Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Legal number of tandem circuit breakers in a panel

On 10/11/2010 4:18 PM, The Henchman wrote:

wrote in message
Last night I had a double-tapped breaker fail. Turns out the former
owner put most of the overhead lighting, and the living room outlets,
on these two taps.

It's a Cutler-Hammer box so the double-tap was legal.

The basement overheads started flickering as I was working, and soon
went out. When I got to the panel, I could smell something was wrong,
so I started feeling breakers for heat. Found a warm one that sizzled
when I touched it.

Luckily I had purchased a tandem breaker (two separate circuits that
fits in a single breaker slot) back when I took possession of the
house.

Is there a limit on how many tandem breakers can be installed in a
breaker panel? There are two now, and at least one other double-tapped
circuit in the house.

I'm glad you posted this question.

I had a new box installed 2 weeks ago. Siemens made in Canada Box with
Siemens made in USA breakers. I have 7 tandem breakers (thereby 14
circuits) on one side of the box. Siemens refers to this box as a 32/64
thereby implying that this box can handle 32 tandems i.e. 64 circuits.

The electrician's works was inspected and approved by the Electrical
Safety Authority in Ontario.

Now these 7 tandems breakers are located on the side side of the panel
as the following Electric dryer, electric stove, 230 V pool pump and
central air circuit. I'm not concerned about the stove and dryer because
we use gas but I throw that out there to see what people would think
about all tandems and high draw circuits on one side of the box.

i think the OP was referring to what i've heard called "minis". Two
breakers that fit a single spot.

A "tandem" is two breakers in one that fit in two spots.

OP can correct as needed.

--
Steve Barker