Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Not 1/4 Round?

Just back from buying some 3/4" quarter-round (well, 95/128" or
whatever) . It isn't a quarter circle profile, though. The right
angle part (the middle of the circle) has been machined off. Didn't
check every species in the yard, but the pine, maple and faux-mahogany
were all like this. Checked a piece of 1/2" and it was a full 1/4
circle profile.

Not a big deal except at doorways. I usually just do a little angle
cut, but if you don't do a proper return with this stuff, you can see
a little notch at the end of the run.

Any idea why the corner gets trimmed off? Seems like an extra step in
the production process.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

WandererFan wrote:
Just back from buying some 3/4" quarter-round (well, 95/128" or
whatever) . It isn't a quarter circle profile, though. The right
angle part (the middle of the circle) has been machined off. Didn't
check every species in the yard, but the pine, maple and faux-mahogany
were all like this. Checked a piece of 1/2" and it was a full 1/4
circle profile.

Not a big deal except at doorways. I usually just do a little angle
cut, but if you don't do a proper return with this stuff, you can see
a little notch at the end of the run.

Any idea why the corner gets trimmed off? Seems like an extra step in
the production process.

If you mean the 90-deg corner w/ a 45-deg angle taken a little off, it's
to provide some clearance in use so the interior corner doesn't have to
be completely perfect for the two faces to fit flush...otherwise, any
little bump in the corner will hold it out.

If you're meaning the profile isn't circular, what you were looking at
was shoe mould, not quarter-round. Shoe mould is what is typically used
for floor at baseboard (hence "shoe").

Posted to alt.home.repair

le snip

--

It is 1/4 round, not shoe mold (mould? never can keep straight which
one is black and smelly and which one is wood!).

Guess I can see trimming the inside corner at 45 to avoid the wall/
floor seam, but I would have thought the baseboard would have covered
up most of the imperfections already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 2:34*pm, WandererFan wrote:
Just back from buying some 3/4" quarter-round (well, 95/128" or
whatever) . *It isn't a quarter circle profile, though. *The right
angle part (the middle of the circle) has been machined off. *Didn't
check every species in the yard, but the pine, maple and faux-mahogany
were all like this. *Checked a piece of 1/2" and it was a full 1/4
circle profile.

Not a big deal except at doorways. *I usually just do a little angle
cut, but if you don't do a proper return with this stuff, you can see
a little notch at the end of the run.

Any idea why the corner gets trimmed off? *Seems like an extra step in
the production process.

I'm sure it's all milled at the same time, so there is no extra step.
Why do they do it...? For clearance. Any time there's a question why
something doesn't fit with mathematical precision, it's for
clearance. If I were to take a stab at what the clearance is for, I'd
say that it was probably to allow the 1/4 round to replace shoe mold.
When a floor is refinished there's frequently a little raised section
right at the baseboard where the sander can't reach, and a lot of
refinishers aren't totally meticulous about hand scraping off a little
ridge like that. The back cut corner would allow the molding to sit
flat on the refinished floor. It's a guess, but, regardless, it's for
clearance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

WandererFan wrote:

It is 1/4 round, not shoe mold (mould? never can keep straight which
one is black and smelly and which one is wood!).

Guess I can see trimming the inside corner at 45 to avoid the wall/
floor seam, but I would have thought the baseboard would have covered
up most of the imperfections already.

There are other places to use it where that isn't the case.
Particularly in an inside cabinet corner might be one place where the
clearance may help "neaten up" the application much more easily.

"Mould" is the traditional spelling; one often sees "mold" any more; my
age and past experience probably shows in my choice...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:02:19 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Oct 25, 2:34Â*pm, WandererFan wrote:
Just back from buying some 3/4" quarter-round (well, 95/128" or
whatever) . Â*It isn't a quarter circle profile, though. Â*The right
angle part (the middle of the circle) has been machined off. Â*Didn't
check every species in the yard, but the pine, maple and faux-mahogany
were all like this. Â*Checked a piece of 1/2" and it was a full 1/4
circle profile.

