Walter R.

Default Main Panel alive with breakers off?

I read today on the Underwriters Lab website that a main panel can be alive
although the main circuit breaker is OFF. They did not elaborate.

How is that possible? When I turn the main circuit breaker to the house to
OFF , all electricity is supposed to be OFF. Or not?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

HotRod

translation for DUMMIES

When you shut off the main breaker there is still "HOT" power between the
breaker and the outside of the house "Road Power" So the inside of where you
want to install a new breaker is "DEAD"

Speedy Jim

HotRod wrote:
translation for DUMMIES

When you shut off the main breaker there is still "HOT" power between the
breaker and the outside of the house "Road Power" So the inside of where you
want to install a new breaker is "DEAD"

Unless the panel is an older "Split Bus" panel as was explained.
In that case, replacing any one of the 6 disconnect breakers
is done "Live" and can be extremely dangerous!

Jim
Charles

Don't forget about checking that the main breaker didn't "stick" when it is
turned off.. This does happen from thime to time. I always check for power
after turning off a breaker.