. Because it is one where you have to
physically relight to pilot using a match or lighter, the kid doesn't
want to turn off the pilot. So... any particular reason you shouldn't
turn off the water to the heater if you are not also going to turn off
the pilot?
Thanks.

If he's going away on holiday, he could move the gas switch to the PILOT
position, so the burner won't be cycling on and off. Save some gas that
way and forestall any problems that could theoretically arise.