Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing flourescent lighting with hi-hats in basement

I am redoing my basement and I wanted to put all H7 hi hats to replace
the flourescent lighting. I presently have 4 1X4 fixtures in. I am
trying to figure out how many hi-hats equals 1 fixture as far as
lighting goes.
I have plenty of room in my electric panel so running a new circuit is
not a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 8:09*am, Mikepier wrote:
I am redoing my basement and I wanted to put all H7 hi hats to replace
the flourescent lighting. I presently have 4 1X4 fixtures in. I am
trying to figure out how many hi-hats equals 1 fixture as far as
lighting goes.
have plenty of room in my electric panel so running a new circuit is
not a problem.

What type and watt bulbs do you plan to use. I think what you have
equals about 640w incandesant , maybe 2300-3000 lumen each, so you
might have 12000 lumen now and its not directional like downlights.
You will Im guessing maybe need 16-20000 lumen to equal what you have
now, spiral cfls probably will overheat, cfl flood lights might work,
2-4 pin flourescents will work. So maybe 20, 13w 2 pin flourescent
lights?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am redoing my basement and I wanted to put all H7 hi hats to replace
the flourescent lighting. I presently have 4 1X4 fixtures in. I am
trying to figure out how many hi-hats equals 1 fixture as far as
lighting goes.
I have plenty of room in my electric panel so running a new circuit is
not a problem.

As Ransley points out, there are too many variables. The fluorescent strips
will spread the light better than a downlight, especially if the ceiling is
low. The H7 is adjustable so you can at least lower the lamp to the plane of
the ceiling which will help spread the light. I'm sure Halo has on their
website, the photometrics of each trim type to help you figure it out

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am redoing my basement and I wanted to put all H7 hi hats to replace
the flourescent lighting. I presently have 4 1X4 fixtures in. I am
trying to figure out how many hi-hats equals 1 fixture as far as
lighting goes.
I have plenty of room in my electric panel so running a new circuit is
not a problem.

You are going to need to research it a bit. Maybe buy a couple of clamp on
lights, put the bulbs in those and see how the light spreads. If I knew
the area and the LxW of the room I might be able to offer a suggestion or
two to get you on the right track.

I just transformed the darkest, dreariest kitchen I own to a warm friendly
one by replacing a single four foot 2 bulb with 6 recessed lights. Three of
those are over the countertop, one is over the stove and two are for the
general area. I organized those lights on three switches so that the light
could match the function needed at the time. One switch controls one light,
one switch controls 2 lights and the third controls 3. The lighting load
can match the required need with a flip of the switch.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I am redoing my basement and I wanted to put all H7 hi hats to replace
the flourescent lighting. I presently have 4 1X4 fixtures in. I am
trying to figure out how many hi-hats equals 1 fixture as far as
lighting goes.
I have plenty of room in my electric panel so running a new circuit is
not a problem.

Either way. With proper lighting, as given off by florescents, you and
visitors will be looking at your stuff. With crummy lighting, such as the
high-hats, people will be looking at the light fixtures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am redoing my basement and I wanted to put all H7 hi hats to replace
the flourescent lighting. I presently have 4 1X4 fixtures in. I am
trying to figure out how many hi-hats equals 1 fixture as far as
lighting goes.
I have plenty of room in my electric panel so running a new circuit is
not a problem.

As Ransley points out, there are too many variables. The fluorescent strips
will spread the light better than a downlight, especially if the ceiling is
low. The H7 is adjustable so you can at least lower the lamp to the plane of
the ceiling which will help spread the light. I'm sure Halo has on their
website, the photometrics of each trim type to help you figure it out

I agree there are too many variables. What is the room used for. How
much light do you need. Does the light have to be pretty uniform or are
lighted and dim areas OK. Recessed lights can be 'dramatic' but can
easily produce dim areas. If lit by one recessed light your hands can
cast shadows on what you are working on (if you are working on something).

--
bud--