Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen recessed lighting, flourescent screw in vs dedicated

I'd like to use flourescent bulbs in our remodeled kitchen's recessed
fixtures - I think. I'm not sure they'll be bright enough, but expect
they will be. My main concern is whether to install the dedicated
flourescent cans, or keep my options open by installing screw base
fixutures that would use the screw base flourscent bulbs. I know code in
my area requires some dedicated flour fixtures in the kitchen.

I have a bunch of questions, I'll put them all out enmass, and will
appreciate any input.

Are there any inherant advantages to the cans that have built in ballast
etc?

Some of the screw based flourescent bulbs seem to turn on without delay;
some have a one second delay.

Some are flourescent bulbs have a very white light and some are more
rosy...would prefer the rosy, but not sure how to spec to supplier?

Screw base flourescent bulbs can be either the naked type (coils
exposed) or there are also some that have the coils inside a
'floodlight' type glass enclousure. I thought these might be a good
compromise, since can's reflective trim is sheilded from dust etc. Also,
not sure but wondered if they don't throw more light, or throw it more
widely, since the bulb extents just beyond the trim.

If I use the naked coil screw base, or the dedicated prong base, with a
reflective trim, I'm concerned that kitchen oils etc will end up on the
reflective trim and need cleaning. But does that really occur?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Nano,
Here's my experience. I put 6 potlights in my kitchen. I didn't want halogen
lights so I purchased a package of regular 6" incandescent fixtures which
included 6 X 75W flood light bulbs.
I didn't want to use all the included bulbs for energy usage reasons but I
didn't want to just throw out the working bulbs either. So I purchased some
fluorescent bulbs from Costco, I don't recall the wattage but they were 75W
equivalent and used 3 of each. They were the flood style with the twist
inside.

When I first turned them on I was concerned, the fluorescent bulbs seemed to
not work but then flickered on after a few seconds. They were noticeably
dimmer than the incandescent as well. However after about 10 minutes I could
no longer tell the difference between the two styles of bulbs. For a short
time the fluorescents took a little while to flick on and warm up but after
a couple of days as far as I can tell they turned on instantly and at or
near full brightness. So I'm very happy with them.

I cant see what the advantage of ballast type fixtures would be.

, I got a good price on a package that included
"nano" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 12:52*pm, nano wrote:
I'd like to use flourescent bulbs in our remodeled kitchen's recessed
fixtures - I think. I'm not sure they'll be bright enough,

So why use them? Sure they last longer and CAN use less electricity
but what about the impact on the environment? Is it realistic to
expect people to store used flourescent lights and ballasts in
protective containers until the local government comes up with a way
to safely recycle them? Or will homeowners more likely toss them in
the can with their milk jugs and wine bottles for 'recycling'.

http://www.worldwise.com/recfluorlig.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just use normal cans and get the correct flood shaped CF bulbs, you will
most likely be happy with them but that way you keep your options open.
Cheaper too.
I replaced 6 halogen 65 watt bulbs in my kitchen with the equivalent
fluorescents ( I think they are 13 watt, I'm too lazy to go check one), they
have been in there over a year with no failures. They actually are brighter
than the halogens, and nearly as white. They do take a second to light and a
little while ( maybe a minute) to come up to full brightness but they are
great after that. I don;t think they cost any more than the halogens I had
in there did either. Mine were from Lowes, but you can get them anyplace
these days.
As for color, you might as well try a few and see which one you like, then
buy the rest, but realistically once you get used to them you won't notice
the difference anyway, they will look 'normal' to you.

--
Mikey S.
"nano" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nano" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Why spend more money and limit your options? Personally, I can't stand the
light given by most CF lamps. You may not like it either. Down the road as
they improve them, you may want them, you also may like LED's when they get
better and cheaper

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , nano wrote:
I'd like to use flourescent bulbs in our remodeled kitchen's recessed
fixtures - I think. I'm not sure they'll be bright enough, but expect
they will be. My main concern is whether to install the dedicated
flourescent cans, or keep my options open by installing screw base
fixutures that would use the screw base flourscent bulbs. I know code in
my area requires some dedicated flour fixtures in the kitchen.

I have a bunch of questions, I'll put them all out enmass, and will
appreciate any input.

Are there any inherant advantages to the cans that have built in ballast
etc?

Definitely. Screw-in compact fluorescents tend to have their ballasts
overheat when they are used in cans.

Some of the screw based flourescent bulbs seem to turn on without delay;
some have a one second delay.

The better ones have a slight to 1 second delay. This is for warming up
the filaments first, to reduce starting-related wear.

Some are flourescent bulbs have a very white light and some are more
rosy...would prefer the rosy, but not sure how to spec to supplier?

This is usually specified as "color temperature". Usual ones a

2700 - usual compact fluorescent color, orangish to roughly incandescent
color.

3500 - a "whiter shade of warm white" - my favorite, but mainly for
brighter lighting conditions. It can look a little dreary in dimmer
lighting conditions - in which case a lower color temperature such as 2700
would be better.

4100 - "cool white color", plain white, though with better color rendering
than "old tech cool white".

5000 - an icy cold pure white.

Screw base flourescent bulbs can be either the naked type (coils
exposed) or there are also some that have the coils inside a
'floodlight' type glass enclousure. I thought these might be a good
compromise, since can's reflective trim is sheilded from dust etc. Also,
not sure but wondered if they don't throw more light, or throw it more
widely, since the bulb extents just beyond the trim.

In general, ones with outer bulbs have a wider temperature range, but
also start dimmer and have a greater need to warm up.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Limp Arbor wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:52*pm, nano wrote:
I'd like to use flourescent bulbs in our remodeled kitchen's recessed
fixtures - I think. I'm not sure they'll be bright enough,

So why use them? Sure they last longer and CAN use less electricity

More than just can - they have a high rate of actually doing so.

but what about the impact on the environment?

Positive, considering that a good chunk of USA's electricity is from
coal burning plants. The amount of mercury emitted by burning enough
coal to produce 75 watts for 4,000 hours is much more than the amount of
mercury in a 19, 20 or 23 watt CFL.

Is it realistic to expect people to store used flourescent lights and
ballasts in a protective containers until the local government comes up
with a way to safely recycle them? Or will homeowners more likely toss
them in the can with their milk jugs and wine bottles for 'recycling'.

http://www.worldwise.com/recfluorlig.html

Actually mentions that on average, fluorescents in lieu of incandescents
results in a net reduction of mercury pollution, but does advise to
recycle fluorescent lamps.

The ballast recycling advice applies mainly to 2-bulb rapid start
ballasts, since the issue is oil filled capacitors. The ballasts in
screw-in CFLs do not have those, nor in general do ballasts for 1-lamp
fluorescents less than 30 watts. Also in general, electronic ballasts do
not have oil filled capacitors.

As for options and legal requirements in your area - www.lamprecycle.org

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Art wrote:

LED bulbs will be the next great thing so go with the plain cans.

It's going to be a while before they get that good and actually more
economical than fluorescents. Before they do, you will be seeing them for
use in fixtures with fluorescent ballasts.

- Don Klipstein )

Uhhh, horrible flourescent lighting Battleax Woodworking 36 November 27th 05 05:27 AM
Garage flourescent lighting trouble Phisherman Home Repair 7 July 19th 05 10:36 PM
recessed lighting? no thank you effi Home Repair 44 January 30th 05 06:20 PM
Recessed lighting. rw Home Repair 1 November 26th 04 05:21 PM
Recessed Lighting TrueWest Home Repair 2 November 18th 04 02:07 AM