Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat setting in hallway vs actual temperature in apartment

Just curious if anyone runs into this problem with common area
thermostats.

In an apartment bldg, if the T-stat is set at 70, and if the tenants
still complain its too cold, could it be the location of the T-stat
not calling for heat?

Reason I ask is that the T-stat in my Apt bldg is in a common hallway
on the 2nd floor, up high on the wall in a tamper-proof box. And on a
cold night I was down there, the actual temp in the hallway says 70
on the T-stat (T-stat does not call for heat until it drops below
70), but in the apt itself it feels colder, maybe 65. I feel as if
maybe where the T-stat is its warmer. So to compensate for this, I
raised it to 72. So far I have not heard complaints. But is this
usually a problem where T-stats are mounted in common areas, and you
have to try and find that "sweet spot?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Just curious if anyone runs into this problem with common area
thermostats.

In an apartment bldg, if the T-stat is set at 70, and if the tenants
still complain its too cold, could it be the location of the T-stat
not calling for heat?

Reason I ask is that the T-stat in my Apt bldg is in a common hallway
on the 2nd floor, up high on the wall in a tamper-proof box. And on a
cold night I was down there, the actual temp in the hallway says 70
on the T-stat (T-stat does not call for heat until it drops below
70), but in the apt itself it feels colder, maybe 65. I feel as if
maybe where the T-stat is its warmer. So to compensate for this, I
raised it to 72. So far I have not heard complaints. But is this
usually a problem where T-stats are mounted in common areas, and you
have to try and find that "sweet spot?"

It will be next to impossible to have even heat in the whole building using
one thermostat regardless of it's location. Currently when it's set for 70,
your apt is 65, so if you want your apt to be 70, you'll have to raise the
stat, and the temp in the hall to 75.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:52*pm, Mikepier wrote:
Just curious if anyone runs into this problem with common area
thermostats.

In an apartment bldg, if the T-stat is set at *70, and if the tenants
still complain its too cold, could it be the location of the T-stat
not calling for heat?

Reason I ask is that the T-stat in my Apt bldg is in a common hallway
on the 2nd floor, up high on the wall in a tamper-proof box. And on a
cold night I was down there, the actual temp in the hallway says *70
on the T-stat (T-stat *does not call for heat until it drops below
70), but in the apt itself it feels colder, maybe 65. I feel as if
maybe where the T-stat is its warmer. So to compensate for this, I
raised it to 72. So far I have not heard complaints. But is this
usually a problem where T-stats are mounted in common areas, and you
have to try and find that "sweet spot?"

What sort of heating do you have?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Just curious if anyone runs into this problem with common area
thermostats.

In an apartment bldg, if the T-stat is set at 70, and if the tenants
still complain its too cold, could it be the location of the T-stat
not calling for heat?

Yes, very likely.

Reason I ask is that the T-stat in my Apt bldg is in a common hallway
on the 2nd floor, up high on the wall in a tamper-proof box.

How high on the wall? That can bring the temperature up as the hot air
rises. Where is the closest radiator to the T-stat?

Have you put thermometers in the apartments to see what the actual
temperature is? Also, remember that the apartments have a high heat loss
through outside walls and windows while the common area is well insulated by
those heated apartments. You may have to set it higher to get the
apartments at proper temperature. During the day, the apartments getting
sun will be warmer also.

Tell each tenant they have to open the interior doors and run a fan to
circulate the air and then things will even out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 11:01*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Have you put thermometers in the apartments to see what the actual
temperature is? * Also, remember that the apartments have a high heat loss
through outside walls and windows while the common area is well insulated by
those heated apartments. *You may have to set it higher to get the
apartments at proper temperature. * During the day, the apartments getting
sun will be warmer also.

Tell *each tenant they have to open the interior doors and run a fan to
circulate the air and then things will even out.

Are you serious with that suggestion, Ed? Besides the questions of
privacy, noise, and odors there's also security. I don't know anyone
that would welcome such a request. It's the landlord's responsibility
to provide heat to an apartment, not the tenant's to have to go and
get it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote
Tell each tenant they have to open the interior doors and run a fan to
circulate the air and then things will even out.

Are you serious with that suggestion, Ed? Besides the questions of
privacy, noise, and odors there's also security. I don't know anyone
that would welcome such a request. It's the landlord's responsibility
to provide heat to an apartment, not the tenant's to have to go and
get it.

Didn't think I'd need the smiley face.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 10:05*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote

Tell *each tenant they have to open the interior doors and run a fan to
circulate the air and then things will even out.

Are you serious with that suggestion, Ed? *Besides the questions of
privacy, noise, and odors there's also security. *I don't know anyone
that would welcome such a request. *It's the landlord's responsibility
to provide heat to an apartment, not the tenant's to have to go and
get it.

Didn't think I'd need the smiley face.

We need a sarcasm one

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 8:23*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 13, 11:01*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Have you put thermometers in the apartments to see what the actual
temperature is? * Also, remember that the apartments have a high heat loss
through outside walls and windows while the common area is well insulated by
those heated apartments. *You may have to set it higher to get the
apartments at proper temperature. * During the day, the apartments getting
sun will be warmer also.

Tell *each tenant they have to open the interior doors and run a fan to
circulate the air and then things will even out.

Are you serious with that suggestion, Ed? *Besides the questions of
privacy, noise, and odors there's also security. *I don't know anyone
that would welcome such a request. *It's the landlord's responsibility
to provide heat to an apartment, not the tenant's to have to go and
get it.

Reading this thread makes me glad I own my house. I have enough
arguments with my wife about how warm it is were in here without
having to fight about it with an apartment sup as well .

Harry K