Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this Benchgrinder ready for the trash??

I inherited a rough looking old bench grinder.
I put a plug on it and the thing wouldn't turn on.
As I said it was pretty old and also kind of rusty.
I figured I'd look inside before doing anything else.
When I opened it up I noticed about half a dozen of the copper
windings had burned through. IIRC, the winding is suppose to be a
single strand of wire in order to make an electromagnetic field. And
if this is the case, I should just junk the grinder right?
I has been to long since I've messed with electric motors and i can't
remember.
It would also be impossible to match and soldier the burnt wires.

So, trash it or try something else? I know they are not that
expensive new, but it is still hard to beat free.

Thanks

Ron
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 9, 9:51*am, Ron Cliborn wrote:
I inherited a rough looking old bench grinder.
I put a plug on it and the thing wouldn't turn on.
As I said it was pretty old and also kind of rusty.
I figured I'd look inside before doing anything else.
When I opened it up I noticed about half a dozen of the copper
windings had burned through. *IIRC, the winding is suppose to be a
single strand of wire in order to make an electromagnetic field. *And
if this is the case, I should just junk the grinder right?
I has been to long since I've messed with electric motors and i can't
remember.
It would also be impossible to match and soldier the burnt wires.

So, trash it or try something else? *I know they are not that
expensive new, but it is still hard to beat free.

Thanks

Ron

It's done. Salvage the wheels and keep the special left hand thread
nut, the rest is pretty much junk.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron Cliborn wrote in
:

I inherited a rough looking old bench grinder.
I put a plug on it and the thing wouldn't turn on.
As I said it was pretty old and also kind of rusty.
I figured I'd look inside before doing anything else.
When I opened it up I noticed about half a dozen of the copper
windings had burned through. IIRC, the winding is suppose to be a
single strand of wire in order to make an electromagnetic field.

Not true. motor windings often are multi-strand.
if you parallel many tiny strands,they can carry as much current as a
single thicker strand that is harder to wind around the core.
(and results in more copper in the same space)

And
if this is the case, I should just junk the grinder right?

well,you could try to get the motor rewound,but that would probably cost
more than a new grinder.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 8:51*am, Ron Cliborn wrote:
I inherited a rough looking old bench grinder.
I put a plug on it and the thing wouldn't turn on.
As I said it was pretty old and also kind of rusty.
I figured I'd look inside before doing anything else.
When I opened it up I noticed about half a dozen of the copper
windings had burned through. *IIRC, the winding is suppose to be a
single strand of wire in order to make an electromagnetic field. *And
if this is the case, I should just junk the grinder right?
I has been to long since I've messed with electric motors and i can't
remember.
It would also be impossible to match and soldier the burnt wires.

So, trash it or try something else? *I know they are not that
expensive new, but it is still hard to beat free.

Thanks

Ron

Unless you need as boaat anchor, alvasge the wheels as someone
suggested and trash the rest. If you do save the left-hand-threaded
nut, mark it so that you don't go crazy at some time in the future
when you try to use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the response.
I thought it was toast but wanted to make sure.

Thanks again
Ron

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:51:17 -0500, Ron Cliborn
wrote:

I inherited a rough looking old bench grinder.
I put a plug on it and the thing wouldn't turn on.
As I said it was pretty old and also kind of rusty.
I figured I'd look inside before doing anything else.
When I opened it up I noticed about half a dozen of the copper
windings had burned through. IIRC, the winding is suppose to be a
single strand of wire in order to make an electromagnetic field. And
if this is the case, I should just junk the grinder right?
I has been to long since I've messed with electric motors and i can't
remember.
It would also be impossible to match and soldier the burnt wires.

So, trash it or try something else? I know they are not that
expensive new, but it is still hard to beat free.

Thanks

Ron

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron Cliborn" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the response.
I thought it was toast but wanted to make sure.

Thanks again
Ron

To make sure, hook it up and run it. If you survive, that should tell you a
lot. With machinery, there is a lot of "run until failure" modes.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Trash day can't come soon enough Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 23 March 4th 10 10:02 PM
Ready mixed Polly filler or ready mixed plaster ? Stephen[_11_] UK diy 9 January 15th 10 09:05 AM
trash can? Nate Nagel Home Repair 8 August 27th 07 05:52 AM
ENOUGH with the OT trash Rick Soulsby Woodworking 7 January 13th 06 03:22 PM
Well, I put the trash can separator on top of the DC! Toller Woodworking 14 November 30th 05 03:59 AM