Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Legal number of tandem circuit breakers in a panel

Last night I had a double-tapped breaker fail. Turns out the former
owner put most of the overhead lighting, and the living room outlets,
on these two taps.

It's a Cutler-Hammer box so the double-tap was legal.

The basement overheads started flickering as I was working, and soon
went out. When I got to the panel, I could smell something was wrong,
so I started feeling breakers for heat. Found a warm one that sizzled
when I touched it.

Luckily I had purchased a tandem breaker (two separate circuits that
fits in a single breaker slot) back when I took possession of the
house.

Is there a limit on how many tandem breakers can be installed in a
breaker panel? There are two now, and at least one other double-tapped
circuit in the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Last night I had a double-tapped breaker fail. Turns out the former
owner put most of the overhead lighting, and the living room outlets,
on these two taps.

It's a Cutler-Hammer box so the double-tap was legal.

The basement overheads started flickering as I was working, and soon
went out. When I got to the panel, I could smell something was wrong,
so I started feeling breakers for heat. Found a warm one that sizzled
when I touched it.

Luckily I had purchased a tandem breaker (two separate circuits that
fits in a single breaker slot) back when I took possession of the
house.

Is there a limit on how many tandem breakers can be installed in a
breaker panel? There are two now, and at least one other double-tapped
circuit in the house.

I'm glad you posted this question.

I had a new box installed 2 weeks ago. Siemens made in Canada Box with
Siemens made in USA breakers. I have 7 tandem breakers (thereby 14
circuits) on one side of the box. Siemens refers to this box as a 32/64
thereby implying that this box can handle 32 tandems i.e. 64 circuits.

The electrician's works was inspected and approved by the Electrical Safety
Authority in Ontario.

Now these 7 tandems breakers are located on the side side of the panel as
the following Electric dryer, electric stove, 230 V pool pump and central
air circuit. I'm not concerned about the stove and dryer because we use
gas but I throw that out there to see what people would think about all
tandems and high draw circuits on one side of the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2010 1:23 PM, wrote:
Last night I had a double-tapped breaker fail. Turns out the former
owner put most of the overhead lighting, and the living room outlets,
on these two taps.

It's a Cutler-Hammer box so the double-tap was legal.

The basement overheads started flickering as I was working, and soon
went out. When I got to the panel, I could smell something was wrong,
so I started feeling breakers for heat. Found a warm one that sizzled
when I touched it.

Luckily I had purchased a tandem breaker (two separate circuits that
fits in a single breaker slot) back when I took possession of the
house.

Is there a limit on how many tandem breakers can be installed in a
breaker panel? There are two now, and at least one other double-tapped
circuit in the house.

There are usually a limited number of spaces that will accept the
tandem breakers indicated by different looking sections on the buss.
The newer panels have spaces at the bottom made for tandem breakers.
Do your tandem breakers have a different looking slot than the standard
breakers? There is a label on the door of the breaker panel that will
tell you what the maximum load rating is. If you look up the model
number online you should be able to find out if it's rated for tandem
breakers and how many. Quite often, another brand of breaker will fit
when the OEM tandem wont.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2010 4:18 PM, The Henchman wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

i think the OP was referring to what i've heard called "minis". Two
breakers that fit a single spot.

A "tandem" is two breakers in one that fit in two spots.

OP can correct as needed.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Henchman" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

The panel buss alternates both legs all the way down and on both sides, so
it doesn't matter unless you installed them every other space, in which case
they'd be on the same leg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Henchman wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Nice description.

Parts may be specific to the US.

A panel will have a limit on the number of 'poles' that are allowed - in
the case above it is 64. It is the number of poles with which the panel
was tested for listing. As several people have said, the label contains
the information.

The NEC (and UL) require that tandem devices have a 'feature' that only
allows them to be installed in panel positions where the manufacturer
has a corresponding 'feature'. These are called class CTL panels and
breakers (circuit limiting). For SquareD, the 'feature' on the breaker
is a bar that has to fit into a slot in the mounting rail. In a 32/64
panel all the positions would have the 'feature'.

Tandem breakers are also made for old (non-CTL) panels and do not have
the 'feature', so they fit in any position. I am sure no one would use
them in a class CTL panel.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Steve Barker wrote:

i think the OP was referring to what i've heard called "minis". Two
breakers that fit a single spot.

IOW, a tandem breaker.

A "tandem" is two breakers in one that fit in two spots.

No, it's not. That's a double-pole breaker.