Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Electrically boobie-trapping an aluminum sash window

willshak wrote in news:--
:

wrote the following:
Has anyone done this before ? Id like to do this to two windows on
the backside of my house which is ideal to break into since I back up
to a dark forest. Have had problems with the next door neighbor
vandalizing on a small scale but its escalating. SInce the aluminum
sash is surrounded by non conducting wood and vinyl siding, Im hoping
it is as simple as bringing the hot of a 115 v. outlet to the sash and
fastening it tightly down. I live by myself so theres no concern for
others getting accidentally shocked. The house is in FLorida which
just passed new laws in October saying essentially, that, homeowners
dont need to retreat and can stand their ground with a person breaking
in. Tips please on using this method ? Thanks.

BAD,BAD,BAD idea.
not only have people been killed by this sort of booby trap,the owner often
gets nailed by their own trap.

There have been many cases where someone was injured by a boobie trap,
no matter if it was on the home owner's property or not, and the person
setting the trap was charged with a crime.

FELONY crime;manslaughter. good for several years of prison.

What if police, fire, or EMTs used those windows to get into your house
in an emergency?

the BEST idea is to get one of those digital cameras made for hunters,that
strap to a tree,and use an IR flash to capture whatever breaks the
motion sensor's field of view. Then you have credible evidence of exactly
who did the vandalism/break-in,and police can use it to arrest and convict
them. It's also good for a civil lawsuit,to collect damages.

They are sold at sporting goods stores.

Or you could use a wireless webcam connected to your PC. there are several
security cams made,with SW that makes the camera act as a motion
sensor,records to harddisk when the image changes. you need one that has an
integral IR light source.you can even buy them at WalMart.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik