Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrically boobie-trapping an aluminum sash window

Has anyone done this before ? Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. The house is in FLorida which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
Has anyone done this before ? Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. The house is in FLorida which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.

Tip: Don't. You're misinterpreting the law. Don't try and debate the law in
your next message(s). Give a lawyer $100 to explain it to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 8:43*am, " wrote:
Has anyone done this before ? * *Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. * Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. *SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. *I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. * The house is in FLorida *which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, *homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. *Tips please on using this method ? * Thanks.

Then he will sue you for the damage it caused him and win, kill him
and its murder. Spend the money and time setting up a camera system to
catch him, that will stop him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 8:43*am, " wrote:
Has anyone done this before ? * *Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. * Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. *SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. *I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. * The house is in FLorida *which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, *homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. *Tips please on using this method ? * Thanks.

I would try harsh language first. You could come up with some cutting
remarks that would scar him for life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 9:59 AM, Country wrote:
On Oct 24, 8:43 am, wrote:
Has anyone done this before ? Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. The house is in FLorida which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.

I would try harsh language first. You could come up with some cutting
remarks that would scar him for life.

HEY, YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 9:54*am, Red Green wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in news:ia1h57$k3t$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

On 10/24/2010 8:43 AM, wrote:
Has anyone done this before ? * *Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. * Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. *SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. *I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. * The house is in FLorida *which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, *homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. *Tips please on using this method ? * Thanks.

The house power can be deadly and if you kill or injure someone, you
can be charged with a crime. I you want to electrically deter someone,
I suggest an electric fence charger. The power is current limited and
not considered lethal although painful.

TDD

One word...Claymore

Or an IED. He could blame it on the Muslims.

I would recommend a bazooka. Just go out in the back yard when the
neighbor is out there and tell him to stand close behind you while you
test the weapon. The neighbor dies in the accident. Problem solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

Better yet, redo window with guillotine and trigger. Also mount
triggered camera like they do on roller coasters. Smile!

Not sure if this is considered a green or red solution.

If you throw the body on a compost pile, it could be both, I suppose

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in news:--
:

wrote the following:
Has anyone done this before ? Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. The house is in FLorida which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.

BAD,BAD,BAD idea.
not only have people been killed by this sort of booby trap,the owner often
gets nailed by their own trap.

There have been many cases where someone was injured by a boobie trap,
no matter if it was on the home owner's property or not, and the person
setting the trap was charged with a crime.

FELONY crime;manslaughter. good for several years of prison.

What if police, fire, or EMTs used those windows to get into your house
in an emergency?

the BEST idea is to get one of those digital cameras made for hunters,that
strap to a tree,and use an IR flash to capture whatever breaks the
motion sensor's field of view. Then you have credible evidence of exactly
who did the vandalism/break-in,and police can use it to arrest and convict
them. It's also good for a civil lawsuit,to collect damages.

They are sold at sporting goods stores.

Or you could use a wireless webcam connected to your PC. there are several
security cams made,with SW that makes the camera act as a motion
sensor,records to harddisk when the image changes. you need one that has an
integral IR light source.you can even buy them at WalMart.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 9:52 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
Has anyone done this before ? Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. The house is in FLorida which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.

Tip: Don't. You're misinterpreting the law. Don't try and debate the law in
your next message(s). Give a lawyer $100 to explain it to you.

Agreed. Potentially lethal booby traps, spring guns, et al, are NOT
covered under the 'no duty to retreat' thing. Most states, they are
specifically called out as illegal. A wandering kid, a utility guy, or
an emergency services worker that HAD to make entry, could fall victim.

No duty to retreat means you can stand there with a shotgun aimed at the
burglar, and use it if you feel your life is at risk. And the DA pretty
much has to take your word for it. (Does the Florida law also address
the civil suits from the burglar's family?)

On the slim chance this isn't a troll, there are all sorts of less
lethal solutions available. Motion-sensor lights and alarms, security
bars (with interior release so you don't get trapped in a fire), better
window latches, plastic glazing that is harder to break, a dog in the
back yard, and so on and so on.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone done this before ? Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. The house is in FLorida which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.

Booby traps are illegal per se and have been since, I dunno, the Norman
Conquest. Irrespective of whether anyone is hurt by a booby-trap, its mere
presence is a crime!

