Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question: Registry Edit Programs

Hi Everyone,
I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't think
that you would mind.
Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?
I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know what
you are doing.
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any
further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash
the cash or not.
Many thanks
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,
I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't
think that you would mind.
Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?
I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know
what you are doing.
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any
further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash
the cash or not.
Many thanks
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Is there really an third-party application called regedit? (Regedit is the
built-in
Windows registry editor).

You might like to try http://safety.live.com/ which redirects
to a microsoft site and you will find some tools there.
You trust Microsoft not to screw up your computer don't you?
You don't mind Microsoft rummaging through your files???
'corse not.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:34:21 +0100, "the_constructor"
mused:

Hi Everyone,
I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't think
that you would mind.
Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?
I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know what
you are doing.
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any
further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash
the cash or not.

Well, really you should do something with it as Windows is hopeless at
looking after the registry, it just lets it fall to pieces in any old
fashion.

But, some of theses 'registry cleaners' are absolute crap and are best
left well alone as they are nothign more than a con. I'd be interested
in finding out what does what these days, I've not cleaned a registry
for years!
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:50:47 +0100, "Graham." mused:

[...]

They ****ed it up in the forst place, they should exactly what goes
wrong!
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?

Don't splash cash when there are many tried and tested free variants
that do the same job. One thing you may find is that Windows will re-
introduce certain keys next time you reboot anyway, so you may find
the same ones cropping up time and time again regardless)

One i've found absolutely bulletproof is the one that comes with Crap
Cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) - it's not very vicious in
operation, but it's all the safer for it.

Crap Cleaner in itself is worth paying for, but it's actually free !

Also try Regseeker - again, had no problems with it, and it's possibly
a little more thorough in it's cleaning.

Once you've done that, consider using:

NTregopt from he http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt
(which will compact the registry)

JKDefrag from he http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/
(a very nice and thorough defrag program)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 00:36:30 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk said:

[...]

... or buy a Mac ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

But, some of theses 'registry cleaners' are absolute crap and are best
left well alone as they are nothign more than a con.

Yup, always worth looking for any new program you feel like trying here
first:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...e.htm#products

before trying it. As you can see there are a vast number of rouge
programs out there.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi Everyone,
I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't think
that you would mind.
Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?
I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know what
you are doing.
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any
further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash
the cash or not.
Many thanks

If the machine boots up there are no errors in the Registry. What
these so called cleaners call 'errors' is what they determine are
redundant entries. Removing what the 'cleaner program' call errors
will do absolutely nothing other than reduce the size of the Registry
by a few kbs that will have no bearing on performance as these
programs often claim.

If you have a Registry problem, that is a message that occurs alerting
you to something then deal specifically with that problem, a Registry
Cleaner will not do that.

Beware a 'Registry Cleaner' may cause a problem with an installed
program. This is because some program require empty Registry entries
that the 'Cleaner' may interpret as redundant and safe to remove.
While this may not be a 'disaster' depending upon your level of
competence to reinstall the program or reverse the deletion process,
it is an annoyance.

With regard to your question Regedit is the WINXP registry editor
whereas the other program (Regcure) is a so called Registry Cleaner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Colin
Wilson o.uk wrote
[...]

Consider also Easycleaner from Toniarts (free)
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

It produces an undo file.

I've been using this program through 3 versions of Windows over many
years with no problems.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

Hi Everyone,
I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't think
that you would mind.
Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?
I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know what
you are doing.
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any
further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash
the cash or not.
Many thanks

I cant think of any app that needs to be paid for these days. The
range and quality of freeware out there is massive.

Last time I played with a reg cleaner it said it removed a few
entries, but Total Uninstall showed it also added around 100 reg
entries!! IOW it was counterproductive.

Best way to keep a registry healthy is not to install crap in the
first place, and use Total Uninstall 2.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Consider also Easycleaner from Toniarts (free)
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
It produces an undo file.
I've been using this program through 3 versions of Windows over many
years with no problems.

EasyCleaner used to be free, but the last time I looked it had turned
commercial (you needed to pay a one-off fee, but could then download
anything from the site).

It _was_ a good program, but I found some parts were not 100% stable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Colin
Wilson o.uk wrote
Consider also Easycleaner from Toniarts (free)
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
It produces an undo file.
I've been using this program through 3 versions of Windows over many
years with no problems.

EasyCleaner used to be free, but the last time I looked it had turned
commercial (you needed to pay a one-off fee, but could then download
anything from the site).

It _was_ a good program, but I found some parts were not 100% stable.

The site still says that the Easyclean licence is freeware

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/products.htm
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:08:34 +0100, Owain
mused:

Lurch wrote:
I cant think of any app that needs to be paid for these days.

In that case, point me towards a fax server for a small network so
users can send and receive faxes over IP to\from a server on the
network with an analogue modem in it.
Buggered if I can find one.

Hylafax

and winprinthylafax or others if you want to use windows clients

Typical, didn;t find that one during extensive Googling and now 2 turn
up! The name rings a bell, that's probably what I was looking for
originally but didn't actually know.

Just installed ActFax with a licence I acquired, might just keep that
for now and stick Hylafax on instead when I reinstall the server
sometime over the next few weeks.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It _was_ a good program, but I found some parts were not 100% stable.
The site still says that the Easyclean licence is freeware
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/products.htm

I noticed - he must have changed the policy back again.

Either way, it can't have had too many updates, as it was on v2 when I
*stopped* using it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Colin
Wilson o.uk wrote
It _was_ a good program, but I found some parts were not 100% stable.

The site still says that the Easyclean licence is freeware
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/products.htm

I noticed - he must have changed the policy back again.

Either way, it can't have had too many updates, as it was on v2 when I
*stopped* using it.

The main program hasn't been updated because it works Actually,
rather than updating the whole program there is now a blacklist database
(a small text file) which contains configuration and/or patches which is
updated.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't think
that you would mind.
Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?
I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know what
you are doing.
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any
further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash
the cash or not.
Many thanks

I have discovered the delights of "tun-up
http://www.tune-up.com/

Cracking utilitiy and fully functonal for 30 days whicgis u more than
enough time o evalua ad gi our P a joly god scrub-up.

Bugger.
Wireless Keyboard needs new batts.

Anyway, I's a highly recommended bit of software, and no spyware as it's
only a 30 day trial. I'll be forking out the £20 for 2 copies when the
trial ends.

Pete
--
http://www.bbe-boxing-equipment.co.uk
Boxing Equipment, Punch Bags, Boxing gloves etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't think
that you would mind.
Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?
I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know what
you are doing.
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any
further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash
the cash or not.
Many thanks

Would you employ a damp remedial agent who had told you that there were
842 damp problems in your house?

Reinstall windoesn't

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 00:36:30 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk said:

[...]

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I cant think of any app that needs to be paid for these days.
You obviously DID NOT buy a Mac then ;-)

You haven't found many torrent sites then, I see :-p
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Andy Hall wrote:

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.

What more do you need? Even an 11 year old (in Jurassic Park) "knows"
it - even under stress - although that was SGI.

Natively, it has all that I need - Apple Mail actually works properly
with IMAP (Outlook, well....), and I have a choice of News readers
(very important) and even MS Orifice if I want to kill people with
Powerpoint (which is rare).

So the bread and butter stuff is handled.

Then if I have to run any legacy applications, I can run either
Parallels or VMWare to provide a virtual PC. This has considerable
advantages. With the Windows monitor (It isn't an operating system),
I can arrange a complete virtual machine with all updates applied and
keep a copy of it as an image. When it breaks (with the same
inevitability as Peter Parry's Saniflo), I can just dump the offending
copy and be back in operation in a couple of minutes.

Alternatively, I can have whichever flavour of Linux I like at the
flick of an image.

On the Intel platform, this all runs very well

The market thinks so as well.

I'm really glad that I bought and sold VMWare stock - more than 75%
gain in a few days :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-28 00:14:50 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk said:

I cant think of any app that needs to be paid for these days.

You obviously DID NOT buy a Mac then ;-)

You haven't found many torrent sites then, I see :-p

Indeed.

There's bucket loads of stuff for OS/X and generally good quality as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 23:22:30 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

the_constructor wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't
think that you would mind.
Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ?
Are they ok to use ?
I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know
what you are doing.
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go
any further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should
splash the cash or not.
Many thanks

Would you employ a damp remedial agent who had told you that there were
842 damp problems in your house?

Reinstall windoesn't

There you are you see. Should have bought a Mac.

You know it's the way forward.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Do you ever stop bragging? We're all aware of your possessions and
achievements. Just give it a rest please
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Andy Hall wrote:

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.

Technically, it's not, of course. Neither is FreeBSD.

I'd rather run real FreeBSD; a lot cheaper, and I don't have to get
involved with Apple.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Andy Hall wrote:

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.

You're showing signs of lack of observation, again.

The header of TNP's post shows "Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (Macintosh/
20070728)"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Andy Hall wrote:

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.

I know. I am posting on one as I write.

What more do you need?

Application software beyond graphics design would be a start.

Ability to run my scanner and polotter would be an added bounus. This
one can't do either.

an 11 year old (in Jurassic Park) "knows"
it - even under stress - although that was SGI.

? so waht ?

Natively, it has all that I need - Apple Mail actually works properly
with IMAP (Outlook, well....), and I have a choice of News readers (very
important) and even MS Orifice if I want to kill people with Powerpoint
(which is rare).

Exactly, if thats *all* you need its a nice, if overpriced toy.

So the bread and butter stuff is handled.

Man does not live by bread alone...

Then if I have to run any legacy applications, I can run either
Parallels or VMWare to provide a virtual PC.

Not on a G4 you can't.

This has considerable
advantages. With the Windows monitor (It isn't an operating system), I
can arrange a complete virtual machine with all updates applied and keep
a copy of it as an image. When it breaks (with the same inevitability
as Peter Parry's Saniflo), I can just dump the offending copy and be
back in operation in a couple of minutes.

Alternatively, I can have whichever flavour of Linux I like at the flick
of an image.

On the Intel platform, this all runs very well

This isn't an intel platform

The market thinks so as well.

No, it doesn't.

I'm really glad that I bought and sold VMWare stock - more than 75% gain
in a few days :-)

So you can run windows on a mac. Why not just run windows?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Andy Hall wrote:
.. or buy a Mac ;-)
And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.

Technically, it's not, of course. Neither is FreeBSD.

I'd rather run real FreeBSD; a lot cheaper, and I don't have to get
involved with Apple.

The aqua interface is the best part of the mac.

Thats not free.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-28 00:14:50 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk said:

I cant think of any app that needs to be paid for these days.
You obviously DID NOT buy a Mac then ;-)

You haven't found many torrent sites then, I see :-p

Indeed.

There's bucket loads of stuff for OS/X and generally good quality as well.

Sadly none of it did what I wanted..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go
any further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should
splash the cash or not.

Would you employ a damp remedial agent who had told you that there were
842 damp problems in your house?

I've often wondered whether my defragmenter actually *does* anything, or
just draws prettier pictures the less frequently I run it.

Owain

Defraggers are for testing hardware. If you have any bad RAM a defrag
should screw the fs up royally. That MS defrag doesnt check RAM first
is typical of MS.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go
any further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I
should splash the cash or not.

Would you employ a damp remedial agent who had told you that there
were 842 damp problems in your house?

I've often wondered whether my defragmenter actually *does* anything, or
just draws prettier pictures the less frequently I run it.

Owain

Oh it probably does defrag, but so what? with enough disk cache ram, it
gets less and less relevant,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Andy Hall wrote:
.. or buy a Mac ;-)
And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..
Listen. It runs Unix.

Technically, it's not, of course. Neither is FreeBSD.

I'd rather run real FreeBSD; a lot cheaper, and I don't have to get
involved with Apple.

The aqua interface is the best part of the mac.

Thats not free.

True...but then I spend a lot of my time using the command line! Started
off on UNIX and UNIX-like systems long before GUIs...
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in
:

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable
computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.

Technically, it's not, of course. Neither is FreeBSD.

Well, it is. Or more accurately, will be - as and when you get 10.5
(aka Leopard). See:
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3555.htm

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:04:19 UTC, Richard Perkin
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in
:

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable
computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.

Technically, it's not, of course. Neither is FreeBSD.

Well, it is. Or more accurately, will be - as and when you get 10.5
(aka Leopard). See:
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3555.htm

Will be, I know. But not actually yet. Hence my statement.

http://www.diybanter.com