Bonza

Default Used Case 580E evaluation

I posted this in alt.construction, but there were no replies. Please
no flames for cross-posting.

I have been casually looking for a backhoehoe to use around my place
for
maintenance, lifting machinery, loading and unloading trucks, moving
and general work. I ran across a Case 580E with some known problems
and I was wondering if I should look more at this machine or pass on
it. The price is quite attractive compared to what I have seen listed
by dealers, ebay, etc. This
580E has 4WD and extend a hoe. It is loose and all pins are worn.
Tach says 3400 hrs but ? I ran the machine for a couple of hours
tonight. All hydraulics work, hoses are good and I saw no leaks.
Engine started right up, no smoke or unususl noise. Front Bucket worn
but servicable, rear hoe missing a tooth. No brakes on right side,
weak brakes on left. No parking brake. Shuttle shift seems to slip.
Blower and heater needs repair as the switched are broken. One window
out, another one needs new gaskets. Overall the cab is poor to rough
shape. I will probably only use this 50 hours per year, so I would
rather keep my investment to a minimum.

Should I run away from this one? The guy selling is hesitant to sell
to a friend, but at the asking price ($5000) there is room for repairs

Thanks for the info

Bob
ATP

Bonza wrote:
[...]

I would consider it. Loose machines are still functional, you just have to
avoid quick, jarring changes in direction. Be prepared to put some time and
TLC into it, for $5,000 it should make a good "yard machine".

Anthony

(Bonza) wrote in
om:

[...]

I would be wary if the shuttle shift slips. That can get expensive in a
hurry.

Last I worked on a backhoe (early 90's), pins were ~$60 each for the
pivot points of the hoe. If the holes are worn, your looking a quite a
bit more money or time, to fix. Brakes...you need those....the rest is
minor stuff.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Lucky Strike

Does the engine burn oil?

How badly do the hydraulics creep under load?

Any significant hydraulic leaks?

$5K might not be bad as you are only putting a few hours every year.

I'd be concerned about the shuttle shift as those repairs can get expensive.

"Bonza" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Al 2

(Bonza) wrote in message . com...
[...]

You will find a lot more information and help at "Yesterday's Tractors
"site or go directly to
http://www.ytmag.com/case/wwwboard1.html
Al

Bonza

Thank you all for your posts. Here is what I know right now about it:

Does the engine burn oil?

I'd say no. If it does it is not noticable

How badly do the hydraulics creep under load?

No creep observed, even in the stabilizer cylinders or bucket cyl's

Any significant hydraulic leaks?

no

$5K might not be bad as you are only putting a few hours every year.

I'd be concerned about the shuttle shift as those repairs can get expensive.

Me too. I was quoted 3K on that alone. Pins I can work on over time.
Brakes are a must do.

Last night the starter wouldn't work. It is stuck in my driveway
right now, click, click, click, nothing. Going to chase grounds
tonight.

Bob

RoyJ

snip

Last night the starter wouldn't work. It is stuck in my driveway
right now, click, click, click, nothing. Going to chase grounds
tonight.

sounds like the price just went down!

Bob

Bonza

Fortunatly all I had to do was clean and tighten the battery
connections. Worked OK after that. The tach and hour meter is
working 3890 hrs.

I could not get the differential locl to work either

Bob
Lucky Strike

I'd be a little more than worried about the diff. lock. Not fun.

Hey, I have a set of Case manuals for the 580D and no more back hoe. Are
you interested? Make an offer.

"Bonza" wrote in message
m...
Fortunatly all I had to do was clean and tighten the battery
connections. Worked OK after that. The tach and hour meter is
working 3890 hrs.

I could not get the differential locl to work either

Bob

In case anyone needs: Lennie the Lurker Metalworking 2 May 23rd 04 04:31 AM
HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 02:59 PM
Case of the unknown circuit David Hearn UK diy 4 November 10th 03 04:12 PM