There are many people who could legally enter your property without your
permission - or even without your knowledge - and should not be fearful of
injury. These people include:

* A police officer with a valid warrant,
* A firefighter or other emergency worker,
* A child - who has no criminal liability
* A civil trespasser trying to get out of the cold
* Postal or utility workers,
* Game wardens in search of an injured animal
* ANYONE who can claim exigent circumstances; that is, where a life was in
danger. This could be as simple as a frantic citizen searching your yard for
a 2x4 to pry open a smashed door for the auto collision in front of your
house!

Note that ALL of the above almost always have a legal right to be in your
yard or even your house. Without your knowledge or permission.

It would be legal (and probably cheaper) to simply erect burglar bars on the
windows. Or get a dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 06:43:48 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Has anyone done this before ?

Yes! 1986 in Miami.

But don't be 'stoooopid' and try it, you will not get off like this
guy did.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-10-...3_1_booby-trap

Post a sign: "Can you catch bullets in your teeth" G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 2:05*pm, jeff_wisnia
Has anyone done this before ? * *Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. * Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. *SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. *I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. * The house is in FLorida *which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, *homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. *Tips please on using this method ? * Thanks.

I think the second word in your subject line should be spelled booby.

According to SWMBO, boobie trapping is something acomplished by a
too-tight bra. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Maybe he likes boobies. Can't blame him for wanting to trap one... or
two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I've often wondered about this: If a booby trap is illegal, would a
remote controlled weapon be illegal if it could only go off if you
triggered while watching the perp on a video system or periscope?
If you're on the second floor, you hear a noise, look out the window
to see a do-bad prying open a first floor window and you hit the
switch that supplies power to that old power company transformer you
found in the woods which when hooked up in reverse takes the 240 volts
from your house and turns it into 4,160 volts applied to the window
frames, would that be illegal? Just wondering. 8-)

I swear officer, a bolt of lightning came out of the clear blue sky.
It must have been punishment from a higher power (no pun).

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 11:56 AM, HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I caught part of one of those cops shows some time back and the police
were after a drug dealer. After the police smashed their way into the
alleged drug dealers apartment and apprehended him, one of the criminal
charges was "Making it difficult for police to break in." I was
astonished at that and left wondering what jurisdiction it was that had
such a law? I wonder if there is a requirement in that jurisdiction
that citizens provide a special key to government agents so they may
easily bypass their burglar bars?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:34:39 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

According to SWMBO, boobie trapping is something acomplished by a
too-tight bra. G

Jeff

I think the legal term is "man trap" but that could also describe
boobies as well. 8-)

TDD

Such a trap can also be called a "head rest".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

On the slim chance this isn't a troll, there are all sorts of less lethal
solutions available. Motion-sensor lights and alarms, security bars (with
interior release so you don't get trapped in a fire), better window
latches, plastic glazing that is harder to break, a dog in the back yard,
and so on and so on.

One of those motion-sensor cameras to get a photo of the vandal might be
handy, let the cops take it from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:chb9c6pu1s6qkm8a662vvnd9eekf01nq7a@
4ax.com:

wrote:

According to SWMBO, boobie trapping is something acomplished by a
too-tight bra. G

Jeff

I think the legal term is "man trap" but that could also describe
boobies as well. 8-)

TDD

Such a trap can also be called a "head rest".

Special google for web pages on boobies.

http://oi51.tinypic.com/33vnhn6.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote

stuff snipped

Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.

Are you planning to be home when this happens? That's the only way you
could claim a no-retreat "castle defense." Otherwise it sounds just like
pre-meditated murder which. Depending on how ugly you are (jury sympathy
factor) and the length of your criminal record, a window-sash electrocuter
could get you the death sentence.

Ironically, in the State of Florida you get a choice of deaths and
electrocution is one of them but probably not by window sill, though. You'd
need Johny Cochrane to get you off on a charge like that and that's ain't
happening 'cause he be DEAD. (But his chain of law firms took a long time
figuring that out, judging by their TV ads.)

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

Wow!

It wouldn't be too hard to reinforce a door such that the cops couldn't
knock it down with the stuff they normally carry (solid steel fire door,
refinforced door jambs set in concrete, bars, etc.).

