Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting window sash

I have Andersen double-hung windows. I finished the wood sash with
polyurethane 10 years ago. It is generally in fine shape except for
windows which experience a certain amount of condensation in the
winter, mainly early in the heating season before the house has dried
out. I wipe it off every morning but that's not enough, and the
varnish has deteriorated on the beveled part of the bottom of the
sashes. I think if I just paint the sash, the paint will hold up
better than the varnish has, though I don't expect perfection here. I
can't totally prevent condensation, mainly because I heat with wood,
and the bedrooms are cooler than the rest of the house.

Are there any tips for getting the best possible result with paint,
i.e. maximum resistance to damage from condensation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 9:04*am, heteroscedastic wrote:
I have Andersen double-hung windows. *I finished the wood sash with
polyurethane 10 years ago. *It is generally in fine shape except for
windows which experience a certain amount of condensation in the
winter, mainly early in the heating season before the house has dried
out. *I wipe it off every morning but that's not enough, and the
varnish has deteriorated on the beveled part of the bottom of the
sashes. *I think if I just paint the sash, the paint will hold up
better than the varnish has, though I don't expect perfection here. *I
can't totally prevent condensation, mainly because I heat with wood,
and the bedrooms are cooler than the rest of the house.

Are there any tips for getting the best possible result with paint,
i.e. maximum resistance to damage from condensation?

Have you talked to anyone at a dedicated paint store - not a big box
paint counter, but a locally owned business that has been around for a
while?

I've had so many instances where the big boxes and the kids at the
national chains (Sherman-Williams, etc) knew less than I did about
what I was trying to accomplish. However, there is a small local chain
that's been around since the 80's as well as a family owned single
store (that I'm pretty sure sold paint to the pilgrims) where I can go
in, they understand what I am trying to do and offer suggestions that
make sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 8:04*am, heteroscedastic wrote:
I have Andersen double-hung windows. *I finished the wood sash with
polyurethane 10 years ago. *It is generally in fine shape except for
windows which experience a certain amount of condensation in the
winter, mainly early in the heating season before the house has dried
out. *I wipe it off every morning but that's not enough, and the
varnish has deteriorated on the beveled part of the bottom of the
sashes. *I think if I just paint the sash, the paint will hold up
better than the varnish has, though I don't expect perfection here. *I
can't totally prevent condensation, mainly because I heat with wood,
and the bedrooms are cooler than the rest of the house.

Are there any tips for getting the best possible result with paint,
i.e. maximum resistance to damage from condensation?

One big benefit is you can see mold and kill it with bleach before it
turn to rot, do you have black areas, with paint you wont know of big
problems until its to late and the window is ruined. Will paint last
longer, maybe not, and you wont know about rot. Run a dehumidifer or
open windows when condensation occurs, you have good expensive
windows, loosing them to rot is not right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

heteroscedastic wrote:
I have Andersen double-hung windows. I finished the wood sash with
polyurethane 10 years ago. It is generally in fine shape except for
windows which experience a certain amount of condensation in the
winter, mainly early in the heating season before the house has dried
out. I wipe it off every morning but that's not enough, and the
varnish has deteriorated on the beveled part of the bottom of the
sashes. I think if I just paint the sash, the paint will hold up
better than the varnish has, though I don't expect perfection here. I
can't totally prevent condensation, mainly because I heat with wood,
and the bedrooms are cooler than the rest of the house.

Are there any tips for getting the best possible result with paint,
i.e. maximum resistance to damage from condensation?

I don't know your brand of window, but for wood windows in general the
problem is moisture running down the glass behind the wood. Only tip I
know of for interior window finish in regard to this problem is to paint
or varnish onto the glass - provides a seal so the water doesn't get
behind the wood. If your hand isn't steady, you can tape the glass and
allow 1/16" or so of glass to be finished. I have also used a metal
rule and razor blade to even the line after finish is dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

heteroscedastic wrote:
I have Andersen double-hung windows. I finished the wood sash with
polyurethane 10 years ago. It is generally in fine shape except for
windows which experience a certain amount of condensation in the
winter, mainly early in the heating season before the house has dried
out. I wipe it off every morning but that's not enough, and the
varnish has deteriorated on the beveled part of the bottom of the
sashes. I think if I just paint the sash, the paint will hold up
better than the varnish has, though I don't expect perfection here. I
can't totally prevent condensation, mainly because I heat with wood,
and the bedrooms are cooler than the rest of the house.

Are there any tips for getting the best possible result with paint,
i.e. maximum resistance to damage from condensation?

I forgot to mention - since the wood is damaged, should allow it to dry
well and sand down to clean wood. Strong sunlight can also damage
finish, and clear finish acts like a "heat trap"; if that is the case,
paint would likely be better than clear finish.

If you get a lot of condensation in cold weather, a fan might help.
Heavy drapes also help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 06:04:43 -0700 (PDT), heteroscedastic
wrote:

I have Andersen double-hung windows. I finished the wood sash with
polyurethane 10 years ago. It is generally in fine shape except for
windows which experience a certain amount of condensation in the
winter, mainly early in the heating season before the house has dried
out. I wipe it off every morning but that's not enough, and the
varnish has deteriorated on the beveled part of the bottom of the
sashes. I think if I just paint the sash, the paint will hold up
better than the varnish has, though I don't expect perfection here. I
can't totally prevent condensation, mainly because I heat with wood,
and the bedrooms are cooler than the rest of the house.

Are there any tips for getting the best possible result with paint,
i.e. maximum resistance to damage from condensation?

Most of the work is preparing the surface and that will determine the
overall quality of your work. Sand, repair defects, remove caulk.
Inspect your work at various light angles to correct flaws. After
surface is clean and dry caulk cracks, prime, and apply two finish
coats. Use a high quality angled sash brush. Lightly sand between
coats with 220 grit and remove any dust.

Condensation can be controlled by better air circulation, lower
humidy, triple-pane insulated windows, etc.

Actually I trust a varnish polyurethane over paint if the surface gets
wet. Paint would not be my practical choice. With either finish, you
can apply a coat of paste wax after allowing the finish to fully
harden (maybe 2 months.)

Live Conference Today: Window Sash Painting [email protected] Home Repair 0 July 21st 07 01:04 PM
Live Conference Today: Window Sash Painting John Home Ownership 0 July 21st 07 01:03 PM
Sash window won't stay up Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 10 August 31st 06 06:46 PM
sash window refurb aboleth UK diy 7 July 17th 06 08:12 PM
Painting a sash window... Adam UK diy 5 September 10th 03 04:53 PM