Posted to alt.home.repair

Default REGISTRY CLEANER

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:19:10 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:

On Nov 14, 9:01*pm, "
wrote:
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:51:02 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:
On Nov 14, 7:11*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
On Nov 14, 5:22*pm, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 06:26:43 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

wrote:
Mr. Gibson is a con man...you can use it as a reference...but that's
about it.

Enlighten us, please. Were you conned or something? I've used his port
testing site for year and years. (grc.com)

It's funny, this guy (OP) writes 3 ridiculous pages and you respond to
my post.

I missed the original posting I presume. *Or the Internet burped. Not
sure but I did miss the pages you speak about.

*If someone "wants" a registry cleaner the 2 I mentioned
Have .1% chance of causing a problem with the default settings.
As for stopping "Services" I will agree with you, of course.

Build it they will come.

Gibson designs his software in a more benign way than the people who
designed the malware that wants you to purchase their software after
they have infected your PC with it.
After using CCleaner for many years now...and having it "fix" the
registry. It has not messed up mine nor any other PCs I have worked on.

==
I don't "push" any registry cleaner but I have used these so-called
cleaners for nearly thirty years.

Thirty years? *What "registries" were there in 1980 that needed cleaning?
Bridal?

The only one I had problems with was
the old cleaner that Microsoft provided way back in Windows 98 days.
They didn't recommend it but made it available for those who wanted to
experiment. I re-installed Win 98 a number of times after screw-ups
but that was no big deal. CCleaner is fairly innocuous but the
registry cleaner part should be used with discretion...I'm pretty
careful about deleting what it wants to delete.

==
Would you believe that they had utility programs for the Commodore 64
where you could examine your disk drive and alter the bits and bytes
therein? We used to use them to "crack" game programs.

A disk editor is hardly a "registry cleaner".