Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Cliborn[_2_] Ron Cliborn[_2_] is offline

Default Is this Benchgrinder ready for the trash??

I inherited a rough looking old bench grinder.
I put a plug on it and the thing wouldn't turn on.
As I said it was pretty old and also kind of rusty.
I figured I'd look inside before doing anything else.
When I opened it up I noticed about half a dozen of the copper
windings had burned through. IIRC, the winding is suppose to be a
single strand of wire in order to make an electromagnetic field. And
if this is the case, I should just junk the grinder right?
I has been to long since I've messed with electric motors and i can't
remember.
It would also be impossible to match and soldier the burnt wires.

So, trash it or try something else? I know they are not that
expensive new, but it is still hard to beat free.

Thanks

Ron