Posted to alt.home.repair
John Cochran

Default Multiple split duplex outlets question

I am going to be performing a major renovation of my house and for the kitchen,
I intend on doing some extreme overkill on the outlets. What I intend on
having is 2 split duplex outlets and a single switched outlet for every 4
feet of counter space. That's right, there will be a triple gang box containing
4 unswitched outlets and 1 switched outlet and each outlet will have a
separate breaker for a total of 5 circuits.

I know that I can easily obtain 2-pole GFCI breakers and a 1 pole GFCI breaker
as well. I also know that the split duplex outlets must be on a 2-pole GFCI
breaker in order for the GFCI to work properly with a shared neutral. But
I forsee a problem in that a total of 3 breakers (2 double polled and 1
single polled) must be turned off in order to remove all power from each
triple gang box. I don't know if the NEC considers this a safety hazard, but I
do. Is it possible to link 5 breakers together so that if any of the 5 breakers
trip, then all 5 breakers will trip? If so, how would I do that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What I did was install more double outlets and boxes. This way each 2
feet of counter space has a 4 slot receptable in my case all
unswitched. each dual gang box got its own dedicated breaker on a 20
amp circuit. this minimizes cords draped across counters. its easy to
know what breaker tripped too, and each box has its own on site GFCI,
so its easy to reset if something trips.

I didnt like the idea of multiple breakers powering a single box....

futher I bought premium 20 amp GFCIs and receptables the back wired
kind with screws/ My kitchen now has 5 seperate breakers powering
convenience outlets. and seperate breakers for stove, dishwasher,
fridge, microwave kitchen light and disposal.

I figured overkill would nean I didnt have to do it again. makes
troubleshooting easy too

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 21:00:02 GMT, (John Cochran)
wrote:

[...]

I think it would make more sense to have a duplex box every two feet,
With two 3-wire Edison circuts in alternating boxes, and one side
of one of them switched.

The would require two 2-pole GFCI breakers, and a switch.

Separating the boxes along the counter means you're less
likely to have a nest of wires all headed for the same
box, but they'd be close enough together that you could
still cluster appliances together without running cords
all over the counter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If he REALLY wants switched outlets use 3 gang boxes, with the first a
switch then a set of duplex receptables perhaps one of which is
switched and one not. or use the break away contact and switch just one
of the 4 outlets.

I would add a pilot light for each switch as a reminder as to whats on.
there should be enough room to fit it by the switch, since lots of
switches today are fairly small. ,ake certain swich is rated at 20 amps
too

Honestly I think pulling the plug is safer

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Cochran

In article .com,
wrote:
If he REALLY wants switched outlets use 3 gang boxes, with the first a
switch then a set of duplex receptables perhaps one of which is
switched and one not. or use the break away contact and switch just one
of the 4 outlets.

There are devices where there is a switch and a single outlet in 1 device.
Using a crude ASCII drawing, the desired layout is

+-------+-------+-------+
| O | O | ++--+ | Outlet.
| | | |
| O | O | O | the switch that controls it.
+-------+-------+-------+
^ ^
| |
| |
Split Duplex outlets each capable of full draw since each is on a separate
breaker.

The wiring for the above beast is

+--------------+ 12/3 Wire
| 20 Amp |-- Phase 1 ------- Connected to top brass screw
| Double Pole |-- Neutral ------- Connected to silver screw
| GFCI breaker |-- Phase 2 ------- Connected to bottom brass screw
The tabs between the brass screws is broken off.

The above would be used for each duplex outlet so that a full load may
be placed on each outlet without overloading the circuit.

For the single switched outlet, the switch simply controls the single
socket immediately below it.

However, the above beast requires 2 double-pole GFCI circuit breakers
and a single pole GFCI circuit breaker. What I would like to do is
physically tie all three breakers together so that if any of the breakers
trip, the entire gang box is de-energized.