Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best circular saw? An evaluation

By Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home..._news#fbIndex1

Everyone they tested had some good points.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
By Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home..._news#fbIndex1

Everyone they tested had some good points.

I like my Black and Decker. Must be too good to test.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 15, 9:32*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
By Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...s/11-circular-...

Everyone they tested had some good points.

They didn't test anything but sidewinders. After years of putting up
with all of the hassles of that type I got a honest to god Skill mag
77 and put the DeWalt up on the shelf. The difference is like night
and day with a worm drive saw. Bosch owns Skill now, so if you want a
different color, buy their version and for more money you get a
replaceable cord with Twistlock plugs. Either one has more power, and
cuts a much straighter line because you can actually see what the
blade is doing. Even has a hook for hanging on a rafter. Makita has a
hypoid drive to put he motor in line with the blade and their saw also
gets high praise.
The Skilsaw design has been in production for over 60 years with few
changes and the only disadvantage of note is a modestly higher
weight.
IMO, $50 more is a small price to pay for far better and easier
operation.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:32:27 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

By Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home..._news#fbIndex1

Everyone they tested had some good points.

They didn't even test a Festool. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 11:19*pm, "
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:32:27 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:
By Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...s/11-circular-...

Everyone they tested had some good points.

They didn't even test a Festool. *;-)

I switched to a makita last time because it had a cast plate instead
of stamped steel. I agree about the worm gear ones but they are just
too expensive for my taste. I have a portable stand mounted dewalt
sliding coumpound miter for big jobs. I only use the the handheld
circular for odds and ends. If I have to cut a lot of boards I get
out the compound miter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:15:28 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Nov 15, 9:32*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

What is the advantage of a worm drive over direct drive?
Worm drives do not last forever so there must be another
advantage. Is it reduced blade speed and more torque?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:52:20 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

That's why I love my Porter-Cable (corded) saw - the blade is on the
left so I can see the cut line.

My friend has a 'left handed' saw. Every time I have used it I felt
out of place, like I was in the wrong position or something. We joke
about it. He was in a hurry, needed a saw, so he bought the only one
on the shelf ( a nice Milwaukee left handed saw).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

By Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home..._news#fbIndex1

Everyone they tested had some good points.

----------

I have an older version of the 5007 Makita 15 amp. Built right here in
Canada still. I agree with the article on the handle size too small but's
quiet, quick, powerful and the shoe is easy to change and leverage are big
and quick to lock and adjust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 04:57:45 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Nov 15, 11:19*pm, "
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:32:27 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:
By Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...s/11-circular-...

Everyone they tested had some good points.

They didn't even test a Festool. *;-)

I switched to a makita last time because it had a cast plate instead
of stamped steel. I agree about the worm gear ones but they are just
too expensive for my taste. I have a portable stand mounted dewalt
sliding coumpound miter for big jobs. I only use the the handheld
circular for odds and ends. If I have to cut a lot of boards I get
out the compound miter.

I have a stable of saws, which one gets used varies by the size of the job,
the need for accuracy, and my mood. ;-) A couple of years ago bought a Dewalt
"rear pivot" circular saw (DW364). It's very nice for dimensional lumber.
OTOH, you can't beat a Festool for sheet goods.

I just replaced a HF SCMS with a Bosch. I'll probably use the HF outside when
I replace/move a fence this spring. If it gets wet, so what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
That's why I love my Porter-Cable (corded) saw - the blade is on the
left so I can see the cut line.

My friend has a 'left handed' saw. *Every time I have used it I felt
out of place, like I was in the wrong position or something. *We joke
about it. He was in a hurry, needed a saw, so he bought the only one
on the shelf ( a nice Milwaukee left handed saw).

I was helping a friend build his house. One of his other friends is a
framer by trade. It was the framer that suggested I try his left blade
saw and once I did, I never looked back. Now I feel like I'm in the
"wrong position or something" when I'm forced to use a right-blade saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For me, I like the mass of the M77 saw. It is proportioned so that your
hand is pushing at a lower level, and I have had far fewer kicks. I like it
that you can see the blade so easily. The angle adjustment has some metal
in it, and is not as flimsy as most. When you want to put a piece on your
knee and cut it, you are in the perfect position to look at the cut line,
line it up, and when you cut, you just about let the saw fall through the
wood because of its mass. Not so with smaller lighter wimpier saws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:32:08 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

For me, I like the mass of the M77 saw. It is proportioned so that your
hand is pushing at a lower level, and I have had far fewer kicks. I like it
that you can see the blade so easily. The angle adjustment has some metal
in it, and is not as flimsy as most. When you want to put a piece on your
knee and cut it, you are in the perfect position to look at the cut line,
line it up, and when you cut, you just about let the saw fall through the
wood because of its mass. Not so with smaller lighter wimpier saws.

The Skill Mag 77 is the mostly seen saw at construction sites (around
here). I've read reviews, people that used them daily for a living.
When trying to put more beans on the plate -- buy that saw.

Bench Dog 10-019 ProCut Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Guide for All 8-1/4-Inch and Smaller Circular Saws [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 01:13 PM
AR15 evaluation Karl Townsend Metalworking 84 December 1st 08 03:31 AM
Tormek evaluation goaway Woodworking 11 December 27th 07 07:56 PM
Assembly Bracket Evaluation Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 2 January 28th 05 07:12 PM
Used Case 580E evaluation Bonza Metalworking 9 July 12th 04 01:10 PM