Posted to alt.home.repair

Default duplex outlets

I'd like to replace some of my duplex outlets. I don't need backstab
or designer. No GFCI. 15A.

I did some looking at the BORG and found Levitons ranging from .59 to
$7.95. So I did some looking at Lowes and found they carry Cooper, about
$21.32 for a contractor commercial pack:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

What exactly is the difference between all the grades?

I've grown suspicious of the quality of any product HD carries. Is
Cooper better than Leviton?

Is residential junk?

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
I'd like to replace some of my duplex outlets. I don't need backstab or
designer. No GFCI. 15A.

I did some looking at the BORG and found Levitons ranging from .59 to
$7.95. So I did some looking at Lowes and found they carry Cooper, about
$21.32 for a contractor commercial pack:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

What exactly is the difference between all the grades?

I've grown suspicious of the quality of any product HD carries. Is
Cooper better than Leviton?

Is residential junk?

Jeff

Every manufacturer has a variety of grades of receptacles. In most houses
you will find residential grade, and they hold up just fine most of the
time. If you have a very often used receptacle, such as in a hall where a
vacuum may be plugged in often, you might want to use a better grade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like to replace some of my duplex outlets. I don't need backstab
or designer. No GFCI. 15A.

I did some looking at the BORG and found Levitons ranging from .59
to $7.95. So I did some looking at Lowes and found they carry Cooper,
about $21.32 for a contractor commercial pack:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

What exactly is the difference between all the grades?

I've grown suspicious of the quality of any product HD carries. Is
Cooper better than Leviton?

I use "spec grade" outlets. Avoid the really cheap outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2010 7:09 PM, Bob F wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
I'd like to replace some of my duplex outlets. I don't need backstab
or designer. No GFCI. 15A.

I did some looking at the BORG and found Levitons ranging from .59
to $7.95. So I did some looking at Lowes and found they carry Cooper,
about $21.32 for a contractor commercial pack:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

What exactly is the difference between all the grades?

I've grown suspicious of the quality of any product HD carries. Is
Cooper better than Leviton?

I use "spec grade" outlets. Avoid the really cheap outlets.

Your eyes and your fingers can show you the difference, if you hold one
of each flavor in each hand. The 2-buck outlet will be heavier, crisper
edges on the plastic, better finished, better machining on the screw
holes, et al. The 79-cent outlet will feel like cheap junk by
comparison. Dressing cables and stuffing them back in the box is a PITA-
you don't wanna do it any more often than you have to. Best to buy
quality the first time, and never have to touch it again. The next owner
will thank you. Same goes for switches, which get cycled a lot more than
outlets,

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 17:56:28 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

I'd like to replace some of my duplex outlets. I don't need backstab
or designer. No GFCI. 15A.

I did some looking at the BORG and found Levitons ranging from .59 to
$7.95. So I did some looking at Lowes and found they carry Cooper, about
$21.32 for a contractor commercial pack:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

What exactly is the difference between all the grades?

I've grown suspicious of the quality of any product HD carries. Is
Cooper better than Leviton?

Is residential junk?

Jeff

High end leviton is pretty decent - and low end cooper might be as bad
as low end leviton.
My philosophy is never buy the cheapest or the most expensive (unless
you really think you need the best, and price be damned)

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...4-BR15W-L&lang....

* What exactly is the difference between all the grades?

* I've grown suspicious of the quality of any product HD carries. Is
Cooper better than Leviton?

* Is residential junk?

* Jeff

High end leviton is pretty decent - and low end cooper might be as bad
as low end leviton.
My philosophy is never buy the cheapest or the most expensive (unless
you really think you need the best, and price be damned)- Hide quoted text -

If the outlets are used continuously or seldom used, almost anything
would be ok. If you plug and unplug stuff into them frequently, then
go up a couple of price points so that you don't have to do the job
again in a couple of years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 3:59*am, Felix Oska wrote:
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:24:48 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:

[...]

My workbench outlets and my kitchen outlets are hospital grade due to
much plug/unplug over the years (18).- Hide quoted text -

Exactly!