Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bonza

Default Used Case 580E evaluation

I posted this in alt.construction, but there were no replies. Please
no flames for cross-posting.

I have been casually looking for a backhoehoe to use around my place
for
maintenance, lifting machinery, loading and unloading trucks, moving
and general work. I ran across a Case 580E with some known problems
and I was wondering if I should look more at this machine or pass on
it. The price is quite attractive compared to what I have seen listed
by dealers, ebay, etc. This
580E has 4WD and extend a hoe. It is loose and all pins are worn.
Tach says 3400 hrs but ? I ran the machine for a couple of hours
tonight. All hydraulics work, hoses are good and I saw no leaks.
Engine started right up, no smoke or unususl noise. Front Bucket worn
but servicable, rear hoe missing a tooth. No brakes on right side,
weak brakes on left. No parking brake. Shuttle shift seems to slip.
Blower and heater needs repair as the switched are broken. One window
out, another one needs new gaskets. Overall the cab is poor to rough
shape. I will probably only use this 50 hours per year, so I would
rather keep my investment to a minimum.

Should I run away from this one? The guy selling is hesitant to sell
to a friend, but at the asking price ($5000) there is room for repairs

Thanks for the info

Bob

In case anyone needs: Lennie the Lurker Metalworking 2 May 23rd 04 04:31 AM
HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 02:59 PM
Case of the unknown circuit David Hearn UK diy 4 November 10th 03 04:12 PM