Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Clog?

My toilet/drain has a clog in it. I can tell by the half assed way it
flushes.

I tried the usual things, like a plunger, hot water, and even a toilet
auger. I can get the toilet auger all the way down and turn it with
the handle. It comes out clean, toiletstill doesn't flush right.

I assume then that my clog is farther down than that, (maybe in the
stack?).

Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-11-27, Don Green wrote:

I assume then that my clog is farther down than that, (maybe in the
stack?).

Sound guess.

How cold is it? Last winter, uur sewers were backed up for almost 90
days cuz main sewer line was frozen. Could also be roots in line from
house to main line in road. We had to have ours "rootered" (auger
cut) every 1-2 yrs.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 9:12*pm, Don Green wrote:
My toilet/drain has a clog in it. *I can tell by the half assed way it
flushes.

I tried the usual things, like a plunger, hot water, and even a toilet
auger. *I can get the toilet auger all the way down and turn it with
the handle. *It comes out clean, toiletstill doesn't flush right.

I assume then that my clog is farther down than that, (maybe in the
stack?).

Any thoughts?

Has your wife started using one of those "disinfectant"
products? If so, research "Blue goo".
Does the commode flush better on the second flush?
Posted to alt.home.repair

We need a bit more information.

What are the symptoms?
Does the flush water rise up in the bowl, and drain slowly?
Are you on septic, or public water?
Has this happened before, in your house?
Is the toilet on the first or second floor?
Does the toilet flush normally if you pour a bucket of water in the
bowl?
Is there another toilet in the house? Does the other toilet work
properly?
Do other drains work properly?
Is the weather there bitter cold?
Do you have children who flush toys, or females who flush applicators?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Green" wrote in message

My toilet/drain has a clog in it. I can tell by the half assed way it
flushes.

I tried the usual things, like a plunger, hot water, and even a toilet
auger. I can get the toilet auger all the way down and turn it with
the handle. It comes out clean, toiletstill doesn't flush right.

I assume then that my clog is farther down than that, (maybe in the
stack?).

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Green" wrote in message

My toilet/drain has a clog in it. I can tell by the half assed way it
flushes.

I tried the usual things, like a plunger, hot water, and even a toilet
auger. I can get the toilet auger all the way down and turn it with
the handle. It comes out clean, toiletstill doesn't flush right.

I assume then that my clog is farther down than that, (maybe in the
stack?).

Any thoughts?

Possible. I had a clog that was over 100 feet down the line, but eventually
backed up all the way. The idiots putting in a new utility pole drilled
right through my sewer line and it took a couple of months for the problem
to show up.

It is also possible that you have a solid obstruction, like a kids toy right
at the toilet outlet. Enough opening to allow the auger by, enough to cause
a slow down.

Are other toilets and sink draining properly?

Fill a bucket with water. Flush the toilet. As soon as the bowl empties,
pour in enough for another flush, then maybe another. That will either back
it up so you can judge the distance, or purge the solids in the line if it
is a hang up of paper or a tampon, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:12:12 -0500, Don Green
wrote:

My toilet/drain has a clog in it. I can tell by the half assed way it
flushes.

I tried the usual things, like a plunger, hot water, and even a toilet
auger. I can get the toilet auger all the way down and turn it with
the handle. It comes out clean, toiletstill doesn't flush right.

I assume then that my clog is farther down than that, (maybe in the
stack?).

Any thoughts?

could be the vent on the roof. i had a problem with the kitchen sink
draining slowly....tried the same things you did. turns out the roof
vent was clogged with leaves. had to run a snake through the vent and
cut a section of pipe out under the sink to get the leaves out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 6:12*pm, Don Green wrote:
My toilet/drain has a clog in it. *I can tell by the half assed way it
flushes.

I tried the usual things, like a plunger, hot water, and even a toilet
auger. *I can get the toilet auger all the way down and turn it with
the handle. *It comes out clean, toiletstill doesn't flush right.

I assume then that my clog is farther down than that, (maybe in the
stack?).

Any thoughts?

Di you use a three foot or a six foot auger?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 27, 5:47*am, bpuharic wrote:

snip

could be the vent on the roof. i had a problem with the kitchen sink
draining slowly....tried the same things you did. *turns out the roof
vent was clogged with leaves. *had to run a snake through the vent and
cut a section of pipe out under the sink to get the leaves out.

One vote here for checking the vent next. Vent blockages often happen
because connections to the stack use right angle tees which perform
poorly.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 22:50:40 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Are you on septic, or public water?

(and other questions)

Another: how old is your sewer line? Or, if you know, what material is
it constructed of? (The answers are strongly correlated.)

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
by, enough to cause a slow down.

Are other toilets and sink draining properly?

Fill a bucket with water. Flush the toilet. As soon as the bowl
empties, pour in enough for another flush, then maybe another. That
will either back it up so you can judge the distance, or purge the
solids in the line if it is a hang up of paper or a tampon, etc.

Or mess up the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine was clogging up from time to time, about every 4 months...removed it
and took it outside..YES outside in the driveway, power washed it and a good
bit of calcium shot out.
Finally after more years of problems I decided to replace it, was told the
older toilets were not finished internally, the new toilets are.
even after the new one was placed in service I had problems, after long
procedures I found clumps of calcium build up inside the 4inch cast iron
pipe thats been there for years and years.
A lot of calcium, replaced all from 2nd floor to basement, involved ripping
out 1st floor walls to gain access..not a good thought, however all works
fine now...good luck