Posted to alt.home.repair

Default On gas water heaters

On Dec 1, 2:54*pm, schmidtd wrote:
On Dec 1, 2:28*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Dec 1, 1:27*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
*Edward Reid wrote:

with electric WHs, not sure how likely with gas. You don't indicate
whether the kid was planning to turn off the inlet, the outlet, or
both -- if he doesn't know how to relight a pilot, perhaps he doesn't
even know which valve is which.

* * *The inlet valve. It is on the second floor of the house and he is
concerned about it breaking and flooding the house before anyone notices
it. It sits in a pan that supposedly drains to the outside, but he
doesn't entirely trust that, either. He knows how, it is just sandwiched
near the washer in a small area and is really hard to get to. He just
doesn't want to.

Also won't save any energy.

* * As I said, energy isn't the concern, it is more flooding.

If the kid doesn't know how to relight the pilot, he should not fool
with the WH. If he doesn't trust the WH, he should call the landlord.

* *Owns the house.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
*---PJ O'Rourke

Then turn off the main supply valve from the service line. *Probably
in a closet somewhere. * If he can't find it there should be a ball
valve atthe meter as well.

That's part of my 'going on vacation' ritual - set up the lamp timers,
turn down the thermostat, turn off the water.- Hide quoted text -

Pretty smart ritual.