Not a big deal except at doorways. Â*I usually just do a little angle
cut, but if you don't do a proper return with this stuff, you can see
a little notch at the end of the run.

Any idea why the corner gets trimmed off? Â*Seems like an extra step in
the production process.

I'm sure it's all milled at the same time, so there is no extra step.
Why do they do it...? For clearance. Any time there's a question why
something doesn't fit with mathematical precision, it's for
clearance. If I were to take a stab at what the clearance is for, I'd
say that it was probably to allow the 1/4 round to replace shoe mold.
When a floor is refinished there's frequently a little raised section
right at the baseboard where the sander can't reach, and a lot of
refinishers aren't totally meticulous about hand scraping off a little
ridge like that. The back cut corner would allow the molding to sit
flat on the refinished floor. It's a guess, but, regardless, it's for
clearance.

I didn't see any of that "right angle cut off" stuff at either HD or
Menards a couple months ago. But I was only buying oak.

Might be for the ridge as you said. Makes sense.

I just had my floors sanded, and they looked so good we decided to
replace the painted baseboards and shoe molding.
New oak with a few coats of varnish is a lot easier and cheaper in the
long run than stripping many coats of paint from dried and split oak.

Should have pulled the old stuff before they sanded/varnished.
Might not have mattered much though since it was raw wood under the
base and shoe.
Doubt they would have matched it all.

The sanders got right up to the shoe, but when I pulled the old stuff
there was varnish/dirt ridge at the outside edge of where the shoe
was.
They didn't take off enough wood to make a noticeable wood ridge.
No problem shaving off the varnish/dirt ridge.
But either the new base or shoe is made thinner than the old stuff,
so putting it back how it was left a dirty line at the edge of the
shoe. About 1/8". Looked terrible.
The shoe is 3/4" tall and 1/2" wide at the base.
I put the 3/4" side to the floor and that covered the line.
Looks real nice if you bother to notice it.
Custom looking. Yeah, that's it.
Almost looks like crown molding.
Feels like you're walking on the ceiling.
But only if you stare for a while after a few beers..

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:40:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

WandererFan wrote:
[...]

Especially in homes pre 1970's. i see this all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

WandererFan wrote:

Any idea why the corner gets trimmed off? Seems like an extra step in
the production process.

As another said, it isn't another step but it does take an extra
knife/spindle in the moulder/shaper and so cheaper (slightly, but over
enough thousands of feet it can add up) slightly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2010 1:34 PM, WandererFan wrote:
Just back from buying some 3/4" quarter-round (well, 95/128" or
whatever) . It isn't a quarter circle profile, though. The right
angle part (the middle of the circle) has been machined off. Didn't
check every species in the yard, but the pine, maple and faux-mahogany
were all like this. Checked a piece of 1/2" and it was a full 1/4
circle profile.

Not a big deal except at doorways. I usually just do a little angle
cut, but if you don't do a proper return with this stuff, you can see
a little notch at the end of the run.

Any idea why the corner gets trimmed off? Seems like an extra step in
the production process.

Thanks.

it lays in better with the corner shaved off. if you're painting, just
use a little sheetrock mud. if staining, then i don't have a suggestion.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 8:56*pm, dpb wrote:
WandererFan wrote:

It is 1/4 round, not shoe mold (mould? never can keep straight which
one is black and smelly and which one is wood!).

Guess I can see trimming the inside corner at 45 to avoid the wall/
floor seam, but I would have thought the baseboard would have covered
up most of the imperfections already.

There are other places to use it where that isn't the case.
Particularly in an inside cabinet corner might be one place where the
clearance may help "neaten up" the application much more easily.

"Mould" is the traditional spelling; one often sees "mold" any more; my
age and past experience probably shows in my choice...

--

Mould is the correct spelling in both cases. Mold is the name of a
town near to where I live.