bryanska

Default Why are a couple breakers on my panel oily?

Hey I am busy tracking down a flickering light problem.

I noticed three of the breakers in my panel have a light coating of an
oily substance. Do any of you have this? Shouldn't these things be
totally dry?

Toller

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey I am busy tracking down a flickering light problem.

I noticed three of the breakers in my panel have a light coating of an
oily substance. Do any of you have this? Shouldn't these things be
totally dry?

Aluminum wire? All I can think is that someone got sloppy with antioxidant.
There shouldn't be anything else greasy near a circuit box.

Duane Bozarth

Toller wrote:

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey I am busy tracking down a flickering light problem.

I noticed three of the breakers in my panel have a light coating of an
oily substance. Do any of you have this? Shouldn't these things be
totally dry?

Aluminum wire? All I can think is that someone got sloppy with antioxidant.
There shouldn't be anything else greasy near a circuit box.

Flickering circuit makes me think of oxidized connection--hot
terminal. Result is outgassing of plastic/insulation collecting on
surface, perhaps?

OP, I'd sure be looking very closely at any signs of overheating,
checking for loose connections, signs of oxidation/burn insulation,
etc., etc.

If I didn't find something easily correctible I'd recommend a pro,
espectially if this is new symptom. Could be early warning sign of
potentially serious trouble.
bryanska

All I can think is that someone got sloppy with antioxidant.
There shouldn't be anything else greasy near a circuit box.

What do you think about rain? I wonder if rain got into the box, and
diluted the antioxidant paste, and pushed it out.

PipeDown

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey I am busy tracking down a flickering light problem.

I noticed three of the breakers in my panel have a light coating of an
oily substance. Do any of you have this? Shouldn't these things be
totally dry?

Just 3 and none of the others. Electrician with dirty hands maybe. or used
the three spares from the bottom of his toolbox.

If the rest of the box is clean, I suggest they were dirty before they were
installed.

antioxident paste is not water soluable (it excludes water and air to
prevent corrosion) so should not be redistributed by water and should not
vaporize due to heat. Though that may be exactly what is on them just not
how.

Toller

wrote in message
Someone over greased the electrical panel. You should only put 3 or 4
squirts from a grease gun into eack grease fitting on the breaker box.
I have seen people pump the grease gun until the entire box is filled
with grease. One guy put in so much grease it was coming out every
outlet in the house and some of the lightbulbs were even filled with
grease. Remember, you are only lubricating the wires so they dont
squeak when they fill with electricity.

I was about to ask you what the hell you were talking about, but I kept
reading.

zephyr

wrote in message
Someone over greased the electrical panel. You should only put 3 or 4
squirts from a grease gun into eack grease fitting on the breaker box.
I have seen people pump the grease gun until the entire box is filled
with grease. One guy put in so much grease it was coming out every
outlet in the house and some of the lightbulbs were even filled with
grease. Remember, you are only lubricating the wires so they dont
squeak when they fill with electricity.

I've got squeaky wires, especially at night time when the house is quite
you can hear them,
what type of grease do you recommend? Also, after reading your post I
looked for a fitting on my panel, but didn't see one similar to a grease
nipple on my trailer tires,
are the two similar at all?

Thanks,

Dave

oh, and by the way, I just found this new fantastic brand of blinker fluid
for my car, the lights have never worked better since I started using it.

bryanska

OP, I'd sure be looking very closely at any signs of overheating,
checking for loose connections, signs of oxidation/burn insulation,
etc., etc.

If I didn't find something easily correctible I'd recommend a pro,
espectially if this is new symptom. Could be early warning sign of
potentially serious trouble.

Well, I opened every outlet, junction and switch box on the entire
circuit to check the connections. All were pretty secure except one,
which I re-tightened with a new wire nut. All the connections looked
like copper to me.

I unplugged a "permanent" extension cord the previous owner had drawn
through a basement window and left outside.

The lights still flicker. I am waiting on the power company to check
the house connection.

Tonight I'm thinking of turning off the main and having a look inside
the breaker box.

I don't think it's grease - it's very oily and clear.

zephyr wrote:
wrote in message
Someone over greased the electrical panel. You should only put 3 or 4
squirts from a grease gun into eack grease fitting on the breaker box.
I have seen people pump the grease gun until the entire box is filled
with grease. One guy put in so much grease it was coming out every
outlet in the house and some of the lightbulbs were even filled with
grease. Remember, you are only lubricating the wires so they dont
squeak when they fill with electricity.

I've got squeaky wires, especially at night time when the house is quite
you can hear them,

Probably the linings are shot and need to be replaced.

what type of grease do you recommend? Also, after reading your post I
looked for a fitting on my panel, but didn't see one similar to a grease
nipple on my trailer tires,
are the two similar at all?

Thanks,

Dave

oh, and by the way, I just found this new fantastic brand of blinker fluid
for my car, the lights have never worked better since I started using it.

Duane Bozarth

bryanska wrote:

[...]

Did you check grounds/neutrals?

Is this only a single circuit or do other circuits in the house have a
problem too? If it's only one, it won't be the house connection.

I'd be looking especially closely at the ground/neutral connections in
the supply box and for signs of overheating there if (as this sounds
like) you haven't.

Are any of these breakers warm to the touch?

bryanska

Did you check grounds/neutrals?

