Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring a double outlet, how-to dept.

I just want to share something I stumbled upon; I always put in double
outlets when we do a room over in our old house, but have had problems
with getting the wires that connect the 2 together the right length to
not have problems installing the face plate. In an inspired action the
other day, I assembled the sockets in the double switch plate and
wired them there. When removed them from the switch plate & put them
in the box, it went as easy as pie. I didn't have to fight or lever at
all, and the switch plate dropped right on. I just though I'd share,
maybe everyone else has been doing that right along, but it was a
revelation to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 02:42:52 -0800 (PST), Eric in North TX
wrote:

I just want to share something I stumbled upon; I always put in double
outlets when we do a room over in our old house, but have had problems
with getting the wires that connect the 2 together the right length to
not have problems installing the face plate. In an inspired action the
other day, I assembled the sockets in the double switch plate and
wired them there. When removed them from the switch plate & put them
in the box, it went as easy as pie. I didn't have to fight or lever at
all, and the switch plate dropped right on. I just though I'd share,
maybe everyone else has been doing that right along, but it was a
revelation to me.

I certainly hadn't thought of it. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
I just want to share something I stumbled upon; I always put in double
outlets when we do a room over in our old house, but have had problems
with getting the wires that connect the 2 together the right length to
not have problems installing the face plate. In an inspired action the
other day, I assembled the sockets in the double switch plate and
wired them there. When removed them from the switch plate & put them
in the box, it went as easy as pie. I didn't have to fight or lever at
all, and the switch plate dropped right on. I just though I'd share,
maybe everyone else has been doing that right along, but it was a
revelation to me.

Great idea, must remember that. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 9:20*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote:

I just want to share something I stumbled upon; I always put in double
outlets when we do a room over in our old house, but have had problems
with getting the wires that connect the 2 together the right length to
not have problems installing the face plate. In an inspired action the
other day, I assembled the sockets in the double switch plate and
wired them there. When removed them from the switch plate & put them
in the box, it went as easy as pie. I didn't have to fight or lever at
all, and the switch plate dropped right on. I just though I'd share,
maybe everyone else has been doing that right along, but it was a
revelation to me.

I'm not sure I understand you. *Are you saying that you previously had
difficuty connecting one of the two duplex outlets to the other? *If so, I
am minorly sad to inform you that there is no need to connect them as they
*come* connected (unless you have broken off the tabs that do so).

--

It would seem what he's talking about is putting two duplex outlets
into a box. Not sure I see the big issue here either though. You
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 8:26*am, wrote:
On Dec 1, 9:20*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Eric in North TX wrote:

[...]

There is an element I hadn't seen necessary to mention, I use 12 ga
wire exclusively and in short runs like that it is very stiff. I have
had success in the past making the connecting wires V shaped which
gave them a little give, but this is definitely superior, it is like
installing a sub assembly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 1, 8:26*am, wrote:
On Dec 1, 9:20*am, "dadiOH" wrote:

Eric in North TX wrote:

[...]

Lots of luck on that with 12 gage. It's far faster to use something
similar to the OP suggestion, even better with pigtails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2010 02:42, Eric in North TX wrote:
I just want to share something I stumbled upon; I always put in double
outlets when we do a room over in our old house, but have had problems
with getting the wires that connect the 2 together the right length to
not have problems installing the face plate. In an inspired action the
other day, I assembled the sockets in the double switch plate and
wired them there. When removed them from the switch plate & put them
in the box, it went as easy as pie. I didn't have to fight or lever at
all, and the switch plate dropped right on. I just though I'd share,
maybe everyone else has been doing that right along, but it was a
revelation to me.

The idea of attaching two devices to a cover plate and wiring them there
only is practical only if you use back-stab connectors, generally a
frowned-upon shortcut and only possible with 14 gauge wire.

For added long-term reliability the two devices should be wired with one
unbroken length of wire. This requires sufficient wire length outside
the box when the wire is first run. Strip away enough wire to loop
around the terminals of the first device about 6 inches from the end of
the wire, then strip away from the end of the copper for the second
device. Wire both devices before placing them in the box; you can use
the cover plate to shape the wires for the proper distance between the
devices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 4:18*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

I disagree, the 4 hard wire posts allow for secure attachment of the
connecting wires, with 4 spots let over for hard wiring / expansion,
The sloppy nature of doing it all in position would not be more
reliable than the sub assembly securely wired in with nicely looped
wires. I don't back stab, that is just asking for it. There are 8
screws between the 2 outlets, only 4 are needed to complete the sub
assembly.