Phisherman

Default Garage flourescent lighting trouble

I'm having garage fluorescent lighting trouble. There are two surface
mount fluorescent tube pairs in my garage controlled by two three-way
switches. When I turn one switch on, the ends of both fixtures glow
for awhile, then sometimes eventually light. Sometimes only one (of
the four tubes) light. Today I tried running my hand across the tubes
and that made them light up. Fixtures, tubes and all are 13 years
old. They have had problems when tempertures drop to 10 degrees in the
winter, but this is first during the hot summers. The temperature in
the garage is about 90 to 100 degrees, high humidity. Any
ideas/comments? Or troubleshooting steps to take?
Joseph Meehan

Phisherman wrote:
I'm having garage fluorescent lighting trouble. There are two surface
mount fluorescent tube pairs in my garage controlled by two three-way
switches. When I turn one switch on, the ends of both fixtures glow
for awhile, then sometimes eventually light. Sometimes only one (of
the four tubes) light. Today I tried running my hand across the tubes
and that made them light up. Fixtures, tubes and all are 13 years
old. They have had problems when tempertures drop to 10 degrees in the
winter, but this is first during the hot summers. The temperature in
the garage is about 90 to 100 degrees, high humidity. Any
ideas/comments? Or troubleshooting steps to take?

It might be a good idea to switch to new high efficient, cold rated
fixtures and lamps. However you can fix the ones you have by fixing the bad
ground wire.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Beachcomber

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:09:38 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
I'm having garage fluorescent lighting trouble. There are two surface
mount fluorescent tube pairs in my garage controlled by two three-way
switches. When I turn one switch on, the ends of both fixtures glow
for awhile, then sometimes eventually light. Sometimes only one (of
the four tubes) light. Today I tried running my hand across the tubes
and that made them light up. Fixtures, tubes and all are 13 years
old. They have had problems when tempertures drop to 10 degrees in the
winter, but this is first during the hot summers. The temperature in
the garage is about 90 to 100 degrees, high humidity. Any
ideas/comments? Or troubleshooting steps to take?

It might be a good idea to switch to new high efficient, cold rated
fixtures and lamps. However you can fix the ones you have by fixing the bad
ground wire.

Good advice... I would add that if you are changing the tubes, change
them in pairs. Used tubes are characterized by a blackening of the
cathodes (at the ends) but a bad tube doesn't always make itself
visible.

Beachcomber

AZ Nomad

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:55:43 GMT, Raid wrote:

Do you have 5 people to come over and help you?
If yes then try changing the bulbs!

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:04:16 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I'm having garage fluorescent lighting trouble. There are two surface
mount fluorescent tube pairs in my garage controlled by two three-way
switches. When I turn one switch on, the ends of both fixtures glow
for awhile, then sometimes eventually light. Sometimes only one (of
the four tubes) light. Today I tried running my hand across the tubes
and that made them light up. Fixtures, tubes and all are 13 years
old. They have had problems when tempertures drop to 10 degrees in the
winter, but this is first during the hot summers. The temperature in
the garage is about 90 to 100 degrees, high humidity. Any
ideas/comments? Or troubleshooting steps to take?

Spend the $30 and replace the entire fixtures. That or replace the balasts
which probably cost nearly as much.
Choreboy

Phisherman wrote:

I'm having garage fluorescent lighting trouble. There are two surface
mount fluorescent tube pairs in my garage controlled by two three-way
switches. When I turn one switch on, the ends of both fixtures glow
for awhile, then sometimes eventually light. Sometimes only one (of
the four tubes) light. Today I tried running my hand across the tubes
and that made them light up. Fixtures, tubes and all are 13 years
old. They have had problems when tempertures drop to 10 degrees in the
winter, but this is first during the hot summers. The temperature in
the garage is about 90 to 100 degrees, high humidity. Any
ideas/comments? Or troubleshooting steps to take?

Washing and drying tubes has helped me. A new tube has a coating of
silicone or something to repel moisture, but humidity affects older
tubes. Washing seems to get rid of contaminants that hold moisture.
Sometimes a nonstarting tube will feel moist when everything else in the
room feels dry.

Phisherman

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
I'm having garage fluorescent lighting trouble. There are two surface
mount fluorescent tube pairs in my garage controlled by two three-way
switches. When I turn one switch on, the ends of both fixtures glow
for awhile, then sometimes eventually light. Sometimes only one (of
the four tubes) light. Today I tried running my hand across the tubes
and that made them light up. Fixtures, tubes and all are 13 years
old. They have had problems when tempertures drop to 10 degrees in the
winter, but this is first during the hot summers. The temperature in
the garage is about 90 to 100 degrees, high humidity. Any
ideas/comments? Or troubleshooting steps to take?

It might be a good idea to switch to new high efficient, cold rated
fixtures and lamps. However you can fix the ones you have by fixing the bad
ground wire.

Help me here. To test the ground. Would I test continuity between
the metal housing and the ground from an electrical outlet? If this
tests okay, I'm thinking about replacing the tubes or the entire
fixtures.
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Well that will check out half of the problem. It is also possible that
the outlet is not properly grounded. You can try one of the inexpensive
tester than plug in and light up.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Phisherman

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 02:28:31 -0400, Choreboy
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

[...]

I removed the tubes, washed and dried them, and now they are lighting
up properly. Thanks Choreboy!