Posted to alt.home.repair

Default REGISTRY CLEANER

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:51:01 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system
run faster.

On the other hand, it is proven that you can totally FUBAR a system by
running useless system "tools" like a registry cleaner.

Cleaning out cookies, browser add-ons, adware, and defragging a HDD are
about the only preventive mainenance a PC requires, and will solve 95% of
slow computer related problems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system
run faster.

On the other hand, it is proven that you can totally FUBAR a system by
running useless system "tools" like a registry cleaner.

Cleaning out cookies, browser add-ons, adware, and defragging a HDD are
about the only preventive mainenance a PC requires, and will solve 95% of
slow computer related problems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Add in disabling unnecessary services and I'll agree with you. If
someone's running Vista, Vista Services Optimizer works well. It
tells you what all of the arcane services are, and makes
recommendations based on your intended use. Preston Gralla
recommended it, it's easy to use, reversible and it's freeware.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system
run faster.

On the other hand, it is proven that you can totally FUBAR a system by
running useless system "tools" like a registry cleaner.

Cleaning out cookies, browser add-ons, adware, and defragging a HDD are
about the only preventive mainenance a PC requires, and will solve 95% of
slow computer related problems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jon

Folks here should check their port security.

At this site, visit the Hot Spots. Click

[,,,] "ShieldsUP! 87,715,939 system tests
The Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable and trusted, free
Internet security checkup and information service. And now in its Port
Authority Edition, it's also the most powerful and complete. Check
your system here, and begin learning about using the Internet safely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Forgot to paste the link:

https://www.grc.com/default.htm

[...]

"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single
packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a
result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused
to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint
of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on
the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their
users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing
themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very
nice."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:42:39 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Here is some great information on services.

www.BlackViper.com: Home Page

Popular Content
Windows Services ~ Includes complete explanations of each service and
advice on which services you can safely disable.

http://www.blackviper.com/

I trust this information from this kid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 11:59*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:42:39 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Looks like a good site to know about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Mr. Gibson is a con man...you can use it as a reference...but that's
about it.
It's funny, this guy (OP) writes 3 ridiculous pages and you respond to
my post. If someone "wants" a registry cleaner the 2 I mentioned
Have .1% chance of causing a problem with the default settings.
As for stopping "Services" I will agree with you, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2010 9:26 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
Mr. Gibson is a con man...you can use it as a reference...but that's
about it.
It's funny, this guy (OP) writes 3 ridiculous pages and you respond to
my post. If someone "wants" a registry cleaner the 2 I mentioned
Have .1% chance of causing a problem with the default settings.
As for stopping "Services" I will agree with you, of course.

I didn't bother to even look at his stuff. I seldom respond to the
first post on the off chance there's some crap involved. Let somebody
else take the chance opening it or going there first.

But in his case, I have no interest in a registry cleaner as I have no
registry problems at the moment. I merely pointed out why somebody
might have a legitimate need or use for one.

I'll take your word for it that the OP is a con man. Certainly he's a
spammer if nothing else.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system
run faster.

Comodo System Cleaner seems to work pretty good. My laptop was crashing
daily and after I ran Comodo it's been working much better. I did do a
defrag at the same time though,

It's free too.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system
run faster.

Obviously you've never heard of the Placebo Effect.

Microsoft offers a Registry Cleaner for free.

As best we can tell, it does absolutely nothing. But users report they feel
better after applying it.

And their fulminating, fungating, pustules dried up and disappeared.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren typed:
wrote:

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes
a system run faster.

Wrong. Not only that but there are millions of satisfied users and techs who
have used them very successfully. The phrase "cleaning" the registry is
silly because the good ones do a LOT of tests and repairs where needed, all
perfectly safe with no more danger than installing any other program that
makes modifications to the registry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system
run faster.

Obviously you've never heard of the Placebo Effect.

Microsoft offers a Registry Cleaner for free.

As best we can tell, it does absolutely nothing. But users report they feel
better after applying it.

And their fulminating, fungating, pustules dried up and disappeared.

Stick to home repair advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You must be insane!
Use CCleaner or Jv16

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system
run faster.

Obviously you've never heard of the Placebo Effect.

Microsoft offers a Registry Cleaner for free.

As best we can tell, it does absolutely nothing. But users report they feel
better after applying it.

And their fulminating, fungating, pustules dried up and disappeared.

Registry cleaners remind me of a loose crescent wrench.
Don't know if it will bust a knuckle and don't know how much it
tightened the nut.
If you want a clean system, get an imager. Ghost, Acronis, etc.
Takes care of EVERYTHING if used right.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 06:26:43 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

Mr. Gibson is a con man...you can use it as a reference...but that's
about it.

Enlighten us, please. Were you conned or something? I've used his port
testing site for year and years. (grc.com)

It's funny, this guy (OP) writes 3 ridiculous pages and you respond to
my post.