They'd have to call the fire department, which is terribly embarrassing.

The cops would not be in a good mood once they DID get in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Country wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:05 pm, jeff_wisnia
[...]

Dollar bills with a dab of peanut butter is an excellent bait...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 06:43:48 -0700, wrote:

Has anyone done this before ?

stuff snipped about electrocuting burglars

Have a good lawyer on retainer for your manslaughter trial.

You've got the right idea. It's a number one dopey thing to do. But I doubt
he would go down for only manslaughter. Maybe if it's Christmas Eve and the
DA just won the lottery and felt generous.

It's murder one because a) he came here and asked for advice on how to do it
and b) was told of the legal jeopardy issues by many posters. If he still
built his sashocuter after knowing all this, it's premeditated murder. It's
almost a text-book example of premeditation. We're the meditating part.

While human beings get hot enough to kill over property crimes, the cold
dispassionate law doesn't see it that way. Still, I believe it's not an
insignificant number of murders that are committed every year over property
crimes, and IIRC they are a close second domestic abuse murders.

Some of those killings are truly manslaughter where no one started out with
an intent to kill but some guy catches some other guy stealing his brand new
(insert stealable item name here) and brains him with a piece of rebar that
was just lying around. Could be murder two, could be manslaughter. Depends
how many whacks he gave him, etc. I wonder how many people have met their
maker at the end of a section of rebar? I'll bet it's more than 100.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 8:24 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 10/24/2010 2:01 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

Has anyone done this before ? Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. The house is in FLorida which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.

Why screw around with 115? Tap the dryer or stove outlet. Same legal
penalty I suppose.

You've just disclosed your ignorance of household electricity.

The voltage you could put onto the window sash would still be 120 volts.

Jeff

Maybe he's European?

TDD

That thought occured to me, but the OP mentioned "115 volts" which
pretty much said he wasn't on the right side of the pond. G

Jeff

Darn Euros, we can't get them to stay home!

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 6:41 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"A. wrote in message
[...]

A while back there was a news story about a local machine shop owner
who killed a burglar who broke into his business one night. The dead
perp was found with a screwdriver in his cold dead hand. No charges
were brought against the machine shop owner and there were no more
reported burglaries of his business.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2010 5:50 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

I had never heard of such a criminal charge. It reminded me of a law
here in Alabamastan where those caught with illegal drugs are charged
with "Failure to affix a tax stamp" I have actually asked a couple of
sheriffs where such tax stamps can be purchased? One didn't know if the
stamps were available and another said they were. It's not illegal for
law enforcement personnel to lie to a citizen. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Excellent summary. The law rarely equates the value of property with that
of life, even a low-life scum-sucking house burglar. You can take a life
defending your life, but taking a life defending only property is probably
going to get your butt in jail. Obviously any sort of "deadfall" that
operates when you're not even there is equating the value of your property
with that of a human life. Courts almost uniformly are against taking the
law into your own hands because it cuts them out of the loop. (-: As you
noted, the law is mostly concerned with you accidentally executing a public
servant like a cop or a fireman.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 12:36*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
willshak wrote in news:--
:

wrote the following:
[...]

An Alarm Co. like Slomin Shield or ADT would be best.
Or go with the best solution here, hide cameras pointed at the exposed
windows, and get them on video inside your property.....Good
luck....I'd bait them and wait for them inside right next to the
windows with a phone and a bat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

Excellent summary. The law rarely equates the value of property with
that of life, even a low-life scum-sucking house burglar. You can
take a life defending your life, but taking a life defending only
property is probably going to get your butt in jail.

TEXAS PENAL CODE: Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is
justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible,
movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section
9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is
immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary,
robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal
mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing
burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from
escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other
means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the
land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of
death or serious bodily injury.

painting window sash heteroscedastic Home Repair 5 June 9th 09 05:56 PM
Sash window won't stay up Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 10 August 31st 06 06:46 PM
sash window refurb aboleth UK diy 7 July 17th 06 08:12 PM
Window Sash Making Mike Woodworking 1 September 27th 03 06:19 AM
My first sash window! (A bit long) Adam UK diy 3 September 17th 03 04:47 PM