Two ceiling light boxes in the basement are ungrounded. These are just
bare light bulbs screwed into ceramic collar-type fixtures that are
directly attached to a junction box. The ground wire that should be
entering the junction box is peeled from the bundle and snipped off
before it enters the box.

Is this only a single circuit or do other circuits in the house have a
problem too? If it's only one, it won't be the house connection.

I've read this, but have also read that the whole house connection
should be checked. Since it's free, I figured they might as well.

I'd be looking especially closely at the ground/neutral connections in
the supply box and for signs of overheating there if (as this sounds
like) you haven't.

That is the next step: taking off the box cover and checking things
inside. I'll tighten all the ground screws and look at the bar to check
for signs of arcing and corrosion.

Everyone says to look for arcing signs: blackened or burned things
around the ground connection. Should I be looking for anything else?

We had a huge storm on September 20th and I wonder if it started then.
I don't seem to remember it when we first moved in on August 31st. The
power was out for 4 days. This is another reason the power company
should check: they had to put up over a thousand new poles in the MPLS
area.

None of the breakers are warm to the touch. All are the same
temperature.

bryanska

They save a bundle by not having to lube the wires, but after a decade or so they start to squeal and you're stuck with having to replace all the wires. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The wires are Lucas branded: "Made in the UK" and then stamped with the
phrase "Bob's Your Uncle".

Should I be concerned?

Andy Hill

"bryanska" wrote:
All I can think is that someone got sloppy with antioxidant.
There shouldn't be anything else greasy near a circuit box.

What do you think about rain? I wonder if rain got into the box, and
diluted the antioxidant paste, and pushed it out.

Pop off the cover of the break box and take a look-see. Any significant water
ingress is going to leave lots of signs (stains & corroded connections at the
very least).
Andy Hill

"zephyr" wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
Someone over greased the electrical panel. You should only put 3 or 4
squirts from a grease gun into eack grease fitting on the breaker box.
I have seen people pump the grease gun until the entire box is filled
with grease. One guy put in so much grease it was coming out every
outlet in the house and some of the lightbulbs were even filled with
grease. Remember, you are only lubricating the wires so they dont
squeak when they fill with electricity.

I've got squeaky wires, especially at night time when the house is quite
you can hear them,
what type of grease do you recommend? Also, after reading your post I
looked for a fitting on my panel, but didn't see one similar to a grease
nipple on my trailer tires,
are the two similar at all?

You probably have greaseless wires. Lots of builders cut costs by using cheap
sleeve wires instead of a quality ball-bearing wire. They save a bundle by
not having to lube the wires, but after a decade or so they start to squeal and
you're stuck with having to replace all the wires. Sorry to be the bearer of
bad news.
Amun

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
They save a bundle by not having to lube the wires, but after a decade or

so they start to squeal and you're stuck with having to replace all the
wires. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The wires are Lucas branded: "Made in the UK" and then stamped with the
phrase "Bob's Your Uncle".

Should I be concerned?

Made in the U.K. ?
Then you probably have metric wiring.

Not a big problem, but when the time comes to add circuits you will need a
metric converter kit.
Just ask at any electrical supply, they will also be able to sell you the
metric wire nuts you will need too.
Although they may need a few days to special order them

bryanska

Then you probably have metric wiring.

lol...

Seriously, any advice about what to look for in the panel is
appreciated.

Amun

"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
Then you probably have metric wiring.

lol...

Seriously, any advice about what to look for in the panel is
appreciated.

Seriously !
There is nothing in a panel that can leak oil.
Wipe if off with a rag, and forget about it.

AMUN

Andy Hill

"bryanska" wrote:
They save a bundle by not having to lube the wires, but after a decade or so they start to squeal and you're stuck with having to replace all the wires. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The wires are Lucas branded: "Made in the UK" and then stamped with the
phrase "Bob's Your Uncle".

Should I be concerned?

Yeah, if this is supposed to be a lighting circuit, you're totally screwed.
Lucas wires are only intended for use in darkness circuits.

Of course, that may be the root of the problem -- the oil may be ectoplasm
leaking out of a darkness circuit. A whole-house exorcism may be in order.

Amun wrote:
"bryanska" wrote in message
oups.com...
They save a bundle by not having to lube the wires, but after a decade or

so they start to squeal and you're stuck with having to replace all the
wires. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The wires are Lucas branded: "Made in the UK" and then stamped with the
phrase "Bob's Your Uncle".

Should I be concerned?

Made in the U.K. ?
Then you probably have metric wiring.

Not a big problem, but when the time comes to add circuits you will need a
metric converter kit.
Just ask at any electrical supply, they will also be able to sell you the
metric wire nuts you will need too.
Although they may need a few days to special order them

Houses of this era were often built with munimulanim wiring.

bryanska

Houses of this era were often built with munimulanim wiring.

Never said when the house was built.

Andy Hill wrote:
"bryanska" wrote:
They save a bundle by not having to lube the wires, but after a decade or so they start to squeal and you're stuck with having to replace all the wires. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The wires are Lucas branded: "Made in the UK" and then stamped with the
phrase "Bob's Your Uncle".

Should I be concerned?

Yeah, if this is supposed to be a lighting circuit, you're totally screwed.
Lucas wires are only intended for use in darkness circuits.

Of course, that may be the root of the problem -- the oil may be ectoplasm
leaking out of a darkness circuit. A whole-house exorcism may be in order.

Oil on the breakers is a sure sign the house is infested with owls.
You'll have to boil it.