I missed the original posting I presume. Or the Internet burped. Not
sure but I did miss the pages you speak about.

If someone "wants" a registry cleaner the 2 I mentioned
Have .1% chance of causing a problem with the default settings.
As for stopping "Services" I will agree with you, of course.

Build it they will come.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system
run faster.

Obviously you've never heard of the Placebo Effect.

Sure I have. Ain't that when they pull the wool over your eyes?

Microsoft offers a Registry Cleaner for free.

And dam fine registry editors.

As best we can tell, it does absolutely nothing. But users report they feel
better after applying it.

Good. I'm glad they feel glad.

And their fulminating, fungating, pustules dried up and disappeared.

Slight of hand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Mr. Gibson is a con man...you can use it as a reference...but that's
about it.

Enlighten us, please. Were you conned or something? I've used his port
testing site for year and years. (grc.com)

It's funny, this guy (OP) writes 3 ridiculous pages and you respond to
my post.

I missed the original posting I presume. *Or the Internet burped. Not
sure but I did miss the pages you speak about.

*If someone "wants" a registry cleaner the 2 I mentioned
Have .1% chance of causing a problem with the default settings.
As for stopping "Services" I will agree with you, of course.

Build it they will come.

Gibson designs his software in a more benign way than the people who
designed the malware that wants you to purchase their software after
they have infected your PC with it.
After using CCleaner for many years now...and having it "fix" the
registry. It has not messed up mine nor any other PCs I have worked on.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

wrote:
[...]

==
I don't "push" any registry cleaner but I have used these so-called
cleaners for nearly thirty years. The only one I had problems with was
the old cleaner that Microsoft provided way back in Windows 98 days.
They didn't recommend it but made it available for those who wanted to
experiment. I re-installed Win 98 a number of times after screw-ups
but that was no big deal. CCleaner is fairly innocuous but the
registry cleaner part should be used with discretion...I'm pretty
careful about deleting what it wants to delete.

==
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thirty years? What "registries" were there in 1980 that needed cleaning?
Bridal?

The only one I had problems with was
the old cleaner that Microsoft provided way back in Windows 98 days.
They didn't recommend it but made it available for those who wanted to
experiment. I re-installed Win 98 a number of times after screw-ups
but that was no big deal. CCleaner is fairly innocuous but the
registry cleaner part should be used with discretion...I'm pretty
careful about deleting what it wants to delete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

Obviously you've never heard of the Placebo Effect.

Microsoft offers a Registry Cleaner for free.

As best we can tell, it does absolutely nothing. But users report
they feel better after applying it.

And their fulminating, fungating, pustules dried up and disappeared.

Stick to home repair advice.

I try, even though I own a small software company.

For example, in the post you referenced, I offered no advice at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

wrote:
[...]

Would you believe that they had utility programs for the Commodore 64
where you could examine your disk drive and alter the bits and bytes
therein? We used to use them to "crack" game programs.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, now I have a computer question:

I was recently told by a customer service rep that no virus can ever
be removed, that if you get a virus, the hard drive needs to be erased
and reformatted. Not the kind of advice I was looking to get.

I used to go to a website (SpywareInfo.org) where one could ask
questions, upload a log of his computer's registry, etc. (Hijack This!
logs, for example) and have someone look into the log, tell him what
registry changes to make, and remove bugs, viruses, and such. The
page is no longer active, but I long for such a place. Anyone know
where I can find one again?

I am having a few problems, and I would like to be able to fix them
without hauling my computer off to someone who will charge an arm and
a leg to tell me the problem can't be fixed. I am capable of
following step-by-step instructions, which is what one used to get at
SpywareInfo.org. I am, however, somewhat computer illiterate, so I
need the walk-you-through-it kind of help they provided.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/ma...gewanted=print

The Great Cyberheist

By JAMES VERINI

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

My question was prove Gibson is a "con man". Don't avoid this but
give us an answer.

Over a decade, plus, his site has never caused harm here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:53:21 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Virtually all virus infections can be cured, and the virus removed,
with the right program and sometimes other manual steps.(without
reformatting the drive and re-installing windows).

Sometimes it can be extremely difficult, and more expensive than
trashing your computer and buying a new one - but the data is
generally worth more than the computer, and the time required to
re-install some complex setups can also be worth a lot more than a new
computer.

I very rarely resort to re-installation unless there is nothing of
value on the computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Mr. Gibson is a con man...you can use it as a reference...but that's
about it.

Enlighten us, please. Were you conned or something? I've used his port
testing site for year and years. (grc.com)

It's funny, this guy (OP) writes 3 ridiculous pages and you respond to
my post.

I missed the original posting I presume. Â*Or the Internet burped. Not
sure but I did miss the pages you speak about.

Â*If someone "wants" a registry cleaner the 2 I mentioned
Have .1% chance of causing a problem with the default settings.
As for stopping "Services" I will agree with you, of course.

Build it they will come.

Gibson designs his software in a more benign way than the people who
designed the malware that wants you to purchase their software after
they have infected your PC with it.

After using CCleaner for many years now...and having it "fix" the
registry. It has not messed up mine nor any other PCs I have worked on.

My question was prove Gibson is a "con man". Don't avoid this but
give us an answer.

Over a decade, plus, his site has never caused harm here.

Gibson has provided some extremely valuable tools to the computer
world over the years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:04:48 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes
a system run faster.

Wrong. Not only that but there are millions of satisfied users and techs who
have used them very successfully.

Like I said no proven facts.

I'm wrong? Maybe your cite of millions can correct me.( Which way did
they post? Which way did he go? Which way did he go? ) How fast did
it go?

Millions stand in line every day -- it won't mean they are correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Nov 2010, " wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I was recently told by a customer service rep that no virus can
ever be removed, that if you get a virus, the hard drive needs to
be erased and reformatted. Not the kind of advice I was looking
to get.

No, that's not true, but depending on what you've been infected with,
it may be more time and trouble than this "customer service rep" thinks
it's worth to completely clean it out. And the virus/malware might
break or corrupt things while it's living there such that things might
not work quite right even after it's been eliminated. The process of
leaning it out can also break things.

I've only been infected with a virus a couple of times, though not for
years, because I know what to do and not to do. But I've cleaned
infected systems for many other people, and it can be a long and
tedious process. Sometimes it's a better use of everybody's time (and
money, if I'm not doing it gratis) to just re-format the disk and re-
install everything.

I am having a few problems, and I would like to be able to fix
them without hauling my computer off to someone who will charge an
arm and a leg to tell me the problem can't be fixed. I am capable
of following step-by-step instructions, which is what one used to
get at SpywareInfo.org. I am, however, somewhat computer
illiterate, so I need the walk-you-through-it kind of help they
provided.

Be prepared for hours or days of frustration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I NEVER said his site caused any harm...only that "I" see him as a con-
artist!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 10:53*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Try he http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

=

Believe that was called RegClean.exe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hysterical ramblings, politics and drivel snipped .........

I use a free Eusing registry cleaner. All I know is that when my computer
starts stumbling, I do an internet options - delete browsing record, and a
Eusing registry cleaner, and it pops right back. I use free Comodo virus
program, and a Adaware malware program.

But then, I've read here from obviously intelligent people that it doesn't
work.

But then, it's my computer, so I'll do what I please, thank you very much.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:19:10 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:

wrote:
[...]

A disk editor is hardly a "registry cleaner".
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

wrote:
[...]

When I started in with DOS based IBM's and their clones we used
"registry cleaners" although they were not always named as such.
Actually, registries NEVER needed cleaning...just a bit of tweaking.
Errors do occur which need remedying. So we had to "manipulate" things
a bit. I don't pretend to be an expert, just a user who learned some
things well but alas have no formal training. I was too old when I
started with computers but nothing ventured...nothing gained.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 7:26*pm, Roy wrote:
On Nov 15, 6:00*pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Why would "command line" DOS need "registry cleaners"? Windows have a
registry, all flavors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:26:13 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:

wrote:
[...]

They never needed cleaning because THEY DIDN'T EXIST.

Errors do occur which need remedying. So we had to "manipulate" things
a bit. I don't pretend to be an expert, just a user who learned some
things well but alas have no formal training. I was too old when I
started with computers but nothing ventured...nothing gained.

Obviously nothing learned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:26:13 -0800 (PST), Roy
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Computers are like women. Miss a programming period and they go
haywire on you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:00:35 -0600, "
wrote:

Would you believe that they had utility programs for the Commodore 64
where you could examine your disk drive and alter the bits and bytes
therein? We used to use them to "crack" game programs.

A disk editor is hardly a "registry cleaner".

Why use a disk editor when a file editor will work?

(The poster is talking about Microsoft DOS edlin command...)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:51:34 -0600, "
wrote:

When I started in with DOS based IBM's and their clones we used
"registry cleaners" although they were not always named as such.
Actually, registries NEVER needed cleaning...just a bit of tweaking.

They never needed cleaning because THEY DIDN'T EXIST.

Some IBM clones did not have a HDD to store these monster sized
registries. Might be the poster is talking about a 15 page batch file.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I started in with DOS based IBM's and their clones we used
"registry cleaners" although they were not always named as such.
Actually, registries NEVER needed cleaning...just a bit of tweaking.

They never needed cleaning because THEY DIDN'T EXIST.

Some IBM clones did not have a HDD to store these monster sized
registries. Might be the poster is talking about a 15 page batch file.

Getting the autoexec.bat and config.sys tuned right was something of
an art back in the day.